Jules Verne with family

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jules Verne with family

We would like to dine somewhere very pecial 1 night while in Paris. I am looking at the Jules Verne for lunch or dinner. Our youngest child will almost 11. Our other two are fine in age-14 and 21; girls.( the middle one eats very little,however) I've found prix fixe prices and am aware . My question is what about the child's food? Do they have anything offered for children? And if you must choose off the a la carte menu, do you have any advice?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Altitude 95 may be a better option for your family. Here's a review about how kid-friendly it is.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...e_95-BR-1.html
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Instead of dinner, consider going for lunch. It's less expensive and the views are better. When we were there there was a young girl who had some kind of "other" food. I don't know what exactly or what the price was.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
You would undoubtedly find that the wait & cook staff will be very accommodating. It is a very good restaurant & typically they will have entertaining options/menu alterations for children & teens. The price will still be scary though – but the view & ambience is worth it. Call them & ask . . .

Ian
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The review at virtual tourist was quite good on Altitude 95. It is a nice site to read about some other restaurants I've seen mentioned here ,too. The Train Le Bleu looks very interesting,too.
I also appreciate the advice about lunch vs. dinner.
I will call and ask about menu choices for teens and children. I think Jules Verne would be my first choice,if we can make it work. From what I've read it is an event to remember.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
mjs

The Jules Verne is quite nice and a major step up in food quality and price from the Alt 95. Lunch reservations are much easier to get than dinner.
There is a decent fixed price menu for lunch which will keep prices more reasonable. Dinner will be 2 to 3 times more expensive than the FP lunch. The restaurant is quite helpful in arranging something for a picky child eater. Mine had a beef fillet and fries.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM

We had dinner there with our daughters (10 and 12 at the time). No children's menu was offered, but we didn't ask. The girls choose from the menu; they like a lot of different foods, but it was not easy. They did enjoy the dinner.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

HELP! I just tried calling. I can speak only very basic phrases and the person who answered confirmed that he spoke English, but only understood enough to tell me lunch was open ,but not dinner on the day we hoped to go.(which is o.k.)---I couldn't find out about what is offered,or what exactly the fixed price is, and if it is the same price for a child ,or if individual items may be ordered. Can some of you tell me? I do have an idea of the price from various sites, although they differ. If we take the whole family, does the child pay the same as an adult?
Also,what time do you like to do lunch in Paris? Is a certain time more crowded? I read they do late dinners.
Is Jules Verne worth it ,if your budget can afford to do it or are there others places you like better for your one big dinner splurge?
THANKS!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Also, we are looking at a Sauturday or Sunday ,if we have to do lunch instead of dinner. I've read the weekday lunch prices are cheaper, but does that mean the weekend lunch prices are the same as the dinner prices? Are the dinner prices higher on weekends?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM

You can order individual items off a menu. I do not know if they have a children's menu - which is why I recommened Alt 95. The link to the menu was offered on another site (which I think you've read).

The fixed price menu offers 2 or 3 options for each category - what we would consider appetizer, lunch and dessert. Complimentary in between courses are sorbets and wonderful truffles served after the meal. They cannot tell you what is being served on the day you plan to attend - because they have no idea.

So, check out the menu and decide if there is something your kids will like. When you get there, see if there are options on the fixed price menu to decide if you are going to go that option for your kids.

Stop by McDonald's afterwards if they are still hungry.

Jules Verne is an experience. Pricey, but worth it - but no guarantee that a picky eater or a child will enjoy it.

As you read on the Alt 95 review, it is more "kid friendly" and less expensive.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Letsgomom, I know what a tough decision this is. If you go to www.bestrestaurantsparis.com you can find the menu for Le Jules Verne. It says the price fix for lunch is 53 euro (compared to 120 for dinner!). The price fix meal gives you several choices for each course. My daughter (an adult) and I went for lunch and I thought it was a once in a lifetime experience. We really enjoyed it. Honestly, I think I'd rather go for lunch because you can see more. The views are amazing.

If I remember correctly, for lunch you arrive at 12:15 and take the private elevator up. Arrive as early as possible to be seated close to the window. The lunch lasted about 3 hours, if I remember right. Service was great and not at all snooty. The only negative surprise for me was that people were smoking between courses (maybe even between bites!). I don't know about your youngest, but she could just order something ala cart (the menu on that website shows you what's available).
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Catbert, thanks so much for a link to menus. I had not been able to find one. The VT site had a review of Altitude 95 but not Jules Verne. It did not have a menu that I found. Being able to see what they have and how it would break down if my youngest wanted to order a la carte is nice. I guess the problem is that is where I'd really like to dine. I just felt like I didn't even have enough information to make an intelligent decision.The site you recommended is great because of the menus,even if they change daily, it gives you a true impression. Thanks and thanks to all of you who replied.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

I do have one more question. Do any of you know if the lunch PF is the dinner PF on weekends? I read that somewhere and would like to know for sure. Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Yes, the "fixed price menu" is PF. You can also order individual items of what we normally call the menu.

I believe that the lunch and dinner PF's are different. They (can) change daily, so that would mean that they are different throughout the week as well on the weekends.

You can make lunch reservations for varied time seatings. We were one of the first lunch seatings - maybe the 3rd table to be seated. The earlier (as in further ahead) you make the reservation, the closer you are seated to the windows. We had a leisurely lunch, but I don't think we were there for 3 hours.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM

We went to Jules Verne a couple of years ago with our (then) six year old daughter. There was no child's menu, so we just ordered her a plate of 'pommes frites'. The plate arrived with eight fries on it (albeit artfully arranged) and the charge was something like 10 Euros. Accompanied by a 10 euro glass of sprite, it certainly was memorable! Still, we were not going for her benefit, and my husband and I loved our meals. We had a table by the window, so our little one was totally amused and occupied for the entire meal by watching the barges on the Seine. In my view, a window seat is a MUST, so book ages in advance, and take your confirmation with you.