Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

JUST BACK FROM 3 WEEKS IN IRELAND. ANY QUESTIONS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 06:27 AM
Bev

Will be glad to try and answer any questions you might have about Ireland.

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 09:22 AM
Mavis

Hi, going to Ireland in Sept. for second time. Wondering about a couple of things - do you know/have heard about RyanAir, we are flying with them fr. Manchester to Dublin and I get the impression they are a tiny airline - no scary stories? Also, anything in Galway and Waterford (we have cottages rented there) we shouldn't miss? Thx.

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 10:09 AM
Bill

Welcome back! <BR> <BR>Where did you go? We're going to the Southwestern corner (Clare, Kerry, West Cork) in August. Any recommendations for good pubs, restaurants, sights, things to do? <BR>(We already have our accommodations reserved; otherwise I'd ask about that too.) <BR>Thanks1 <BR> <BR>- Bill

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 02:38 PM
Helen

Hello! I'm going to Ireland for the first time this August. Do you have any recommendations for B&B accomodations in Dublin. Also, do you have any opinions about the Aran islands? Is it worth going? Transport to/from, etc.? <BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 05:27 PM
Bev

Mavis--I do not know anything about Ryan Air. We used Tramore as a base for Waterford. We did the crystal factory tour and went to the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle. We stayed outside of Galway and went to the Aran Islands. <BR> <BR>Bill--We ate our meals in pubs and the bars of hotels, good food and cheaper prices. In County Cork we had dinner in Kinsale at the bar at the White House. The Blarney Castle is touristy, but it is an interesting castle and the grounds are nice. If you are into Irish whiskey there is a tour of the Jameson Distillery in Midleton. County Kerry--the Muckross House and Gardens and Kerry the Kingdom Museum in Tralee. We didn't do the Ring of Kerry, but did the Slea Head Drive in Dingle instead. No tour buses to contend with and just as beautiful scenery. Also the Blasket Islands Interpretive Center was interesting and informative. Dingle is a great place to stay. Had good food at Paudies Bar (excellent salmon) and also at Murphy's Pub. We heard that O'Flahtery's Pub is good for music. We lucked out on the weather and had a beautiful day at the Cliffs of Moher, and were able to hike along the cliffs. The Burren is an interesting drive. We stayed in Doolin and went to O'Conner's Pub for music. You need to experience the music once either in Dingle or Doolin.You can go to the Aran Islands from Doolin. <BR> <BR>Helen--We stayed at Ferryview House in Clontarf. Chose it as it was right on the bus line into Dublin. It was clean and in a good location, but it was the most unfriendly and had the least breakfast choices of any B&B we stayed in. We stayed in Spiddal, just out of Galway and took the ferry from Rossaveal to the Aran Islands. If weather is good it is worth it. We took a tour, they are waiting at the dock to pounce on you. We had heard the drivers don't give much information. If you can find Daniel he will give you a very good informative 2 1/2 hr. tour. He drives a van. We felt it was worth it.

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 12:28 AM
Rich

Hi! I'm traveling to Ireland the 1st 2 weeks of July. I plan to stay in the southern part of the island around Wexford, Waterford, Cork, Dingle, then up the coast to Galway before going to Dublin. Do you reccommend any places to stay, eat, etc.? I am very interested in train or coach routes and fares. Thanks for any help you might give.

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 10:42 AM
Helen

Hi Bev. Thanks for your responses. Now here's a question about car rental. we will be arriving in Dublin and leaving from Shannon. We haven't decided yet whether to get a car for the whole week or just a couple of days. I am wondering if it would be more expensive to pick it up in one city and drop it off in another? (like it is in the US)

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 02:19 PM
Bev

Rich--Since we had a car I really don't know anything about trains, etc. We used the Lonely Planet Ireland book, and it has a section on trains and buses. It is also a good source for hostels, B&B's, etc. The B&B's were filling up already the end of May, but we found that if they were full they were willing to call around and find you a place. <BR>We didn't go to Wexford. In Waterford County we stayed in Tramore. One of our favorite places was the Cliff House. Tel. 051 381497 or fax same number. <BR>A good pub for food is the Seahorse in Tramore. <BR>Dingle is great as I described in the above answer. <BR> <BR>Helen--I think it probably costs more to rent by day instead of on a weekly basis. You don't want to have a car in Dublin however. We heard from several people we met while traveling that they rented from Dan Dooley. They said he has an 800 number, and they felt his prices were good. We went thru AutoEurope. I forgot to mention prices for the ferry to the Aran Islands. From Rossaveal it cost us approx. $35 (U.S. Dollars) <BR>for the 2 of us.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Linda Singleton-Driscoll

We are planning a trip to West Cork & maybe County Kerry in late September, renting a car & staying in B&Bs. Should we get the B&B vouchers (offered as part of the fly/drive programs) and, if so, which company is best (Aer Lingus, CIE, etc.)? Thanks.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Ev The Irish Maiden For Lynne The Mongrel

Look for excellent accommocations in Howth. Bus service into Dublin is available. Many good pubs in Howth.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 02:23 PM
Ev The Irish Maiden For Lynne The Mongrel

Look for excellent accommocations in Howth. Bus service into Dublin is available. Many good pubs in Howth.

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 05:24 PM
Joe

Hey, where did y'all stay in Dublin? I'm looking for a place near city center, reasonably priced, and not too seedy. Many thanks, Joe

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:29 AM
Bev

Linda--We didn't use vouchers, so I can't help you out on that. <BR> <BR>Joe--We stayed out of town in Clontarf as we didn't want to have a car with us in Dublin.