july 7th to july 20th

Dec 29th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

july 7th to july 20th

need advice and opinions please, we land CDG July 7th 7:20am and depart July 20th 2:45pm. Thought we would stay in Paris till 7/09 or 7/10 then late flight to Geneva, Air France has a departing 845pm then shared ride to Chamonix. We hiked in Norway last summer and would like to at least have 1 or or 2 nights in the Alps, day hike and then either leave the night of our hike or early next morning to Nice. From Nice to Bordeaux, to Cognac, to Loire Valley, to Champagne, then on the 20th depart from CDG not planning on seeing Paris at the end of the trip. Leave Champagne to CDG. We are active, able to drive if that's the best way to get somewhere. I did google map this round trip and see the distances. Weather is consideration, we don't want to go to the beach area(Nice etc) if that time of year is rainy. We hiked late June in Norway and had 3 seasons in 1 10 hour hike and are ok with spring, winter and fall in that area but we also like the wine trails. Any help in how to spend 13 days flying in and out of CDG would be greatly appreciated. We are not set in how many days we would spend in any given location.
Dec 29th, 2017, 03:17 PM

Paris to Geneva go by train in about 3-4 hours - flying and all could take longer and you also see the bucolic French countryside en route- book ahead for cheap fares at www.voyages-sncf.com. Ditto for any train in France - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Dec 29th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

thank you
Dec 29th, 2017, 04:46 PM

You're kidding - I hope - about leaving Mt Blanc on 6/12 or 6/13, and then visiting Nice, Bordeaux, Cognac, Loire, Champagne and then back to Paris late on 6/19 for a 6/20 flight.

>> I did google map this round trip and see the distances. <<<

And what did Google tell you the "actual" driving time was for this trip? Add 15-20% to the Google "estimated" driving time to accommodate for road construction "deviations", pottie breaks, food, toll booth backups, etc.

Stu Dudley
Dec 29th, 2017, 05:19 PM

Plus - with only 1-2 nights (1/2 to 1 1/2 days?) in the MT Blanc area - it could be a "bust" if the weather is not good in June. We were there for a week in mid July last year, and this was our experience with the weather.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...nc-weather.cfm

Stu Dudley
Dec 29th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Stu
Yes, it sounds crazy I don't disagree, that is why I posted. Is it crazy or possible for a road trip of that distance? It's an hour flight Paris to Geneva at 845pm, that late flight gives us a day in Paris. Chamonix is 3ish hours from Geneva.. Then to Nice or no to the beach. Belittling the post is not the answer I am looking for. I am trying to figure out the best use of our 13 days flying in and out of CDG in July not June btw. I did read your post about July and weather in Mt. Blanc prior to my post. Maybe we won't hike even tho we would like to as I posted " "considering weather" We did Scandinavia- Norway, Sweden and Denmark by planes, trains and driving, not feeling rushed at all. It is all in the planning. Yes, I am quite aware of mountain weather but then maybe we don't want to stay in Paris for more than a couple days due to rain and crowds as I read in other posts. Maybe we leave France all together. There are tons of options and at this point I am asking for people who are kind and helpful to share their experiences so we can make a good choice for us. Please don't respond unless you are one of those kind of persons that have solid advice to sit down and have a glass of wine with.
Dec 29th, 2017, 07:42 PM

Given how much time Stu has spent in France, it is hard to think of a poster more qualified to give "solid" advice on the country. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.
Dec 29th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Lol
Dec 29th, 2017, 09:18 PM

We travel differently than you do.

We like to slowly drive along mountain ridges, explore medieval villages on foot, wander through lavender fields, visit gorges with brick-red cliffs, bike rides through hill villages & vineyards & lavender fields, caves with stalactites & mites, caves with pre-historic paintings, chair/gondola lifts up to famous mountain tops, farmer's markets, lots of castles, gourmet dinners, beautiful coastlines, sitting at cafes, vineyards, historic cities, decadent beach resorts.

You have a "big time" road trip planned where you'll spend most of your time on un-scenic autoroutes/freeways.

