July/August Weather in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be vacationing in Italy (Venice, Tuscany, Cinque Terra, and Rome) from late July until the beginning of August. We know that it will be hot but how hot? 70's, 80's, 90's, 100's? I also know that many on this board recommend that shorts not be worn in Italy, but is that true even in 90 degree heat? Last year I was in London, which I thought to be a pretty formal town, but when a freak 90 degree heat wave hit, everyone was in shorts! Should I not even bother to bring closed toe shoes and just bring sandals? I have to also mention that I am from the SF Bay Area where practically anything over 80 is considered a heat wave (yes, we're heat wimps).

Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I often go to Italy at the end of July. For the most part, Rome and south of Rome will be in the high 80's, possibly low 90's. Tuscany and north will be low to mid 80's. That being said, last summer was extremely hot in Italy with a heat wave that lasted most of June where the temperature was in the 90s every day from Venice to Rome and in Naples and Sicily it was close to 100.
As to shorts, they are fine in beach areas like the Cinque Terre but Italians generally do not wear shorts in the cities like Venice, Florence and Rome. I suppose if it is extremely hot and you don't mind looking like a tourist and won't be visiting any churches, you certainly won't be alone in wearing shorts.
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Wear summer dresses in the city.. reserve your shorts and alter tops for Cinque Terre...
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Expect 80's, though it can still get cool in the evenings. But it can get into the 90's, and I do recall one lovely summer in Milan when it was up around 104...And that was back before air conditioning was very common.

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. Everywhere you're going will positively swarm with tourists, so it doesn't make much difference. I much prefer dresses to shorts (because, frankly, the part of me that's the hottest in shorts is precisely the part of me that I'd rather be nice and cool), but some people just aren't into dresses so never mind.

Churches frown on bare knees and shoulders, so you'll want to come up with some solution to that if you're planning on visiting any; all sorts of suggestions on the forum. The dress/skirt plan also simplifies this question (unless you're going for truly skimpy dresses).
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:39 PM

What is the big deal about looking like a tourist, it's not the end of the world. Shorts or not, I'm willing to bet that the locals will know that your a tourist. Respect the local culture, but please be yourself and have fun.
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be very many good options for guys besides pants. Is that why they invented those goofy zip off pant legs? ;-)
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM

It's not unusual for it to hit 100 degrees in July and August in Florence. The AVERAGE high in Florence in July and August is about 87 degrees--similar to Atlanta, Georgia, USA. So for every 80 degree day on average, there's a 94 degree day.

Temperatures in Florence
The city, lying at the foot of the Appennine chain, is barely affected by the mild influence of the sea although it is not far away (less than 100 kilometers).
The four seasons in Florence are very well distinct with extremes of temperature in summer and winterand heavy rainfall in spring and autumn.
In the summer the temperature during the day, aggravated by the humidity which is felt even at night, can easily reach 36-37? C with occasional, but not exceptional peaks of 40?C and above, while in January and February it can often drop below 0?C.

In Venice the average high is about 81. In Naples about 84.
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:58 PM

remember these 3 words for traveling in Italy in the summer....
HOT
EXPENSIVE
CROWDED
You couldnt pay me enough !!