Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

just back. 6 weeks away, thanks for all your help. Trip report to follow.

Jan 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

3.30am. No chance of sleep anytime soon. Haven't slept since leaving Rome on Sunday. But what a trip! The report may disappoint some. We did it our way and had a ball.
An Overview;
Being upgraded to business class for the Auckland to LA leg was a wonderful way to start the trip. Who ever suggested Encounters at LAX, thankyou. Perfect for a one night stay at the airport. For future reference, 2.5hours early to LAX 2 days before xmas is not enough time to catch your flight!

NewYork in a transit strike, didn't stop us. What a place, to all who offered an opion on going there at that time of year, thanks for you were all right. It was chaotic, busy, cold, crowded and we loved every second. Affinia Manhatten, if its in your budget, do it.

Orlando, well we are officially over Disney. We had a ball, but as it was our second trip, the first the kids were 12 and 10, this time 17 & 19. So it was very different this time but fun. But Orlando not really on our list to do again.

Chicago, was a wonderful surprise. Loved every second. It was only in the trip as a take off point for London. But it turned out to be a highlight. We walked 15kms one day, just looking. Loved it. Grand Lux cafe was a delightful discovery.

London, everything i thought it would be. The tube is so easy and if anyone is hesitant, don't be. Kensington was a great location. Our apartment on the other hand..........story to follow. If anyone is arriving into London at 6am from the US and you know your room wont be ready, book it from the day before.....oh how i wish we had.

Paris, aahhh Paris. Now I know what you are all talking about. Language no problem, we just faked it...fun. Paris Perfect Chardonnay was absolutely wonderful (& after London accommodation a blessing) again if its in your budget, do it. To look at the Eifel Tower when ever I got the 'urge' was just lovely. Especially on the hour when it 'twinkles'. oh and the pastries........sigh.

Rome, another highlight. We found ourselves with 5 days at the end of our itinarary and had many family 'discussions' on where to go. Dh won, and thank goodness for that. Our apartment was at the Pantheon......amazing. Unfortunately i can't recommend it, story to follow... but the location was wonder, oh and the coffee.........sigh!

Our direct flight to Singapore, ended up with a breif (40 minutes on the tarmac) stop over in Dubai.

And as for the shopping we had planned to cram into our 24 hours in Singapore..... note to self...........check on public holidays next time. Chinese new year and the whole place was closed.

So thats basically it, arrive home last night about 8pm to wonderful friends waiting at the airport a lovely surprise and was the groceries they bought. 6 weeks is a long time to be away from home and loved ones, especially over xmas. But we have so many wonderful memories. And a lot of them thanks to research on this site.

When and if I ever sleep again....ha ha ha, I will do a more indepth trip report. Because I know how the little things can be of use to trip planners.

Bye.
Jan 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi, I'm off to Orlando in March with similar age kids to yours - would love to know what you/they enjoyed!
Many thanks.
Jan 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Marking (in case this is the thread your report will be on).
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the early summary. Can't wait to hear a more indepth account. Glad you enjoyed Chicago.
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM

Chicago is a wonderful city--I always try to get business trips to the Windy City.

Glad you had a ball on the trip.
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Morgana; of the Disney parks, we all enjoyed Epcot a lot. Especially the France section. And as Animal Kingdom wasn't there last time, we enjoyed that too. Where are you staying?
We also hired a car for two days. Drove to Kennedy which was fun. And then drove to Premium Outlets, which was way more fun, lots of bargains.
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:28 AM

Hi. I am looking at an apartment near the Pantheon. Can you briefly tell us the name of the apartment you stayed at and why you didn't like it? Thanks so much. You might be preventing me from making a big mistake!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi there. No problems. Our travel agent booked it and it was called 'Pantheon Apartment'. The location was superb, which made up for the rest. We literally had the Pantheon at our doorstep. I think I said in my trip report, that it was a large apartment which was also great. But.....
the kitchen was not workable. In that the toaster didn't toast, the oven didn't get hot. We had basically no hot water. And it was freezing when we were there, so not to be able to have a 'hot' shower was a pain. But I think the 'clincher' was laying in bed listening to the people in the upstairs apartment 'use' the bathroom!!!! No nice. And topped off by the cafe underneath us belting out music 'till midnight each night, which you could actually 'feel' through the bed, it was not our favourite apartment.

But having said all the that, the cafe across the 'road' was The Best coffee of the whole trip. The noisy cafe made the best crepes and we were surrounded by awsome reasonably priced restaurants. And we could walk just about everywhere.

Hope that helps? (sorry, it wasn't so breif!)

happy travels
AD
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:50 AM

Thank you for the info on the apartment. I love that location too. Isn't Rome amazing?