Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jungfraujoch - Why should we go or why should we not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jungfraujoch-why-should-we-go-or-why-should-we-not-1039906/)

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 08:45 AM

Jungfraujoch - Why should we go or why should we not?

We have been to Switzerland 3 times. We will be going again in September to the Berner Oberland region, which we've been to before. However, amazing as it may seem, we've never done the Jungfraujoch trip. Since it's expensive and very time consuming, I'm wondering what are the pluses and minuses in your opinion?

What is there to do once you are up there?

Is it really up to all the hype?

tuscanlifeedit Mar 11th, 2015 08:50 AM

I'm going to piggyback on this question, as we too are going to the BO. Never been before.

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 08:53 AM

tuscan - OOOH. You're going to love it!

OK, let's see what others say about Jungfraujoch.

PalenQ Mar 11th, 2015 08:55 AM

Well it is the steepest train in the world in terms of both steepness and fares - mostly in tunnel so not that scenic but there is a brief stop at some ledge you can go out on midway for a photo shoot or see down below.

Up top is the ubiquitous restaurant with sun terrace - some large ice grottos and the chance to walk to a nearby glacier and take some kind of rides - either on dog sleds (not sure they still do this) or one wires not high above the snow.

But to me the most amazing thing up there is the view of the Aletsch Glacier from its upper tip - here - for miles as it tumbles down to the Rhone Valley (? Rhone?) - awesome and the views down over Interlaken wedged between its two lakes is awesome as well.

That said is it worth $140 or so (but there is an early-bird special that is cheaper and you can walk down the last segment and actually easily walk down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen - cutting costs and having a brilliant walk - or walk from Kl Scheidegg on gthe famous Ridge Walk from there to The Mannlichen - a most raved about viewpoint - an easy fairly flat but descending path - very easy walk and you see both the Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald valleys from the walk.

I have done it 3 times but at that time had a 50% discount with a Swiss Pass - discount is now I believe 25% only - check out the Jungfraubahn Pass that if taking say the excursion to The Schilthorn/Piz Gloria (which to me is a more thrilling ride to get there - an icy outpost miles from anywhere - the pass would pay off I calculated once with just those two trips and then you could use it on a plethora of other gondolas and trains lines throughout the area.

www.swisstravelsystem should have the details.

nytraveler Mar 11th, 2015 09:07 AM

If you go on a clear day - you must check this before setting out - there are wonderful views on the way up - charming towns, gorgeous flower-starred meadows - and as you get up further dramatic mountain views. When we were there at the top there were activities both indoors and outdoors - a dog sled ride, ice sculpture gallery, outdoor weather station and we saw people learning at a ski school (in June).

IMHO well worth it - but only you can judge.

If you go to the web site there are a lot more details.

PalenQ Mar 11th, 2015 09:13 AM

When i said the train was mainly in tunnel I was talking only about the Jungfraubahn that trundles up from Grosse Sheidegg to the summit, the highest train station in Europe I believe.

But yes if starting from Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken then yes you get wonderous views the whole way to Grosse Scheidegg - but that part is much cheaper than also doing the Gr Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch part. And again you can even walk down from Gr Scheidegg to various places, cutting the cost a bit but more for stupendous vistas that are much nicer even from a footpath than from a train IME.

Heliocoptors may also fly up there - not sure.

tipsygus Mar 11th, 2015 09:29 AM

If you want awe inspiring views which ever way you go up and back and accept it is expensive then yes go. It is expensive to eat at the top, but then everything and everybody has to be shuttled up there by train. I have done it several times the last was several years ago with family who had never been, they still talk about it and want to do back.

neckervd Mar 11th, 2015 09:51 AM

There are 17 mountain railway and gondola stations in snow and ice (above 10000ft) in and around Switzerland (and many others at lower altitudes, but still close to a glacier, like Glacier3000, Plaine Morte, Diavolezza, Titlis, Montenvers,etc):

Kleinmatterhorn (Zermatt): gondola station 12525 ft, foot path up to 12740 ft
Aiguille du Midi (Chamonix): gondola station 12605 ft
Testa Grigia (Breuil-Cervinia): gondola station 11415 ft
Mitelalallin (Saas Fee): cablecar station 11345 ft
Jungfrau (Interlaken): railway station 11333 ft
Hinterer Brunnenkogel (Pitztal): gondola station 11285 ft
Rifugio Torino (Courmayeur): gondola station 11060 ft
Schwarze Schneide (Soelden): gondola station 11000 ft
Mont Fort (Verbier): gondola station 10925 ft
Corvatsch (St. Moritz): gondola station 10820 ft
Les Grands Montets (Argentiere): gondola station 10810 ft
Punta Indren (Alagna Valsesia): gondola station 10750 ft
Hintereis (Schnals/Senales): chairlift station 10700 ft
Wildspitz (Stubaital): gondola station 10540 ft
Unterrothorn (Zermatt): gondola station 10200 ft, footpath up to 11200 ft
Hohsaas (Saas Grund): 10175 ft, footpath up to 10500 ft
Gornergrat (Zermatt): railway station 10140 ft, footpath up to 10750 ft
All are different, all have their pros and contras.
It's up to you to make a choice.

