Just back from a great visit to Prague

Apr 7th, 1999, 06:31 AM
Lisa

Just back from a great visit to Prague

We had a great time in Prague, which is a beautiful city with fantastic music everywhere. Prices are reasonable and English is now spoken almost everywhere. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Apr 7th, 1999, 08:05 AM
claudia

Hi Lisa,
Glad you had a good trip. Here are some questions:
1) Where did you stay?
2) What was your best restaurant experience?
3) What was your best "off the beaten track" experience?
4) Did you see any of the "Black Theater" performances

and for what I really want to know...
which ATM system are they on Plus or Cirrus amd do cards expiring after xx/00 work in the ATMs???

Apr 8th, 1999, 05:15 AM
the turnip

Thank you Lisa!

I'm really looking forward to hearing your replies to the above questions.
One or two more additions;

Did you have any trouble with pickpockets or restaurant ripoffs?

What were your favorite "must-see's"?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 10th, 1999, 08:05 PM
Lisa

We rented a lovely apartment just off Wenceslas Square, which was much more comfortable and reasonable than a hotel. The broker was extremely helpful. He is Lukas Pichl, 0042-02-301-87-09, or 0042-0602-836-553.
The best restaurant was the Palffy Palace, a nouvelle restaurant in Stare Mesto, across the river from the Rudolfinium. Food and service were superb.
Best "off the beaten track" was a park around the Vysherad fortress. There is a church there with Art Nouveau decorations which are absolutely lovely. There are beautiful views of the river and of the whole city.
I loved the Black Theater. We saw Alice in Wonderland which is definitely NOT for children. The special effects are amazing. We also loved Don Giovanni performed by puppets.
We found loads of cirrus and plus ATMS, but I don't know about Y2k. Why not call plus or cirrus directly?
Absolutely no sign of pickpockets or other crime although we were overcharged once by a taxi. Ask a restaurant or hotel concierge to call a cab for you; they know the reliable cos. Or, better yet, take the metro although it stops at midnight. We didn't find any restaurant rip-offs.
Must-sees include the Old Town Square, Hradcany castle, St. Vitus Cathedral (great stained glass), and of course the Charles Bridge. We found the Jewish Quarter to be very interesting.
Have fun!

Apr 11th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Denise

Hi Lisa,

My daughter is presently in Vienna as an exchange student. She is planning to visit Prague (our prior exchange daughter lives there) in the next 2 weeks. An American traveling on the train told us while we were there with her, that the U.S. issued a warning about American students traveling to Prague. Now my husband is concerned about letting her go She is 16, but as I said, she has friends and family to stay with. Is there any reason to be concerned? Prague is truly beautiful and I would hate for her to miss the opportunity to visit the city. She returns to the u.s, in early June.
Thanks,
Denise

Apr 15th, 1999, 07:21 PM
Lisa

I don't see anything to worry about. We felt really safe in Prague.

Apr 16th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Helena

I don't think there's anything unusual here for your daughter to worry about. She should be aware of pickpockets, but other than that, there aren't any political situations or unusual dangers lurking in Prague. Have her be very careful with her money/id/passport, and the rest will be fine. Oh, and tell her not to talk to anyone at the main train station, especially people selling rooms in pensions/hostels. There's stiff competition among the hostels/smaller hotels for guests, and at times the customers end up being harassed. Avoid the train station in general, and she'll have no trouble.

Apr 21st, 1999, 07:27 AM
Claire

Given the situation in Kosovo, and recent demonstrations in Prague, did you - as an American - feel threatened? or a target for anti-American, anti-Nato acts of violence? (I'm traveling to Brno for business on May 1, then had planned a four-day vacation in Prague.)

Apr 22nd, 1999, 07:30 PM
Lisa

No problem! People were friendly and helpful. No-one seemed particularly interested in Kosovo.

Apr 24th, 1999, 07:35 PM
Denni

Hi Lisa. What is the best way to get around in Prague. We will have a van rented, but wonder if busses or taxis are better. How about on foot - can you expect to cover some of the main sights walking? Did you take any organized tours and what do you advise about these vs. doing your own thing?

Apr 30th, 1999, 06:25 PM
Lisa

The metro is great, really cheap, clean, and comes frequently. The only disadvantage is that it stops at midnight. Cabs can be a rip-off. If you must take one, ask the hotel or restaurant staff to call one for you. They know the reliable companies. Distances are small within the old town and it is a delightful city for walking. We didn't do any organized tours but used a book of walking tours which we found at the library. That was fun.

May 5th, 1999, 06:35 PM
Sally

Hi Lisa,
My husband and I are trying to add 2 or 3 nights in Prague at the end of our France/Germany/Switzerland/Austria trip (17 days total). Did you cover the entire city when you were there? I was wondering if all main sections - Prague castle, Old Town, Lesser Quarter, New Town, Jewish Quarter - are do-able in two days and if not, what the priorities would be. Thanks in advance!

May 5th, 1999, 07:21 PM
g potvin

You can see a lot in two days. Much of the old city is a walking zone, and we love to wander. The old town square and it's churches and clock tower are a good place to start. We have walked up to the castle twice, and it is a walk but well worth it. We then return through Josefov. Make sure you see the Charles Bridge - it is beautiful anytime, but we really like it at dusk. Youamy also want to go to Kotva (department store) for great values on crystal.

Pilsner Urquel is probably the best beer in the world, so if you are inclined try it and it won't cost you an arm and a leg like the rest of Europe. Good Luck,