Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just a Thought About Restaurants in Paris

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being at home sick today got me to thinking about what I'd like to bring back home from our May trip to Paris - memories are good when you are feeling "punk";
I did a search but did not quite find (drugs may have kicked in!) what I was looking for.

So, Paris expert foodies, is there a place a couple can go, have drinks, maybe a starter, and desert without having to do the whole 9 yards that is truly memorable and has an atmosphere, view,exeptional service - something like a wow factor that we will truly remember the rest of our lives.
We have had one experience like that in France - Chateau Chevre d'or - Eze village that DH still talks about l0 years later!

I've stashed away a few bucks and thought I'd surprise HIM for taking me; but of course I do not want to spend $500 a person. Maybe $200 pp max (this is our grocery money I am stashing away afterall!)

Ideas are welcome; we are staying in the 7th for a week, but I am sure I can locate any place that is highly recommended. The atmosphere would be very imp't to us - always has, always will be! This would be a surprise and I will plan it without him knowing, so I could use some really good recommendations.

I've read so many restaurant reviews my head is swimming, but I want the atmosphere along with it - but not stuffy; some amiable waiters who may even share a laugh at our southern twang french and would enjoy helping us choose a few menu items would be a bonus...(and he loves a martini; me great wine!) Possible???

In between we will be perusing the "cheap eats" book someone else brought to our attention. I hope to buy some art, so do not want to spend all the $$ on food.

Thanks as usual for all the help and suggestions,
FP
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Nancy,

Are you talking about lunch or dinner?? I would suggest lunch.

I have mentioned to you in emails about the Bar Vendome in the Ritz. I enjoy it for lunch, or just stop by for whatever.You can do the same at the Meurice, which has a nice bar area. I also go there for lunch,or what ever...

I think you would enjoy both...

Joan
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Not necessarily for lunch or dinner, but the Hôtel Intercontinental Le Grand on the Place de l'Opéra is one of my favorite places to go for a drink or afternoon tea. Very old-school Parisian elegance, but not stuffy at all. They do have a restaurant but I've never eaten there.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM

We usually take our main meal at midday and then hit the hotel bars in the evening. Both mentioned by Joan make a great Martini; we prefer the Meurice bar, I like the club sandwich there as well as the live music. And yes, the prices are on a par with NYC.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM

oakglen,

I don't know if you have tried the Bar Vendome..if not, do so...I think you will like it..they also have the Ritz bar..not for lunch..maybe for a 'younger crowd'...the Westminster Opera bar also seems to have a big after work gathering...

Joan

Joan
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Eiffel Tower?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions; I was thinking of an evening - and after looking at Eiffel Tower website I know it will be more than $400; and from what I heard you cannot just go in and sit at a bar.
A lunch would of course be nice, but I was thinking evening - romantic; it is Paris; but I wanted more than food...the atmosphere would be a highlight; so I will re-think this and maybe just stretch out a long lunch at the Ritz, Vendome or Intercontinental.

We could bar hop afterwards, and if we made it back to the apt. it would be memorable that we even found it!

I am not much of a daytime drinker; that is the problem. But when in Paris..........

Thanks, this is helping me suffer through the flu! (or something similar) I really do need a trip.
FP
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Hi fp

I'm not exactly sure about what you want. Do you want a meal with the martini and wine, or just appetizers and dessert?

I am not at all familiar with expensive places in Paris, but from my very limited experience, evenings are usually for dinner, non? Wouldn't a gorgeous place with pleasant waiters be expecting folks to order main courses?

I'll bet that someone can come up with a good place.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM

How about Le Train Bleu?

http://www.le-train-bleu.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Nancy....

Go to Bar Vendome for lunch..then walk down the long hall with all the shops etc to Hemingway's..everyone likes to say they have been to Hemingway's..maybe go across the hall to the Ritz Bar...take a taxi home!!! I enjoy the places...

Joan

Email the Ritz and tell them what you have in mind..they will take care of it all for you! You will have fun..

Joan
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM

I would second StCirq's recommendation of Le Train Bleu.

Our most memorable dining experience - and most romantic - in Paris was Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, but you would probably have to go without eating altogether until May to afford it. We also thought La Maison Blanche was very beautiful and quite romantic. We will be in Paris in May and June this year and will have dinner one evening at Le Diapason. Since we haven't eaten there, I can't comment on the food, but the view from the terrace is beautiful - and it is within your price range. Good luck. Let us know which restaurant you choose.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Joan, both bars at the Ritz are glorious, but I haven't eaten at the Bar Vendome for some time. When hungry, I usually have something to eat at Le Castiglione, across the street. You might also mention the Crillon, a bit more formal, yet no more expensive.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

What great ideas; thank all of you for your suggestions..
Tuscan, that is what I was worrying about...whether you could go in a restaurant and order drinks, apps, and maybe a dessert; but it does not appear that way (maybe the bars!)

Although we are normally very casual diners, enjoy people watching, having wine, etc. I did want to have an evening that would be very special.

You've given me some good ideas; I will check them out and of course get back to youall with what I choose. I am taking my i-phone to the AT&t store to have international access put on so I can call and really make a fool of myself trying to make reservations! That is, when I get over this flu..I now know how people get hooked on drugs although I think I will stick to wine!

StCirq - that restaurant is amazing, and it is in the train station?

Wmarks, I really wanted to try out Jules Verne, but just cannot justify it when we are spending two weeks in France and then 3 weeks in Africa. Now between you and me, I'd go for it, but Mr. is much more frugal than I ever will be.

Saw Ma Maison Blanche mentioned on another thread; actually I have list after list - we'd have to live in Paris a year before scratching the surface! Will definitely look at Le Diapason- I love terraces and views!

But I do appreciate all the suggestions. Now, if I can only remember that I even wrote this. LOL

FP
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM

oakglen,

I go to l'Obe (changed name from l'Obelisque) in the Crillon at least once every trip on Sunday for lunch. Sunday is when their long time, nice customers are there..or so they told me...Frederic takes good care of me...free Chmpagne....Taittainger, of course, free sides and offered 2nd dessert!! Let me know if you want to go..it seems when I register (all I know is give them your name) and you will also get some freebies..at least Champagne!!

Joan
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Yes, flowerpower, it's in the Gare de Lyon.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, but better here in February than in Paris in May.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Chez Andre, great for lunch.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM

"we are spending two weeks in France and then 3 weeks in Africa"

I like how you live! Life is short enjoy it while you can.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM

We had Christmas dinner at Jules Verne four years ago, and it was an amazing meal, amazing service, and of course, prices to go along with that. The views were spectacular, and it was nice going up one level via their private stairway to the observation deck. It was pricey, but it is such a special memory. I guess the question is, how special would the occasion be?