Reload this Page >

June trip to Florence, Venice, Slovenia, and Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 12:56 PM
Sofia

We are starting the planning for our Europe summer trip in mid-June. Any thoughts on how much time in each place. We are planning on flying into Florence and home from Zagreb. Any suggestions on places to stay that are not too expensive? <BR> <BR>We have friends in Zagreb so that is taken care of.

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Julia

If you go to Venice stay at the Hotel Flora.

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 01:52 PM
alan

Hi! I just read your posting, we were in Slovenia about 1995 or 6. Had a great time. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Ljubljana. The hotel was nice but more than we usually spend. Back then the city was just coming around. Had a very good time there, my wife and I stilkl talk about it. The people were friendly and it was reasonably priced for everything. It had some good site to visit. After leaving there we went to the cave at Postojna which is impressive. We also visited Predjamski Grad a castle set off in a bleak area. It is built by a cave entrance and was an interesting site even if not fully restored, <BR> The best part of the trip was at a town called Piran. It is on the Adriatic Sea and is a beautiful sight from there. We stayed in Piran so we were able to park our car overnight. Had a beautiful room and balcony all white with tiles. It overlooked the Sea. There are many good Italian restaurants as it was a disputed part of the world until about 1950. It also had good seafood restaurants. <BR> we have also been to Venice but I am sure other people would have better to say about than myself. We found it overcrowded, though a city that must be seen. Expensive, without really good food, at least near the tourist area. we had one very bad meal and went deeper in Venice and found a good restaurant. <BR> <BR> By the way I am thinking of visiting Croatia this Fall, have you been there before? <BR> Enjoy alan

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 08:43 PM
Mike

I love Croatia and Slovenia. Croatia is worth at least 7 to 10 days once you arrive in Zagreb. Slovenia can be appreciated in 4 to 5 days. Take a look www.footloosetravel.com for an article on Croatia which you may find helpful. Good luck.

Old Dec 13th, 1999, 10:06 AM
Sofia

It looks lke we may do Florence at another time since we figured 7 -10 days in Croatia. What we would like to do is start down at Dbrovnik (sp?) and work our way up visiting Hvar, Split and ending up in Zagreb. Any ideas on the best way to get there from Slovenia? I guess flying from Zagreb. <BR> <BR>Any hotel recommendations for Croatia? Lonely Planet has just printed a book on Croatia so I am going to check that out. <BR> <BR>I'll check out that site but here is another one also. <BR> <BR>www.croatia.hr <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
Jimmy

Excellent choice! I spent two days each each in Ljubljana, Pula, and Venice last May and wish I'd spent longer. Flew into Zagreb (convenient airport bus serves the bus station, which is 10 minute walk from train station). Train to Ljubljana is very scenic. Ljubljana is a picturesque town with friendly people. I met someone through Travel Helpers (a geocities web page) who was very helpful. The Istrian Peninsula is beautiful, but I've heard Split and Dubrovnik are prettier. It is common in Croatia to find accommodations in private homes through local travel agents if you are comfortable with that. Lonely Planet was very helpful as was a section of Rough Guide Europe. There aren't enough books out there. All of the people I met were friendly and curious to talk to an American. I'm very eager to return for a vacation. Venice, of course, is sublimely beautiful and peaceful. I think it's wise to save Florence for another trip.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 11:50 AM
Mary

Sofia..If you don't want to fly from Zagreb to Dubrovnik I suggest taking the ferry from Rijeka to Dubrovnik (very nice and less expensive then airfare). <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 08:25 AM
liza

Hello <BR>I am living in Slovenia. You should go to Bled and Bohinj( around these two towns are mountains). Really great place!! I suggest also visiting Piran. <BR>If you want more information you can write me on my e mail.