Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   July 4th in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/july-4th-in-france-843590/)

Shirleya53 Jun 6th, 2010 09:07 AM

July 4th in France

We will be in Biarritz, France on America's Independence Day----one of our cruise stops. Would it be okay or "safe" to wear red, white, & blue and stars and stripes in France?

Christina Jun 6th, 2010 09:12 AM

Safe? What are you referring to, do you think thugs run around beating up Americans on July 4th?

I think it's a silly thing to do, I would never do that anywhere, even in the US, but I think I would be "safe" to do it.

Why do you want to do this, anyway? I don't see the point, but I'd think that of anyone wearing clothing like that in the US. Are you really going to pack special stars and stripes clothing in your luggage for this event?

Pvoyageuse Jun 6th, 2010 09:14 AM

Finally someone who does not want to dress like a local :-)

Seriously, there is no fashion police in France and you can wear what you want. It depends on how conspicuous you want to be.

StCirq Jun 6th, 2010 09:15 AM

I'm dumbfounded.

flanneruk Jun 6th, 2010 09:28 AM

"Would it be okay or "safe" to wear red, white, & blue"

On July 4, even if France does make it to the semi-finals, you'll look an idiot. Wait till July 6, when the game's actually being played, and you might see a few people painting their faces in the national colours if they're off to a big party to watch.

But two days early? Tacky, frankly.

skibumette Jun 6th, 2010 09:49 AM

It's perfectly natural to want to find a way to celebrate your National holiday, especially when you're away from home. Don't think anyone would object to a mild dose of RWB or stars/stripes. But, as with many things, moderation is the key

nytraveler Jun 6th, 2010 09:56 AM

It's safe to wear whatever you want. Unless, of course, you mind looking ridiculous. Do you usually wear a flag at home on JUly 4th?

ziggypop Jun 6th, 2010 10:33 AM

My son in law is from England, now lives in the USA and I plan on putting a sign on his lawn saying "we kicked your ass" on July 4th. Is that too tacky?

sap Jun 6th, 2010 10:37 AM

Ha, Ziggypop! Well, I guess if he has the stereotypically fabulous Brit wit, he'd think it was funny.

P_M Jun 6th, 2010 10:37 AM

LOL ziggy!!

Wear what you want, I doubt you will even be noticed.

kerouac Jun 6th, 2010 10:51 AM

Ha ha, the question is hilarious.

adrienne Jun 6th, 2010 11:38 AM

Post the photos when you return; I'd love to see this outfit! Do you wear it every July 4th? Where do you find these outfits?

Wear whatever you want. No one really cares. Just make sure your shoes match the outfit.

Fashionista Jun 6th, 2010 11:49 AM

<<"Would it be okay or "safe" to wear red, white, & blue"

On July 4, even if France does make it to the semi-finals, you'll look an idiot. Wait till July 6, when the game's actually being played, and you might see a few people painting their faces in the national colours if they're off to a big party to watch.

But two days early? Tacky, frankly.>>

Snork!

raincitygirl Jun 6th, 2010 04:03 PM

Gee, first the "American" coffee in Spain, now the human flag look for 4th of July in France....I'd love to be a fly on the wall for this trip.

And Fashionista, make that a double snork!

StCirq Jun 6th, 2010 07:31 PM

Be sure to bring sparklers and some fireworks as well. The French LOVE that stuff!