Just back from family trip to london, happy to answer questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from one week in London with two kids, 5 and 9. Happy to answer questions.

EE
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I'm going in a few weeks -- tell us about where you went, what you saw, where you stayed and ate, and your overall impressions! We'd love to hear them!

Happy Travels

Jules
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

we stayed at the chancery court hotel, lovely, reasonably good location near a good tube stop(holborn). On good bus lines as well.

For the kids:
London Eye(of course)
Duck Tour(amphibian vehicle that is seaworthy). A little over an hour land and thames tour. Great for kids.
Science Museum, wonderful kid friendly
Tower of London(take the beefeater tour, they leave on the hour).You can buy entrance tix in advance at the Tube or from your hotel concierge
London Aquarium

My older child liked the Parliment tour as well, they get crowded so reserve early.

Pizza Express was great for kids. There are a bunch of them. Good quality pizza

London is a wonderful town to enjoy with children. With the weak dollar it is extrodinarily expensive. (Pizza for 4 ran about $70.00).

For the tube, they sell family tix which are day passes that allow children to ride free, and the adult price is discounted. The tube is essential, as it is easy to forget that London is the second largest city in the world.

Have a graet trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Ellene-I'll post to this since as Patrick noted you've got two threads going. We are going in October with our 6-year old; any other restaurants stand out besides Pizza Express?

Also, did you go on any day trips--I think we are going to do Hampton Court but I'd love any other feedback you have.

Thanks!

Mary
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
ajs

ellene

Just returned last week ourselves with two kids 7 & 9. Wish we had done the Science Museum, but ran out of time. Stayed at the Travel Inn County Hall, could see the Eye and the Thames out of our window. Big room for four, great place, 80 pounds a night. We found stopping in to a Sainsbury's for good sandwiches and chips the way to go for lunch; fed all four of us for less than $20. Gotta look hard for bargains in London, but we had some pretty good dinners (Indian, Chinese Dim Sum) for less than $90. Did you see any theater?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

We did legoland in Windsor, which was great for both ages of my kids(my son is a lego fanatic). This is an easy trip(as is the castle) from London. 50 minute train, and easy connecting bus. You buy a combo tix for both legoland admission, train and bus at the train station in london.

We saw Mary Poppins, which was fabulous, way better than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We bought tickets from Ticketmaster, before we came.

We took the kids to the Ivy pre-theatre, and they were great with them, coloring pads and crayons, and were willing to go off the menu as well.

We mostly did pizza or italian with the kids, and looked to the concierge to make suggestions. Threre are also Mcdonalds all around, and subway.
There is a great guide book, I think it is Fodors around london with kids, that lists child friendly restaurants at all the major attractions. Very good book, and easy to cary. I agree that ethinic is the way go go, had great Korean, and there are tons of chinese and Indian options.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM

EE--thanks; we have tickets to Mary Poppins so we are excited; unfortunately, CCBB is closing so we'll go see it in New York. Thanks for the tip on the Ivy, wouldn't have thought it would be child-friendly, good to know.

thanks again,

Mary