Some famous mountain railways are at much lower altitudes:
steepest cablecar (funiculars) lines of the world:
Gelmerbahn, Ritom, Barberine
steepest cog railway line of the world: Pilatus
doble deck gondola with 1 open air deck: Stanserhorn
double deck gondola with 2 closed decks: Samnaun
cableways with rotating gondolas: Titlis, Monte Baldo, Hochstuckli
Steam cog wheel railways: Brienzer Rothorn, Furka, Schafberg, Achensee

dugi_otok Mar 11th, 2015 10:10 AM

Follow your own Best Travel Tip- "Just go!"

HappyTrvlr Mar 11th, 2015 10:21 AM

I can't think of any reason not to go. It is an amazing sight up there.

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 10:30 AM

dugi_otok - Hey, you read my profile!

The first time we were in Switzerland we went up to Schnyge Platte and the Alpengarten. The ride up in a cog wheel train I believe, was incredible. Magic. Surrounded by mountains. And walking in the Alpengarten was also wondrous. I think we will do that again as we loved it so much,

neckervd - We've been to the Aguille du Midi in Chamonix on a glorious day.

Also went to Mt. Titlis last time we were in Switzerland, It was April and we were staying in Lucerne and in the AM saw that the only mountain area that wasn't in fog was Mt. Titlis/Engleberg area. So off we went. Fantastic! Snow, snow all around and a very long cable ride before you even get to the "rotating" cable cars.

ANYWAY, We are thinking of getting a Berner Oberland pass which I think will get us up as far as Kleine Scheidegg and then we have to pay for the rest of the trip up to the Jungfrau.

Pal - Can't imagine what a helicopter would cost!

NE Mar 11th, 2015 10:32 AM

It is awesome ! I would definitely recommend it. So my vote is for you to go. Spectacular view and fascinating experience . We were there in September and it was one of the highlights of our trip .

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 10:52 AM

Wow. I just looked at prices. R/T is $204!! Early or late trip is $145. I don't know if $400+ for hubby and me is in the cards.

BTW - How much time did you spend at the top once you got there?

mokka4 Mar 11th, 2015 11:58 AM

Although I have been up the Jungfraujoch once, it IS terribly expensive, and not "mandatory". As neckard notes above, there are other dare I say spectacular mountain trips like Gornergrat or Stanserhorn.

mokka4 Mar 11th, 2015 12:00 PM

Oh yes, and Diavolezza, quite spectacular!

PalenQ Mar 11th, 2015 12:04 PM

Why oh why is the Jungfraujoch Bahn so expensive - well everytime I've been on it the trains have been chock full with lots of tour groups who obviously do not pay full price - but the fare is shockingly steep - I know track maintenance and all is part of it but it seems like gauging to me!

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 01:47 PM

Mokka, would love to go to Diavolezza but it's too far away from where we will be. Will look up the others you mentioned.

Pal, You're probably right about groups paying less than what individuals pay. However, i realize that if we do get the Berner Oberland pass that will reduce the fee. Frankly, 204CH per person is insane.

PalenQ Mar 11th, 2015 02:34 PM

I think the Jungfraubahn Pass would be better if just in the Jungfrau Region - it may cover it in full but you'd have to be taking some other trains to make it pay and then it could well be a good deal in light of obscenely high full fare.

Mt Titlis - near Lucerne may offer a smudgeon of the Top of the World of ice and glaciers feelings at a cheaper price? Take a train to Engleberg then the famous revolving gondolas to near the summit. but nothing I've seen compares with the Jungfrau - the Matterhorn area comes close IME - YOLO!

Dianedancer Mar 11th, 2015 04:51 PM

Pal - I think I mentioned above that we've been to Titlis and loved it. So now looking for a different experience.

I'll check out the Jungfrau Pass vs. the Berner Oberland Pass.

deladeb Mar 11th, 2015 06:08 PM

We chose the Schilthorn because it was cheaper but the video of Jungfrau looks fantastic. The Berner Oberland region is just magical, ENJOY!!!!!