My advice is to focus your travel on:

- Paris, Mt Blanc/Alps, and the Cote d'Azur/Provence

Or

- Paris, Bordeaux/Dordogne, Loire.

Forget Champagne & Cognac. They are fantastic destinations, but you'll loose too much time with "butts in the car" getting there.

Stu Dudley
Dec 29th, 2017, 10:49 PM

You might enjoying hiking in the Vosges or Jura more than the Alps, and they are more easily accessible -- not to mention far less crowded than Chamonix.
Dec 30th, 2017, 05:03 AM

It sounds like a wonderful way to become intimately familiar with French tarmac and the dashboard of your car, or the interiors of railway cars.

If you want some specifics:

1. Flying in and out of Paris was not a good idea. Open-jaw tickets for a trip like this is always a better deal.

2. Starting with your departure from Nice the whole scheme goes wonky. How are you planning to get from Nice to Bordeaux?

3. Why Cognac? You don't have time for it. Same with Champagne.

4. Leaving from Champagne and going directly to CDG for a return flight is a risky proposition that should be avoided.

5. July can be crazy busy in all of those places; you won't be getting anywhere very quickly.

6. Pick the three destinations that most appeal to you and ditch the others.
Dec 30th, 2017, 05:46 AM

You waste time and money with your late evening flight from CDG to GVA ar 10pm. You would have to leave Paris city center around 6pm in order to have enough time at CDG.

If you leave Paris by train at 18.11 and change at Bellegarde (ar 20.58) to the connectin Chamonix bound bus (dp 21.15) you will reach Chamonix at 23.45

If you want to fly at any price, you may leave Orly at 18.00 or CDG at 18.30, change to the bus at Geneva airport and reach Chamonix at 22.25
Dec 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM

"Is it crazy or possible for a road trip of that distance?"

Do you want to go by car or by public transport?

If you prefer to drive, why do you plan to fly from Paris to Geneva (by far not the longest leg in your list)?
Dec 30th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

We normally fly in and out of different cities but if we did this time the tickets were 2 to 3 times as much. Rt CDG cheapest in all of Europe so that's how that happened. Let's go see France! We depart July 6 and return on the 20th, 12 days to do whatever with. We are active, outdoorsy will go to museums but not one to have to see every painting etc. I posted last night because this weekend we will try to get an itinerary and booking places to stay. Besides a few days in Paris, since we are flying into CDG we thought maybe beach, hiking and vineyards are more of our interests but are open to any and all ideas.
If, it's quicker to travel from a city by train, plane or car that is fine. We have always done that and no problem with driving or a quick flight if it is time saving and reasonable.
We aren't travelers that run from place to place to say we have been there but our question is if you drive and stop along the way and decide how far you want to go that day would we be able to find a place to overnight at? We are looking forward to exploring, dodge rain and as many tourists as possible. Any help with lodging too please.
We will check out all the suggestions from the earlier posts.
Thank you
Dec 30th, 2017, 09:12 AM

>>We aren't travelers that run from place to place to say we have been there but our question is if you drive and stop along the way and decide how far you want to go that day would we be able to find a place to overnight at? We are looking forward to exploring, dodge rain and as many tourists as possible<<

Your posted itinerary is just what you don't want to follow.

