Jungfrau & Chamonix Weather in June

May 3rd, 1999, 10:35 PM
Bill Fleites

Jungfrau & Chamonix Weather in June

Has anyone visited the Jungfrau region of Switzerland and/or Chamonix in early June ? I'm concerned that I will need more than a sweater and light jacket at these places due to the high altitude. Can someone educate me on this matter. Thanks in advance.

May 4th, 1999, 05:55 AM
karen

Hi: I've been in Chamonix in June. We took the cablecar up the Aiguille du Midi - spectacular. At the top, we were bundled up with hats and gloves - I wore a hooded windbreaker over a light wool layer and turtleneck, all brought for the occasion! In the village, itself, what you describe sounds fine. Start really early in the morning (take the first run available) for that cablecar trip, before the clouds roll in.

May 4th, 1999, 05:56 AM
karen

Hi: I've been in Chamonix in June. We took the cablecar up the Aiguille du Midi - spectacular. At the top, we were bundled up with hats and gloves - I wore a hooded windbreaker over a light wool layer and turtleneck, all brought for the occasion! In the village, itself, what you describe sounds fine. Start really early in the morning (take the first run available) for that cablecar trip, before the clouds roll in.

May 4th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Bob Brown

I was at the Jungfraujoch last summer.
June will still be late spring in those hills, but the wind is the major factor.

We walked the snow path from the station to a mountain shelter. My guess is that the path went for about a mile. I had on a sweater, a polar fleece pullover, and a windbreaker with hood, and gloves. I was fine, even in the stout wind. But I am not sure I wanted to be there at night dressed like that. The big thing is to protect your head because a huge amount of body heat leaves via the head. Sunscreen is mandatory unless you want to get a head start on skin cancer.
And take sunglasses because the snow and bright sun can blind you literally and figuratively. Even it is cloudy, a lot ultra violet gets through at that altitude because you don't have the atmosphere to filter it out for you.

May 4th, 1999, 09:08 PM
Bill Fleites

Thanks. I'll go searching for my gloves, and hooded windbreaker.