Reload this Page >

June vacation in Paris & Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:11 AM
jackie

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe in early June. We want to go to Paris (I lived there for a year back in my college days) and I'd like to go to the south of Italy (Positano sp?). Any suggestions for hotels or number of days to stay in each country. I also would like to go to Prague, but I'd don't think that will happen this trip. Also is it very crowded the first/second week of June? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Deborah

Jackie, It probably depends on what you want to do between Paris and Positano. I am going to guess that you will fly to Naples and go from there. It would be quite a long trip by train. If you are driving there is so much between the two areas it would be easy to stop a number of places. Positano and the surrounding area(amalfi, ravello etc) is maybe 4 or 5 days. It depends on how much you want to relax vs sightseeing. I am more of a sightseeing person so 4-5 days would be on the long side for me. Paris has much more to see and do. Early June should be a great time to be there.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:58 PM
jackie

We like to sightsee also, and I am wondering if there will be enough <BR>for us to do in Positano & its surroundings if we plan to stay 5 days. Any thoughts?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Deborah

I did two Italy trips last year and I much preferred my Paris,Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, Venice trip over my Amalfi Coast, Venice trip. To me, if I want to relax I will go to a beach on the caribbean. I did spend 5 days in Amalfi with visits to Positano, Ravello, and Capri. Positano was my favorite, but didn't compare to Florence. <BR>If you haven't been to places like Florence or Venice you might want to reconsider Positano. There is obviously a reason that you wanted to go to Positano in the first place, and it is really beautiful. Maybe do a search on this board and see if people have suggestions on things to see there that maybe I missed.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Donna

Actually, it is way late to be thinking of booking rooms in Paris for June - lots of "spectacles" going on. You may want to finalize your plans forthwith.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:00 PM
jackie

I have already been to Venice, Rome, Milan, Florence ...(although my husband has not.) My travel agent had recommended it as a honeymoon destination but the weather wouldn't be good at that time (october) . Will there be enough for us to do there? What kind of day trips? Thanks

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Deborah

Jackie, Here are a few suggestions if you are having second thoughts on Positano. Tuscany is beautiful and I think renting a car and driving around there for a few days would be nice. Stop in to see things in Florence that maybe you didn't get to see the first time and your husband hasn't seen. A day in San Gmignano, Siena etc. You could do the same thing in France for that matter and see the french countryside and maybe some of the french riviera. Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera is beautiful and lots of fun to hike. <BR>You may also want to consider the lakes region, Lake Como, Bellagio etc, I have never been there but have heard that it is beautiful. <BR>For that matter, skip Italy and do Paris and Prague if that is what you are into. I have not been to Prague but will be going this June.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Diane

We've got plans for an Italy trip (3wks) in May - Definately visiting Venice, Verona, Florence, Tuscany, Amalfi coast and Rome. We'll have a car for much of the time, although won't need it in Venice and Florence (probably won't pick one up until after we've visited those cities, and we'll drop it upon arrival in Rome) Daytrips you might do from the Amalfi coast could include Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, and I understand there are some special towns for pottery addicts just inland from Ravello?. After a week in Paris, it might be nice just to enjoy the less hurried pace in Positano. There is a gorgeous Fodor's book on the Amalfi Coast. There are some good suggestions for side trips in it.