Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just back from 3 weeks in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-back-from-3-weeks-in-france-329630/)

anneeby Jun 21st, 2003 06:56 AM

Just back from 3 weeks in France

I was the organizer for trip to Paris for 6 women, 4 of which had never been to Paris before. I wanted to show them the things I love to do in Paris. I also wanted to show them how they could have a five star trip on a two star budget. I arranged facials at Anne Seminon in the Bristol Hotel, afternoon tea at the Ritz, hot chocolate at Angelina's, shopping on rue Cler, a day with guide Michael Osman, the Musee d'Orsay, Galleries Lafayette, shopping in the passages, macaroons at Laduree, Chanel, the Louvre, and some of my favorite little restaurants in the 7th. On the last night we splurged on a fabulous dinner cruise on a yacht[see yachts de paris]. We had no problem with the strike except some of us used the airport connection shuttle, we won't be doing that again. It took 2 1/2 hours to get to the 7th from the airport whereas others hired a driver who made it in 1/2 hour. Well worth the money. The drivers name is Amadeus and I found him on line. After the women left I went down to Nice and Aix for some r&r. Stayed in a wonderful hotel in Aix--Grand Hotel Negre Costa, right on the main street. It's a 3*, 75E for a standard room.
Bought wonderful handmade quilts for 50E.
If anyone has questions about anything I am happy to address them.

cigalechanta Jun 21st, 2003 07:06 AM

Welcome back, sounds wonderful. P.S.Everyone I know who has hired Michel has been pleased.

sjk Jun 21st, 2003 07:12 AM

where did you stay in paris?

anneeby Jun 21st, 2003 07:41 AM

We stayed at Hotel Muguet near rue Cler

wren Jun 21st, 2003 08:46 AM

Anneeby, Sounds like a lot of fun!! How was the Muguet? What restaurants in the 7th did you particularly like, and how far in advance did you make reservations, if at all?

I have a shopping question as well...can you basically buy the same things, ie perfume, shoes, etc., for less in places other than Paris? I am thinking since it is a city, things may be more expensive, plus it would be nice to wait until further in the trip so I don't have to carry purchases around for 2 weeks, in addition to having more time to look around.

anneeby Jun 21st, 2003 10:23 AM

I always stay at the Muguet. It's consistantly clean, quiet, close to everything. My room this year had a view of the Eiffel Tower. We are too spontaneous for restaurant reservations. We loved Sergio's on l'Exposition and the cyber place is right next door. We ate alot at Cafe d' Marche on rue Cler. There are many little restaurants in the area, none of them need reservations.
My experience with shopping is you buy only what you love when you find it. It is no more expensive in Paris than in the smaller cities. The exchange is not in our favor right now, but I only buy French items that are much less expensive in France. For example, Petit Bateau tee shirts are $30 here and $10-$15 in France. I buy mustard and honey in the groceries, and I bought Gardenia perfume that is only sold at the Chanel in Paris. It was $75 but very exclusive. If you are a real bargain hunter Tati is great for $5 gifts for everyone on your list.

dumas1870 Jun 21st, 2003 10:26 AM

Sounds like you had loads of fun. If its not too much trouble, could you forward info on shopping in the passages, macaroons at Laduree, and your favorite little restaurants in the 7th? [email protected]

baker Jun 21st, 2003 11:10 AM

I also am just back from 3 weeks in France; also stayed in the rue Cler area at Hotel du Champ-de-Mars; 78 Euros per night for twin accomodation. Note: they now have room safes. We also went to Normandy for 6 nights (stayed in Bayeux at Hotel d'Argouges for 80 euros/night including breakfast) and we went to the Riviera for 5 nights (stayed in Cannes at Hotel Splendid for 115 euros/night including a great buffet breakfast). I also love the passages; my favourite shop is Pain d'Epices a toy and miniatures store. One thing I'll do differently next time: Galeries Lafayette now carries even more lines of jewellery, bags, clothes, etc.; I was able to get items I'd seen in small shops at GL and use my 10% card and claim the detaxe of another 12%. Specifically I bought jewellery at Metal Pointus, a bag by Les Baggagerie and great skirts at Comptoir des Contonniers.

jlsayre Jun 21st, 2003 11:17 AM

I leave 7/18 for Paris with a girl friend could you share your passages for shopping as well as your restruants in the 7th. [email protected] Did you do any fea or antique markets if so any favorites I've done Porte de St-Ouen but a bit overwhelming.

baker Jun 21st, 2003 11:17 AM

Forgot to say my son and I used Paris Shuttle at arrival and departure with absolutely no problems; service was prompt and efficient and 24 euros for both of us. We did have to change train reservations, hotel and car rental and leave a day earlier for Normandy because of train strikes. Also, when in the south we couldn't take local trains to Monaco and Menton because they weren't running or they were unreliable. So we rented a car one day and took a bus tour on another. Both were efficient methods of getting where we wanted to go; in fact I'd recommend the tour agency on Cannes: Voyages Phoceens near the Hotel Splendid. It cost 25 euros for a day long outing to Monaco; cheaper than renting a car and I could sit back and relax amidst all the extra traffic on the roads because of the strikes.

wren Jun 21st, 2003 01:20 PM

Thanks Anne, We will be at the Muguet next week and will be with Michael a week from today. When I spoke with him earlier this week, he said he had just been with a group who stayed at the Muguet. I wonder if it was you! If there is any more specific info or suggestions you have re: restaurants, shopping the pasages, etc, my email address is [email protected].

Enigma Jun 21st, 2003 05:26 PM

I,too, went to Paris 2 summers ago and absolutely LOVED it. I'm planning to travel to Nice in late July. From the postings and info that I've read, I understand that beaches are crowded. I love beaches and am really looking forward to my trip to Nice. My former hairdresser (who is from Nice) did inform me about the beaches. Please let me know of any additional places of interest in Nice and any hotels near the beach that I should check into.

anneeby Jun 21st, 2003 05:29 PM

The passages are close to Galeries Lafayette, and Michael Osman the guide took us there. I don't want to direct you incorrectly, so email Michael at [email protected] and I'm sure he can tell you exactly how to get there.
My favorite restaurants are on l'Exposition very near the Eiffel Tower. You can eat and then enjoy the sunset from the top of the Eiffel Tower. Sergio's is a small place where Sergio greets you and makes you his specialties which change each night. l'Auberge du Champ de Mars is 2 doors down from Sergios and is owned by a nice couple. They have a 3 course menu that is always good. Also on that street is La Serre, which has good French food for a good price. None of these places are fancy, just neighborhood places. I also like Cafe de Marche on rue Cler near the Ecole Militare Metro stop. It's always crowded and a great place for lunch--wonderful fish and salads. It also has a creperie that is to die for. Rue Cler is a pedestrian shopping street with all kinds of wonderful shops.
I suggest the flea market at Vanves, I can't remember the name but it willbe listed in Pariscope which comes out every Wednesday.

Barb_in_Ga Jun 21st, 2003 05:51 PM

We ate at Sergio's in May this trip. We had gone to the cyber cafe to check email, and he was very charming about seating us on a Saturday without a reservation. His resaurant seats about 28 max, and he serves a lovely mix of Italian and French specialties. Prices were reasonable, wine was good, and we will definitely go back.

JackOne Feb 3rd, 2005 03:05 PM

I had the good fortune of living in Paris for a few years starting in 2001. We stumbled upon Sergio's one evening and it quickly became one of our favorites. Sergio is a fantastic host, speaks (and sings in) english and the food is fantastic. We would not order from the menu, but instead let Sergio decide for us (including the wine). The price was always reasonable, the service fantastic, and the food was always first class. We often had our three young children with us and they loved Sergio as well.
Don't Miss!

Cheers Sergio!

Underhill Feb 3rd, 2005 04:34 PM

enigma,

did your friends tell you that the Nice beaches are pebbles rather than sand? it can be an unpleasant surprise.