Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Junkie day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/junkie-day-49697/)

Fred McKenzie Jul 30th, 1999 04:53 AM

Junkie day

I hear that in Germany they have a day when people put there items out on the street for the taking. Is there any way to find out what towns and on what day they are held on. <BR>We will be in Germany at the end of September and early October. <BR>Thanks for any help.

Cherie Jul 30th, 1999 09:14 AM

My trash goes out on Fridays.

Henry Jul 30th, 1999 09:47 AM

In my neighborhood there is an old man with knit ski cap who rides around on a bike picking up "all the good stuff" before the Sanitation Dept.arrives.You may want to speak to him.

Helen Jul 30th, 1999 10:01 AM

Fred, no sarcasm intended, I am an inveterate collector of what my loved one calls OPC (Other People's C**p), but my initial response to your posting was "I'd like to see this guy's Customs Declaration!"

Mike Jul 31st, 1999 12:36 AM

The proper term is junking day. And there are schedules available for every single town and village throughout Germany. However, there is not a consolidated schedule for Germany, but lots of individual schedules for each area of the various states. Each town normally has two junking days per year, one in the winter and one in the summer. <BR> <BR>Don't know how a tourist would be able to get a copy of the schedule other than visiting the town hall (Rathaus) and asking for a brochure about the trash schedules for the area (which is my area is called Müll tips). <BR> <BR>Good luck and go early on the appointed day since there are hordes of people prowling the streets looking for "goodies" among other people's junk!

Fred Mckenzie Aug 1st, 1999 07:33 AM

Junking day!!!!! <BR>Thanks for your replies, sarcastic or otherwise. I just thought it would be interesting to see what people in other countries do instead of yard sales. <BR>Keep the replies coming. special thanks to Mike. Henry I have a knit cap. <BR>Ok Helen, guess I better watch my spelling, " Junkie "

Cheryl Z. Aug 1st, 1999 10:45 AM

<BR>Am always amazed at what I learn on this forum! Mike, thank you for the info. I'd (my husband wouldn't tho) think it'd be kinda fun to browse in a neighborhood and find some unusual souvenier of a special trip. Glad to see it's junking, not junkie. I envisioned someone looking for a needle exchange program or some such thing somewhere!

Dayle Aug 1st, 1999 10:48 AM

Fred, Salt Lake City does the same thing, once in spring and once in the fall. You could save yourself a trip to Europe and check out the American junk.

Kavey Aug 1st, 1999 01:09 PM

You might be interested in the French Broquantes which are a similar idea. <BR> <BR>Each town (certainly in Northern France, not sure about rest) has a different Saturday (generally in Spring) for their town/village Broquante. <BR> <BR>It is essentially like a yard sale, car boot sale type affair. Everyone in the village puts out all their old junk on trestle tables throughout the village and people from other villages come to look and buy. <BR> <BR>It can be really fascinating, is very french (last one I went to in May my friend and I were only non french i noticed) and great fun. I collect EggCups and found some great ones. There is real crap as well as great stuff, I saw some old fashioned brass bed warmers which were beautiful and some pretty old lace pieces amongst other old stuff. <BR> <BR>I found out by asking the hotelier if there are any local Broquantes nearby on the Saturday or look in any local paper. <BR> <BR>Remember one man's junk is another man's jewels. I picked up some stunning eggcups for a few pence... I was delighted... <BR> <BR>