Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

june trip-paris,nice area,provence, or, dolomites,como,nice area, provence (no paris). questions...

june trip-paris,nice area,provence, or, dolomites,como,nice area, provence (no paris). questions...

Dec 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

looking for suggestions for one trip or the other. we plan 2-3 weeks. love paris, also love great scenery, small towns. never been to como or dolomites. if we go to dolomites, should we try to fly into munich or venice? is it easier (driving) down to nice if we do dolomites first ( rather than como first)? if we drive from como to nice, can we go thru the "french alps" and stay a few nights? (not sure which towns are in the french alps). if we go from paris, we would fly to nice, then do provence. is it an easy drive from provence to the french alps? many questions. a lot depends on air connections that we can get.
Dec 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM
ira

Hi bod,

Have you looked up the driving routes at www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com?
Dec 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I've been to all the places you mentioned - several of them for many months. My least favorite area of all the ones you mentioned is Lake Como.

I'm not real sure if you are planning on hitting all, or just some of those places. I would not try all of them in 3 weeks - way too much driving.

Here is an idea:
1. Fly to Paris, visit, and then take the TGV (3 hrs) to Avignon and explore Provence. In late June the Lavender should be in full bloom.
2. Visit the Cote d'Azur & Nice (not really sure if you want to do this). The French Alps dump into the Med at Nice, so head up north from there & explore. Many hotels in the higher Alps do not open up till mid/late June and even July. Watch out for the Tour de France if you are there in July.
3. Take the train back to Paris from your last destination. It's even possible to take the TGV directly to Paris CDG the day of your departure. We've done this from Dijon, and will do so from Chambery this July.

If you want to visit the Dolmites, fly to Venice (and visit Venice), and then drive up through the Dolmites & stay in Cortina for a few days. We liked the Cortina area more than the western Dolmites because the A22 pulls down the tour busses loaded with tour groups from Munich, & this western area was a little to crowded for our tastes (we were there late Sept)

I have a 20+ page itinerary on Provence & Cote d'Azur, which descrivbes our favorite sites, markets, towns, etc. We've vacationed there for over 21 weeks. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca.
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Stu, can you shed some light on why Lake Como was your least favorite area. Over-priced? crowded? If I ever get my upcoming trip to France paid for, I had always thought I wanted to go to the Italian Lakes.
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I am curious too---have always loved the lakes.
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM

I love the lakes too including Lake Como. But I do agree with Stu Dudley about driving from Venice up to Cortina. It is so beautiful!
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM

We've vacationed in the Lake District about 15 days over perhaps 5 different trips - none within the last 6 years. The last time we were in Lake Garda in Sept for 2 nights, the smog was so thick that we couldn't see more than about 150 yds out into the Lake. On that same trip, we spent 2 nights in Bellagio, and it rained solidly 1 entire day, and also the day we left. On prior trips, I can remember it being quite smoggy too. Once while in Locarno or Lugarno (can't remember which) we hit the area at the same time as a major thunderstom. All in all, of the 15 days we've been in the area, there were only about 3 days when the weather was nice - usually just after thunderstorms.

Also, I find the cities in the area to be a little too "touristy" for my tastes. I thought Bellagio was only OK, - we got bored just wandering around after a short time. Likewise with Sirmione & Stresa. I much prefer other Italian towns like Montalcino, Pienza, Orvieto, Perugia, Montepulciano, Siena, Todi, Ravenna, Gubbio, Cortina, etc, etc, etc.

Of the areas/cities mentioned by Bodhijack, I much prefer Paris, Venice, the Dolmites (used up a lot of film there), Provence, and the Alps.

We spend 2 months in either France or Italy each year, and there are many other places I want to visit again before returning to the Lake District (going back to Provence, Dordogne, & Paris next year).

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca.

Dec 20th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Thanks. I just watched Ocean's 12 and was hoping for more shots of Lake Como. Now that I recall, the pictures weren't crispy clear like an Alaskan lake would be.