June in Germany & Austria- World Cup & Mozart

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on taking my mom (age 55) on a tour of Southern Germany and Austria this coming June. I know the World Cup will be taking place June 9 - July 9. We are planning on traveling from about June 12-26 with 2 days in Munich and the rest in smaller towns in Germany. How might the World Cup affect our trip in these smaller towns?
Also, I understand this year is Mozart's anniversary celebration in Salzburg. (2006 is a big year in this area!!) I have done a google search and I found events in August, but nothing in June. Am I correct in thinking we will miss the masses of people for this celebration? I am not planning on reserving hotels for another month ot two.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

I've done a bit more research on Salzburg and Mozart's anniversary- yikes! It looks like concerts are planned all year long. Will it just be crazy crowded?
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Anyone??? I'm mostly concerned about the smaller towns such as Cochem, Baden-Baden... will it be impossible to find hotels day of? Will they need to be reserved in advance?
I know Munich will be a zoo- we'll be prepared there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

I would strongly recommend you reserve in advance in Baden-Baden at least. Although it has plenty of hotels, that's one of their busiest times of year and the "good" hotels are usually filled. You could probably get a hotel room at the last minute but a) it wouldn't be one of the best hotels and/or b) you'd have to pay a premium rate.
Go to www.hotel.de to see what kind of availability is for your dates and at what price ranges. If you're unwilling to book so far in advance, keep checking every couple of weeks until you see a definite drop in room availability and/or increase in rates. Then bite the bullet, pick a date, and book a room.
FYI, would also strongly suggest that if you are traveling around by train, make seat reservations whenever possible.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BTilke!! We will be renting a car in Koln and dropping it off in Munich. From there, we will take a train to Salzburg and then back to Munich for our outgoing flight *I think* So, if that is the plan, I will be sure to get train tickets in advance!