- 7/7 Arrive in Paris & spend 1/2 day exploring Paris
- 7/8 Explore Paris
- 7/9 Explore Paris
- 7/10 Take the 9:49 TGV to Annecy that arrives at 13:29. Pick up a car & drive to Chamonix (1 1/4 hrs) & arrive at 15:30. Check into hotel & ready to go at 16:00. You have just a couple of hours in Chamonix. No time to take a lift to some mountain tops.
- 7/11 Visit Mt Blanc & Brevent & hike.
- 7/12 have breakfast, check out of hotel, and head to Nice at 9:30. 7 hr drive to Nice. All autoroute & not that scenic except around Mt Blanc & when you get near Provence. Arrive at 16:30. Check into hotel & ready to go at 17:00. You have only a couple of hours in Nice.
- 7/13 Explore Nice
- 7/14 Explore Nice & surrounds. Note that this is a major holiday & Nice will be quite crowded
- 7/15 Breakfast, check out of hotel, load up on road snacks, and head out to Bordeaux at 9:30. It is a 9 to 9 1/2 non-scenic drive to Bordeaux if you allow time for pottie breaks, lunch, toll road (many) backups, 1 or 2 road construction deviations, and lunch at a gas station. Arrive at 18:30. Check into hotel & ready to head out to dinner at 19:30. No time to see or do anything today except to maybe listen to music while you are driving all day.
- 7/16 Explore Bordeaux. This is a Monday & many shops will be closed in the morning.
- 7/17 Explore Bordeaux
- 7/18 Breakfast, check out of hotel & ready to head to Cognac at 9:30. Arrive in Cognac & park at 11:30. Visit Cognac museum, wander around and have lunch. Leave Cognac at 14:00. Drive to Blois/Loire (3 1/2 hrs) and arrive at 17:30. Check into hotel & ready to go at 18:00. Most chateaux will have closed by now, or you won't have any time to visit them. All you did today was visit Cognac.
- 7/19. Visit 1 or 2 Chateaux in the AM & head to CDG at 13:00. It's a 2 1/2 hr drive, so you'll arrive at 15:30 & check into hotel & ready to go (where) at 16:00. I would stay in Chantilly & visit the Chateau this day or tomorrow before your flight home.
- 7/20 Get to CDG area at 11:00 to return car (we got lost last time we did this) & get to the departing terminal.

Now - add up all the un-scenic driving time & compare it to the "being there/exploring" time. I don't think most people would enjoy this trip.

Again - My suggestion would be:
- Arrive at CDG & immediately take a flight to Nice. Get there in early July to avoid mid/late July crowds. Spend 4 nights in Nice & surrounds. You really don't need a car unless you want to explore the fantastic Nice Hinterland
- Drive 2 1/2 hrs to Provence & spend 4 nights in Provence.
- Drive to Embrun and take the "Route des Grande Alpes" through the Alps to Chamonix. Take 2-3 nights to do this. Perhaps stay in Embrun and/or Briancon, then Chamonix. If Chamonix/Mt Blanc is cloudy - head to Annecy insted.
- Drive/TGV to Paris & spend your remaining days there.

I could also do a Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Loire itinerary - but I've already spent too much time on this.

Stu Dudley
Dec 30th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your time explaining all this. It is greatly appreciated.
Dec 30th, 2017, 11:08 AM

I see you are new to Fodros. Welcome. I have several itineraries for various regions in France. I have sent them to over 6,000 people on Fodors (really!). I have a 35 page one for Provence & the Cote d'Azur, and another for the Alps. Plus the Dordogne, Languedoc, Normandy & Brittany, Pays Basque, Alsace, Burgundy, & Puy du Dome. If you would like one or some of these - e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach them to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Dec 30th, 2017, 12:25 PM

About Paris-Geneva - direct TGV trains from Paris take a bit over 3 hours. Flying longer - book far ahead for fares around 40 euros. Cheaper than flying too. And Paris to Chamonix trains take just a little over 5 hours - go direct by train! One simple change of trains because of track gauge differences - narrow-gauge trains serve Chamonix - very scenic train ride.
Dec 30th, 2017, 02:14 PM

I think that certain members are overdoing their participation. Really, there is no prize to be won for making the longest post, and going on and on does not necessarily make one the best poster.

I am anxiously awaiting the upcoming change here that will allow private messages since it will hopefully eliminate some of this public posturing.
Dec 30th, 2017, 03:36 PM

We've had this conversation before. I did not read anything about over-participation in the Fodors "rules". The OP thanked me for the info I posted. I freely give out my e-mail address here, and many people have contacted me directly for further info - including the OP on this thread.

If you don't like over-participation - ignore it. The OP appreciated the info.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO