Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   just back from 10 days in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-back-from-10-days-in-london-87828/)

Beth Anderson Sep 27th, 2000 08:19 AM

just back from 10 days in London

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I am still a little jet lagged, or maybe that is just the excitement of starting a new job the minute I got back... I will post in more detail here later but thought I would put this brief outline up, solicit questions and TRY to answer, and later give more details if it seems warranted (hoping not to bore anyone to death too!) <BR> <BR>here goes: <BR> <BR>Thursday - walk from London Bridge to Blackfriars bridge, south bank, visiting/seeing the myriad sights along the way (Rose theatre, Globe, Winchester Palace, Southwark Cathedral, Clink prison site, Tate Modern). Walked along north bank once I crossed at Blackfriars up to Westminster Palace and Abbey. walked back to Embankment, met a friend, walked through Leicester Square and over to Covent Garden for a mexican meal (Cafe Pacifico - yum!) <BR> <BR>Friday: toured Houses of Parliament. met a nice American family who had noved there a year ago - husband is going to take my resume and pass it around in to HR at his company. Cream tea at Waldorf Meridien. Mozart by candlelight at St Martins in the Fields. <BR> <BR>Saturday: Notting Hill/Portobello Market. met friends in East London, then back to a play - An Inspector Calls. met two of the actors afterwards. Out for the evening around Leicester Square - a few pubs.

Beth Anderson Sep 27th, 2000 08:19 AM

<BR>Sunday - Bletchley Park with a friend. <BR> <BR>Monday - walked around Oxford & Regent street - shopping. V&A museum. London Walks - Thames pub tour. met the most delightful fellow. <BR> <BR>Tuesday - Greenwich most of the day - London Walks. Thames boat ride to Greenwich. when that was over - Royal Observatory, and the Queen's house. met friend for dinner - saw movie Snatch. <BR> <BR>Wednesday - Imperial War Museum, Courtauld Gallery. Met another friend for dinner at her house. <BR> <BR>Thursday - Beatles London Walk. interview with headhunter/recruiter. <BR> <BR>Friday - walk walk walk everywhere. Gorgeous day. Walk up & down Tottenham Court road, Charing Cross road. walk through park to Cabinet War Rooms. Westminster Abbey tour. National Portrait Gallery. Indian food near Liverpool street with a friend - YUM. <BR> <BR>Saturday - heading home again, wah! <BR> <BR>and there you have it. I think I forgot some things, will post later with more details. <BR> <BR>Beth

Frank Sep 27th, 2000 11:30 AM

Beth: <BR> Welcome home! Just a few details, please: <BR> 1. Westminster Abbey tour - is it necessary to reserve in advance or did you sign up when you arrived at the Abbey? How often are tours given? <BR> 2. Did you enjoy the Beatles London Walk...what did you see? <BR> 3. What were your impressions of the Greenwich-London Walks outing? <BR> 4. I am expecting 50 - 60 degree weather (with rain half the time) during my mid-october visit...does this sound about right? <BR> <BR>

Beth Anderson Sep 27th, 2000 12:21 PM

Hi! <BR> <BR>actually, the "tour" of Westminster Abbey was self guided - you get a little pamphlet once you've entered... but I think it's pretty easy to find a guide once you are in. I just walked up, paid the entrance fee, and wandered around. <BR> <BR>If you like, there is a gift shop around the west side of the Abbey where you can buy a more comprehensive book before going in. there is A LOT to see there, I especially liked Poet's Corner. <BR> <BR>2. I have to say, I didn't enjoy the Beatles walk as much as I might have - I am sure it is quite good but I had an appointment/interview directly after it and had to leave early, before the tour was half over so I missed Abbey Road and all that. I will say I didn't enjoy the speaker as much as I have other speakers on London Walks tours I have taken though. But that is just me I am sure. They are all very knowledgeable guides. <BR> <BR>3. the Greenwich London walks was great. Actually I always make a point to go on a few when I am there, the guides are very articulate, knowledgeable, and usually quite funny (there is something about the British sense of humor which I find so appealingly. don't know if it is the dry wit or the understated-ness of it all...) I have been on the Thames pub walk (highly recommended), the Parliament/Westminster walk (also highly recommended), the Dickens/Shakespeare walk, the Greenwich walk as well as the others mentioned. <BR> <BR>4. well, for mid October, what you said does not sound out of line. I saw high 60s-low 70s, with rain about half the time. the first and last full day I was there were GORGEOUS. the rest of the days were either rainy half the day and sunny the other half, or, completely overcast all day. which is still preferable to rain when you are tromping all over the place let me tell you! but I was never cold so that's a good thing... <BR> <BR>and there you have it! <BR> <BR>Beth

Bobbie Oct 1st, 2000 11:16 AM

Hi, We are traveling to london Oct 6 and wonder if tou could possibly have any info as to the best inexpensive route from Gatwick to the Kensington Gardens/Paddington Station area. We have a 4 day travel card and were lost as how to use it. We are on a budget and need help with the best route to are HOTEL. I'ts located at Kensington Gardens Pl. Thank-you

Beth Anderson Oct 1st, 2000 12:34 PM

Hi, <BR> <BR>well, there is an express train to Victoria Station from Gatwick. This will cost extra - your travel card will not cover it. I am sure there is a slower/cheaper train too, although I have not used Gatwick in a long time so do not quote me on that. <BR> <BR>Once you are in the tube system though (which you will be, when you get to Victoria) you can then travel to Paddington using your travel card.