Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

June 2 in so. Italy - how much will the nat'l holiday impact traveling?

May 1st, 2011, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I am going to be in southern Italy with my parents from May 27 through June 4. I just read on another thread that June 2 will be a big national holiday in Italy, I am wondering what to expect. We were planning to be on the Amalfi Coast around that time, will there be a lot more crowds that day? On days before and after as well? Will things be open? Someone mentioned public transport might be less frequent, what about the ferries etc. between Capri, Positano, Amalfi, etc.?

We're debating whether to rent a car to explore the area or go on public transport, if the holiday draws a lot of Italian tourists I guess either way getting around will be more complicated. Wondering if we should instead explore the eastern side of the heel, Puglia etc.

Thanks for any advice!

mp413
May 1st, 2011, 06:06 AM

I've had the same concerns, but I've been reassured that Republic Day isn't that significant a holiday. Mainly a day off for office workers. There may be some Italian workers who build a long weekend around it because June 2 is a Thursday.

Because it's not a religious holiday (tho it is the Feast of the Ascension) but is instead a fairly recent and secular holiday, it's my understanding that museums will still be open and generally, it'll be business as usual -- at least in larger tourist centres (like the Amalfi Coast!)

The one exception will probably be traffic -- I've read there are major parades in many cities and so traffic along the parade route could be snarled for a while.

BTW, June 2 is a Catholic Day of Obligation (Feast of the Ascension) so churches might be a bit busier with people going to Mass but this isn't a huge event.
May 1st, 2011, 06:08 AM

I doubt you'll even notice it. Carry on.
May 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM

Not many of this year's public holidays fall within the working week, so it's very likely that lots of Italians will be taking that Thursday, and then the Friday, to make a long weekend... which comes immediately after the Whitsun weekend, when many European families take the opportunity of the schools being closed to have an early vacation here.

To my mind, the best time for having a rental car or exploring by bus, might be the Tuesday or Wednesday, between the two!

Generally the coastal boat services in this area don't vary their offerings on such days, and the main railways will stick to their published schedules - however the Circumvesuviana, over on the Sorrento side of the peninsula, may very well run a somewhat reduced "Sunday/Holiday" service, which can halve the frequency on some routes.

This is the timetable for one of the SITA buses you may well be wanting to use...

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...A/QUADROXV.pdf

On a public holiday you can expect that none of those marked with an "F", or an "S" will operate - so you and everybody else will be using the H, G and perhaps N ones only!

Puglia, though lovely, just isn't the same...

Peter