Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > July Naxos hotel confusion, please help.
Notices

July Naxos hotel confusion, please help.

Mar 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

July Naxos hotel confusion, please help.

We will be traveling in Naxos for six days on July 21st after a 3 day stay in Santorini. We are a couple in the low 30’s. We are looking for an upper end hotel Luxury Hotel that is not packed with people or kids preferably on the beach (will settle for very close) and prefer a pool. There seems to be an overall lack of upper end / luxury hotels unless I am missing something. It looks like the resorts further down the coast are much quieter and secluded and the Naxos / St. George area will be packed along with the beaches.
We want to be able to go to Naxos City for dinner, late night strolls, and cocktails. We will also have an ATV that we will be using to explore the island and mountain towns. For example a typical itinerary might be:

-Wake up early breakfast
-Set out to explore the island (mountain towns, Naxos city, some days finding a beach and relaxing).
-find a nice little place for lunch or pack one
-back to hotel wind down at pool/beach for a bit then get ready to head out to Naxos for dinner.
-after dinner, head back to hotel and call it a day.
-Repeat (we may spend 1 day lounging at the hotel all day).

Everything seems fine until dinner... We won’t be taking the ATV because it will be dark and we will be having drinks. So as far as I can tell that leaves buses or taxis. How late do these run? How far can we stay down the coast until buses and taxis just don’t make any sense to take into town? I did like the Finakis but that is the furthest hotel down the strip and seems like we would have to stay there all evening. Any other hotel recommendations? I know this is a lot but everyone has wonderful advice and looking for a little direction from the experts. We are so excited to go!
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Naxos doesn't have as many luxury hotels as Mykonos and Santorini. If you want somewhere not far from Naxos Town but in a quiet location, perhaps Stelida, near Agios Prokopios would be a good choice. I haven't stayed there, but you may want to check out http://www.villa-marandi-naxos.com/hotels-villas-naxos/.
Mar 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM

I might miss something here, but the way I see it, you'll be out and about most of the time and you need a decent room, a pool and proximity to beach for when you are in/by hotel. End of July you run risk to share a hotel/apartment with families, no matter if it is luxurious or not-I am not aware of an "adults-only" on Naxos...
As a beach its self I like Plaka, but you'll have bus connections back from town stopping around midnight,afterwards it is taxi. Not very luxurious but good for isolation might be Medusa,even some walk is required to reach last bus stop. Not much other than beach+a few cafe,taverns on Plaka.Even there you may run into families. Further south beaches are more quiet but there is sparse or no bus service and too distant from town(s). Further north you'll have more facilities near by, but those are more noisy locations...

Some compromises have to be made here.....

If it was me, I would stay near Naxos town...Nissaki or Naxos resort or even Porto Naxos...

Search this Thread