June Family Trip to the UK

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

June Family Trip to the UK

My family of four with 15yr old twins are starting to plan a 14-day trip to the UK for June 2020. London sites are easy (maybe 3-days tops) but I am in need suggestions that are teen-friendly for the rest of England and Scotland. Castles are great but don't want to do too many.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 08:42 AM

Maybe focus on Harry Potter. Or try Oxford, York, Edinburgh.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ccondrich View Post
My family of four with 15yr old twins are starting to plan a 14-day trip to the UK for June 2020. London sites are easy (maybe 3-days tops) but I am in need suggestions that are teen-friendly for the rest of England and Scotland. Castles are great but don't want to do too many.
Sorry -- but there are thousands of family-friendly sites all over both countries. You'll have to narrow things down quite a bit before anyone can give useful advice. You could spend weeks/months in Scotland or most any region of England and still miss a lot. And 3 days (party jet lagged) won't even barely scratch the surface in London.

You will only have 11-12 days free on the ground (assuming you mean precisely a 2 week trip) - soooooo - I suggest you get a few guide books, enlist your kids in the research and come up with at least a framework of a plan and we can help you refine/improve it.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:05 AM

JanisJ is right, there are so many sights, attractions, activities etc for teens and families throughout England and Scotland that it's impossible to know where to start.

Why are you visiting England and Scotland? When I decide to visit somewhere I have a reason to go there, a particular sight(s) to see or attractions to visit, I don't pluck somewhere out of thin air.

What are everyone's interests? I could list a hundred things but if no-one is interested in any of them it'd be a complete waste of my time. Give us more info and we can be more useful.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:13 AM

There are quite a few possibilities for day trips from London, so you might want to stay there a bit longer and as janisj said plenty to do. A family could easily fill a week and still miss a lot.

Personally I’d spend a little more time in London then maybe head to Edinburgh via train with an overnight In York, a great medieval/ Viking town. From Edinburgh, have a look at Rabbies, a well-respected and award winning tour company. They offer a good variety of tours depending on your interests. Their buses only carry 16 passengers and their driver/ guides are excellent.They do tours through Scotland from one day to several days.Spend a day or two exploring Edinburgh while you can’t see everything, you can cover most of the major sites in Edinburgh in a day and a half. Then a couple of day tours or a two day tour with Rabbies through Scotland before heading back to London or you could fly from Edinburgh to LHR or Gatwick.

www.rabbies.com
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 03:39 AM

Brighton / Bath / Bristol * Bristol is by far one of the best spots to visit outside of London and with Bath 13 miles away there is loads to do including renting some bikes and doing the Bristol / Bath cycle path, stopping at some gorgeous, quaint countryside pubs on the way for food and lovely riverside views - take your swimming stuff and the kids can jump off a small bridge into the river!