Just a few more questions about Paris--leaving Sept.12th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For purpose of phoneing home(California) from Paris--Buy prepaid phone card here or in Paris...?? Note: we will not have access to internet...
IS it appropriate for young people (in twenties) to wear shorts? A friend told me, it was frowned on by Paris natives???
What is best area to buy snacks,drinks,sandwiches to take to hotel room. Our hotel is near the Eiffel Tower-Mercure Tour Eiffel Suffren. Trip advisor comment noted no "grocery" type stores near this hotel...
any info much appreciated...
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A phone card will be much cheaper if you buy it in Paris. Most of the rates to the U.S. are about 0.01€ per minute -- the cards make their money off the connection fee, which is usually about 0.30€ per call. So if you talk an hour, it will still cost less an a euro.

Everybody is still wearing shorts, including Parisians, when the weather is warm. Go over to the elevated metro line 6 for groceries -- you will find a Monoprix supermarket and a number of smaller shops in that area.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM

About wearing shorts.
In september, you will not experience hot weather. Today (monday sept. 7), temps are rather high (26 C), but it might fall in the low twenties these next days. Not to mention that mornings are more in the mid tens.
So I would advice to bring few pair of jeans or chinos.
Frowned on? Well, I would be a bit more restrictive than Kerouac. I am a parisian, and unless temps are getting real high (over 30 C), I will not wear shorts. OK, I am no more in my twenties (dangerously approching the forties).

As for phone cards, I just checked for prepaid cards from France Telecom (FT), one minute to the USA (landline or mobile) is 0.017 euros (less than 2 cents). A 7.50 euros card will allow 416 minutes of call. You might find cheaper with discount providers, but FT offers top notch quality. Discount cards are more widely available though (in any small grocery store).
Enjoy your stay in Paris!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi T24,

>IS it appropriate for young people (in twenties) to wear shorts?<

If wearing shorts on that day, in that place, is appropriate.

Do you wear shorts to church on Sunday? Do you wear shorts to shop at major department stores?

You can look up the locations of markets (marché), Monoprix, etc at www.pagesjaunes.fr

Enjoy your

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I just returned from my 7th visit. It is your decision if you want to blend in or stand out like an American. Shorts are not the look. If you wear a short dress, wear tights, skirts are worn with black tights and you will see a lot of boot shoes or boots, everyone wears a scarf, little jewelry or bright makeup, neat trench coat, usually black or nice leather jacket, nails are only painted with a french manicure, feet too, and nice hair accessories. For evening, people dress up, wear heels, which I did day and night, and look sophisticated not overdressed. Food shopping is best done in your area in passy or in the 16th in a monoprix which sells everything from cosmetics to clothing...if none available you will still see grocery stores...they sell liquor but only tabacs sell cigarettes. As far as the sim card...I called global phone service at verizon (all have this) and for 9.95 shipping to and from your home they send you a free phone to use...with the plan of your choice...go on the 5.00 per month...and comes with necessary adapters which is a cheaper rate per minute, your old number works and tell people not to call unless it is vip. This way you can use it for reservations and your comfortable when you arrive. A friend had the sim card and it shows unavailable so I never knew if I should answer the phone. It sets itself to Paris time per their instructions. You may need adapter for hair dryer and if so always start it on high...get a travel one and flat iron too or they blow. I recommend O Chateau for a wine tasting lunch or champagne cruise (Oliver Magny...google these and prebook)and also the Ritz Hotel gives a lunch cooking class which is great...you'll go right into the kitchen, prpepare the food and eat with the chef. Bring a small umbrella everywhere as it does rain a lot, black slacks, and nice tops if your not into dresses but wear a scarf. Take the on and off bus for 20.00 to acclimate yourself and then go back to what you like. Hope this help...no shorts...you'll stick out, esp. at the airport and look sloppy...wear pumas, ballets, or pumps, travel red eye in sweats then change. Remember on Sun and Mon most places are closed so visit the Marais, the 18th, get your portrait done for 40e and the Hamman in the 4th...a steam bath and massage for 30E.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM

I forgot to mention it was cold enough when I left to wear a jacket, esp in the morning and also at night, near Eiffel Tower...gets windy. Just some tips experience has taught me, no face cloths in showers, bring your own.

I got lots of complements especially from French woman and nicer service blending in...no cold shoulder ever from anyone,
say hello and goodby to everyone.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Whoever told you there were no grocery type stores nearby was sadly misinformed. I stayed at that hotel 24 years ago and last year at the Hilton (now Pullman) next door.

Leave the hotel and go toward the Eiffel Tower. Turn right on Avenue Suffren. Walk down and after you pass the first cafe you'll find a small grocery store. Right after that is the Boulangerie-Patisserie Legros. A cup of expresso here is half the price of anywhere else in the neighbourhood. ;^)

Once you're down on this part of the street you're only a block or 2 away from the Fat Tire Bike offices... take one of their Segway tours... you'll love it! ;^)

If you go left out of your hotel then left on Quai Branly, you're only a few steps away from Boulevard Grenelle. You'll find a food market Wednesdays and Sundays 8am-1pm. The Bir Hakeim metro station is right there too. I don't recall offhand but if you walk along Grenelle you're bound to find a larger food store as well.

Hope this helps!

Rob

BTW... shorts. I had never worn shorts on 5 previous trips to Paris but for some reason I tossed a couple of pairs in my suitcase in June... was I ever glad as I wore them often as temperatures were into the 90s F. Lots of men were wearing them too. Go for comfort, not someone else's idea of fashion! ;^)
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM

We didn't have face cloths in our apartment either, really glad we'd brought some from home! (and threw them out before we packed to come back).
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Am in Paris now and it is hot today, but I must tell you the only shorts were on the runners I saw this morning. If you are young, you can wear anything though and blend in pretty well.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I am in Paris today too and have seen maybe 1-2 people wearing shorts. I agree with previous poster on what women are wearing. I definitely am planning a day of wardrobe upgrade shopping while here!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM

On the phone, France has very convenient pre-paid phone cards to call the US. I believe you should buy one of them.
On the food, Paris has very good food everywhere. I just wouldn't suggest Chinese take away as some of them are not really good.
Otherwise at everycorner you see a shop selling sandwiches, brioches and all sort of food for any price you like.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Try plugging your Paris address into "monmagasin" on these sites: www.franprix.fr
www.monoprix.fr

They'll show you maps to their nearest locations.

Enjoy your trip.