Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Germany/Austria.(ALPS AREAS).My review, if interested!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2000, 05:47 AM
john

Hello my fine travelers! <BR> <BR>I promised to report back on my trip through the alpine splender of Germany and Austria. For those interested...here goes: <BR> <BR>Date Wed April 26th <BR>Group: Myself (48yr Male) My Frau (no age given!!) My wifes parents (in their 70's) <BR> <BR>Flight: Newark to Frankfurt. Lufthansa 747 <BR> <BR>"Good Things" (Thanks Martha!) Nice smooth flight, half full so we spread out, Top service, food good! <BR>"Bad things" We witness the "Terror at 30,000 feet" A young Itallian couple let their "Lil Demon" run through the plane. Unfortunatly, they had set up shop behind my In-Laws. While the Father (boyfriend?) slept in a different section (no dummy!), the wife (girlfriend?) read a glamour magazine and their offspring kicked and jumped around the seats. I quickly went into my "Fodor inspired travel pack" and set my father in-law up with a travel pillow, ear plugs and a good magazine (he wasn't moving!), my wife and her Mother,and assorted other seatmates, moved to the back of the plane. After about 3 hrs the "little love" hit the sack!...Great Start!! <BR> <BR>Thursday Morning arrive at Frankfurt and proceed to get our rental car. Great deal from "Auto-Europe", a Mercedes 180 Wagon for $385 for 9 days!! I cannot wait to speed down the autobahn in a Mercedes!! Jet-lagged at the counter I am having a bit of trouble understanding the patient desk clerk telling me that I have not reserved a Mercedes??? It seems that even though I had reconfirmed in the USA, the computer in Germany had me listed in a much lower class of auto?? She proceeded to call Auto Europe and explain the situation. The very stressed agent at AE tried to call around for his other contacts in Frankfurt, but no Mercedes' were available. I had to "settle" for a "Opel Astra Wagon", a decidedly less glamorous car! The rate was negotiated down to $220 for 9 days (by the way, my credit card had already been charged the highr rate!) <BR>"Good Things": Although I didn't know it at the time, that car was wonderful!! It held four adults and all our luggage with room to spare!! It was a 5 speed 16 valve, and had plenty of "PEP!!" Great auto, save your money and rent the Opels in Germany. I believe it is the number 2 seller in Germany (behind the VW's) <BR> <BR>"Locked and Loaded", we are heading down to Rothenburg for our first two nights. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg: <BR> I have been to this town 5 times, I love it here! You all have read the posts from Fodors, this is a great place to start a trip. <BR>"Good Things" I'll hit a few of many. <BR>1. Beautiful "walled" town. Great strolling to be had!! <BR>2. "Watchmans" Tour: 8PM Group of mostly Americans, meet in the "Town Square" and stroll along with a town guide, decked out as a Medival Watchman. Fascinating history tour! (5DM) <BR>3. Criminal Museum I am not into "Inside" things, but this was a verrry interesting Museum. Wow, do I have some neighbors I would like to put in the "dunkTank"!! <BR>4. Shopping! Not my cup of tea! but..you can pick up a ton of stuff here, especially at the "Kathe Wolfhardt" (sp?) megalopolis/Disney land. If you want to do some serious shopping, head to Nurenberg and go to the Department stores. Steiff's there are a better value! <BR> <BR>"Bad Things": Let me say that I usually go "off season" to Europe, usually for skiing, so I might be a bit biased here but...here goes <BR>1. Crowds If you love them, this is your town! It was getting crowded for me even in late April! The tour buses arive early, stay till about 3 and then pull out. Exploring around their schedual makes for a better time! <BR> <BR>Saturday moved on down to Fussen: <BR> <BR>I have been to Ludwigs Castle numerous times, I wanted to give my In-laws that experience! <BR> <BR>"Good Things" I find the 'Schloss Nymphenburg" a facinating place! After the "schnell" driving on the Autobahn, I needed the walk up to the Castle. For those who dont know, it is a long and a bit hard walk up to the castle. I had put my wife and In-laws (hereby known as Team NJ) on the bus tour that leaves from up the "strasse" from the parking area. While they took the tour, I spent my time hiking up and around for "photo ops". If you have time, look for the signs that lead to the "Marienbruck". This is the area where the "footbridge" is located. I am afraid of heights, and this bridge tested my resolve. Especially when a tour group decended on it and made for an overcrowded situation! <BR>"Bad Things" Crowds! Again, it is a very famous place, everyone has seen the pictures on every travel poster of Germany <BR> <BR>Saturday night in Ruette Austria. NOTE: There are no longer any "Toll" or Border crossing guards between Germany and Austria! (The EU has something to do with this!) I miss them!! It was fun, to me at least, to "Show my Papers"!! I felt it added to the European Experience!....oh well! <BR> <BR>Now the fun begins! Up and through the alps to Dornbirn. I love the Alps! The weather I might add, was wonderful throughout my trip (no rain, sunny in the 60's-70's) The trip took us through the beautiful postcard valleys and over the Alps,where they were still skiing!, and down to Dornbirn on Lake Constance. I'll skip this part because it was were "Team NJ" was born, and that is the only reason to go there!...sorry <BR> <BR>Monday (May Day Holiday in Europe) Travweling back from Voralberg toward Innsbruck. Yes, again over and through the Alps, but this time stopping at a few May Day celebrations! Great luck, saw a raising of the May Pole and the town dressed in their local finest! This time no crowds just pure Europe!! <BR> <BR>Innsbruck/Hall im Tirol: Those of you Rick Steves fans know this town. Once again, "Team NJ" has relatives here! But I would highly recommend this area to lovers of Alpine scenery, with a bigger town feel! <BR> <BR>Here we spent Monday, Tuesday <BR> <BR>Wednesday Salsburg area. (Kuchl) <BR>Wanted to see: <BR>Hallstatt, Salt Mines, Ice Caves and Gossau <BR> <BR>Quick review: <BR>Ice Caves:....never made it! <BR>Gossau: Beautiful! Wonderful Dachstein Mountains, lakes! Great area! <BR>Salt Mines: Hallien area. I had been here 25 years ago (Remember Europe on $5 a Day) as a "backpacking" student. This salt mine had fond memories back then!...however it was a major dissapointment this time! They have changed the way the mine is toured. Back then you started on top of the Mountain, went into the mine with a guide, and slid down about 7 slides, verry steep! great fun! You finished down by the parking lot in the valley. I guess now with litigation and stuff, they had to temper the "experience". Now you get a "slow cable ride" up, a train ride in, 2 small slides and a corny "Disney like" boat ride, and a train ride out. On top of that, you have a very steep climb back up to the cable car! I had to leave "team NJ" and go get the car, and try to find my way back up to the mine entrance. Only recommend thie salt mine for people with children, they will like it! <BR> <BR>Hallstatt: Here is where I think I was too "hyped" to see this town. Yes it was very scenic, yes it was very quaint, but..I think I was spoiled by reading that this was most peoples favorite town. <BR> <BR>Overall I thought the Tirolean area was more impressive for me than the Salsburg area....so we quickly made it back and settled in Garmish Germany area for the final two days. <BR> <BR>Thursday Friday Farchant (just outside Garmish) <BR> <BR>I love Garmish Parkinkirchen! It has a beautiful town, hardy Bavarians, and great variety of places to stay! A great base to tour the Tirolean area! You have nearby: <BR>Schloss Linderhof <BR>Mittenwald( one of my favorite small towns) <BR>Oberammergau <BR>Fussen (about 1hr away) <BR>and Garmish itself! <BR> <BR>We had the great fortune to be in town for the "Spring Fest", where the "Pedestrian Zone" was transformed into an Octoberfest type celebration with great Beer and great "Wursts" <BR> <BR>WOW! I just got back and I guess I was a bit long winded....so if any one wants to know any particulars like....Gas Prices (14AS/liter and 1.86DM) and such...well drop me an email I will be happy to reply! <BR>JOHN <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 2000, 06:08 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

