Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   July Temps in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/july-temps-in-scotland-715927/)

lindsaybeth Jun 25th, 2007 11:51 AM

July Temps in Scotland

I looked at weather averages and they say mid-70's. But here mid-70's can range from shorts weather to jeans and sweat shirt weather. We will be in Dornoch, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Since we will be golfing and enjoying the sites we want to make sure we have appropriate clothing and outerware for the entire trip.

I've thought about packing a random mixture of all types of clothes, but figured I'd run it past you all first.

alanRow Jun 25th, 2007 11:57 AM

Mid 70's - luxury

At the moment mid 50's is much more likely

janisj Jun 25th, 2007 01:26 PM

I've been in St Andrews in June/July when it was bloody hot (probably close to 80 and seeming 95F) and when it was really bloody cold - low 50's and feeling like low 40's due to the wind.

Anywhare on the water can feel cool even on nice days.

So you want layers. The same clothes work for 75F as for 55F - you just need to wear more of them . . . .

nytraveler Jun 25th, 2007 05:02 PM

We spent 3 days in Scotalnd one July and the highest temp was about 60. One day it was windy, pouring rain and in the high 40's. (It had been over 80 when we left London the week before.)

Bring layers, a folding umbrella and sturdy waterproof shoes - and be very happy if you get 70 and sunny. (Can;t imagine you would ever need shorts.)

noe847 Jun 26th, 2007 06:32 AM

I've visited Scotland 4 times, all in August (10 weeks total) and have seen every type of weather (including 80's). You will want to bring a variety of things and plan to layer. I always have a lightweight fleece jacket. Even on very warm days, however, we've rarely seen adults in shorts. On our first trip in 1999 my preteen daughters were wearing shorts, and a man in a pub told us he could tell we were American because they were in shorts.

kaneda Jun 26th, 2007 06:50 AM

Weather is normally hot June, July and August but it's been an absolutely awful June so far. July is anybody's guess.

nytraveler Jun 26th, 2007 09:53 AM

Can't help but laugh when people call 80 hot in the summer. We're in our first heat wave of the season and they're now saying it's going to be in the high 90's today - and with humidity will feel like 105.

(And yes, that's why Americans all want AC in their hotels.)

alanRow Jun 26th, 2007 10:15 AM

Even when it's only 80?

historytraveler Jun 26th, 2007 10:31 AM

alan,

I'm afraid the answer is yes. Americans tend to be a bit wussy.:)

janisj Jun 26th, 2007 10:55 AM

speak for yourself ;)

noe847 Jun 26th, 2007 12:48 PM

Well, I live in Atlanta, so I don't think 80's is hot for summer temps, but it's not "average" in Scotland. I'd add that it is a bit warm if you have to sit in the sun in 9 yards of wool.

One summer (2005?) we were there just after a major heat wave (it was in the 90's I think) and that's hot by anyone's standards, I'd imagine.

amelie Jun 28th, 2007 01:27 AM

Definitely bring layers. These past two weeks have been quite cold and rainy here (especially in Aberdeen). Everyone has been telling me it's really unusual and a horrible summer so far. Then I have some that tell me it is normal, so I don't know what to believe.

It rained at least once every day of our first 12 days here.

The last time I was here in June in 03, I think it rained once and it was in the upper 60s. Everyone told me that THAT was really unusual.

I've used everything from hats, scarves, raincoats, sun glasses, umbrellas, light spring coats, to no coats these past two weeks.

hanl Jun 28th, 2007 02:05 AM

"Weather is normally hot June, July and August"

In Scotland?? Hot is not an adjective I'd apply to your average Scottish summer!!! Warmish, at a push... ;)

Anyway, I'd agree with the majority advice so far - take layers and prepare for all weather!