Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

July bride is looking to plan honeymoon in Italy (3 wks)

Mar 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Discovered this great site and thought I would maybe get some of your wise advice and insight. My financee & I are trying to plan our 3 week honeymoon to Italy but have no idea where to start. We wanted to do it on somewhat of a budget and rather experience the charm/beauty of Italy than the large cities and tourist areas. We would be going from July 9 to July 28. My financee is worried that we'll be spending lots of time trying to find our next place to stay or destination. Oh, I should mention that he's fluent in Italian since he's Italian but hasn't visited Italy since he was very young.

Can any suggest how we could go about planning our travel and how we can get approx travel time to each destination?
Also does a site exist for finding inexpensive accomodations throughout Italy?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sandrine
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM

The two sites my husband and I use when looking for hotels during our trips to Italy are venere.com and tripadvisor.com. Both give visitors' reviews of the properties so you're not just going by the hotels assessment of itself. Venere has picture of the hotel and rooms, location in the city, amenities, price, and on-site reservation availability search. We've used it for 10+ hotels and it's been pretty much right on - even down to asking for specific room numbers.

And we have used mapquest.com to plot directions and times.
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM

If you can determine which cities/towns you would like to visit, lots of folks here can give you plenty of tips.
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
ira

Hi BB,

>experience the charm/beauty of Italy than the large cities and tourist areas. We would be going from July 9 to July 28.<

You want to go to Italy at the peak of the tourist season and not go to tourist areas.

HAH!

You'd better get started real quick with airline tickets and hotel reservations.

I think that I would fly into Venice - 4 nights, rent a car to tour Tuscany - 6 nights, take the bus or train to Rome - 4 nights, train to the Amalfi Coast - 6 nights, Fly home from Naples.

Mar 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
ira

PS,

See www.kayak.com for airfare

www.gemut.com, www.autoeurope.com, www.navacarhire.com for car rental

www.trenitalia.com for trains.
There are 2 for 1 specials on the AV train between Rome and Naples.

We very much liked our stay in Praiano at www.lesirene.com. Ask for room 12, it has a large private balcony.

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Where are you planning to go? We are spending a week in Rome, a week in Amalfi Coast and a week in Tuscany. Another option is to rent apartments/villas. lots of help can also be found at www.slowtrav.com and they have lots of good rental reviews.

Good luck!