John, Glad to see you back. I love your <BR>writing style---very net but good info. <BR>We were in the same area last May Day <BR>and shared many of the same adventures. <BR>Sorry you were disappointed in Hallstatt. We were there on the day of their annual Mini-marathon race and every serious runner within a 300 mile <BR>radius was there that day--what a sight. <BR>I share your thoughts about Gosau. <BR>Did you make it to Wolfgangsee?

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:44 PM
john

Bob: <BR> <BR>I will reply by email <BR> <BR>John

Old May 10th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Barb

John- <BR>Enjoyed your review of your visit to Austria & Germany! We're packing out in a month for both countries and I enjoyed hearing about your trip. We have visited both countries on several trips, but just can't seem to get our fill! <BR>Would love to re-visit Garmish and Mittenwald, but are concerned about all of the visitors taking in the Passion Play. <BR>We're trying to escape the crowds and find some relaxation in the Ziller Valley (South of Innsbruck) or in the Lake region South of Salzburg. <BR>Any comments?

Old May 12th, 2000, 05:11 AM
john

Hi: <BR> <BR>Although I have spent time in both areas, I did not spend enough time to give a good opinion. As I stated in my re-cap, I was not too crazy about the Salzburg area, but then again I did not spend too much time there! I agree that Garmish is the choice but the Passion Play will bring in too many people....Innsbruck sounds intriquing! You have some pretty areas around Innsbruck and you are just a short hop over the Brenner Pass to Italy. I hear the Sud-Tirol is beautiful! I guess I will leave the more educated remarks to my German/Austrian colleagues on this Forum. <BR>JOHN

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 08:22 AM
Jodi

John, do you have any suggestions on where to stay in the Garmisch area? I've called several farms already that I found on the net and they are booked (July 22-25). We would consider going further into Austria, also. Please advise if you have any suggestions for a family of 5. Thanks.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 09:09 AM
Maira

Very lively, interesting trip report! Thanks for the details. What about hotels? Any good recs?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:07 AM
John

Hi Jodi: <BR> <BR>That time of the year will be tough but not impossible! There is a tourist board (Information center) just outside the town of Partenkirchen that will list all available zimmers! Another suggestion is to look at the areas around Garmish (Farchant, Oberau, Grainau) those have numerous places for rent. Drop me an email if you need any more information <BR>JOHN

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:15 AM
carol

John: Where did you guys stay in Rothenburg?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:06 AM
John

Carol: <BR> <BR>We stayed in the Gerberhaus @ 140 dm for double w/breakfast. It was a toss p between that and the Homburg. The rooms were nice but we faced the courtyard and it got a bit noisy (no air so you leave the windows open!) I discovered a wonderful bargain just outside Rothenburg (about 2km) that I will give you if you like . If you have a car it would bea great option Just drop me an email if yo'are interested Ihave to get my notes on the place. <BR>PS: Dont forget to take the Nightwatchmans tour at 8pm every night! <BR>JOHN