July too hot for Northern Italy?

Sep 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

July too hot for Northern Italy?

We went to Italy (Rome, Amalfi, Tuscany and Venice) in October 2003 and loved it. We want to go back and see northern Italy (Verona, Lake Como, Piedmont, Ligurian Coast). The only problem is that we probably will have to go June 29 - July 12 2008.

Is it just too darn hot then? Should we reconsider?
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I would never let weather deter me as you never know. Last summer (in August!) I was in Lucca, Florence, Rome and Venice and the weather was fabulous. Very little , if any, humidity and temps were never higher that the mid 80's!

So, if that's the time you have available I would go for it. Just check the weather forecast before you go and adjust what you pack accordingly.
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
jgg

I agree with cruiseluv. If that's when you can go and where you want to go - go for it!! We were in Piedmont and the Ligurian coast June of 2006 and had a spectacular time. Look into the Baur B&B (www.baurbb.com) in Acqui Terme (Piedmont). Our absolute favorite place in Europe!!
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM

We spent those days in Italy this summer! Rome was the first week and almost unbearably hot. Cinque Terre was very warm, but it was very nice on the water and the nights cooled. When we arrived in Como is was very humid, but had a huge storm on the lake and it cooled off considerably. I wore a long sleeve blouse and slacks during the day and was chilly eating outdoors at night.

I wouldn't reconsider!

Cheryl
Sep 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM

It all depends what you mean by hot.Normal weather, if such a beast exists in our day and age, for Piedmont and Liguria in early July is usually warm, but not overly so. In the last 2 years it has gotten quite hot for the last 2 weeks of July and then cooled down some for August. So early July you should be OK.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. I am assuming Piedmont, Milan and over to Verona are cooler than everything south of Florence.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM

My husband & I went to Northern Italy the first week of July several years ago. (Milan, Stresa, Varenna, Verona) We found out later it was one of the warmest weeks recorded. We had a wonderful time. The worst part was when I mistakenly thought I should wear only long pants as Italians don't wear shorts. I was wrong. Shorts, skirts, everybody was wearing whatever kept them cool. We had a magical time. I love Northern Italy!