Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Jules Verne Restaurant or Tour l'Argent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 01:59 PM
lisa

We will be a group of women traveling to Paris in June 2003. Two of us are 40+ and five 21year olds (our daughters and some friends). We would like to splurge one night on dinner and are trying to decide on either Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel Tower or Tour l'Argent. Does anyone have any thoughts on which restaurant would be a better choice?

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Ryan

Go with Jules Verne. Tour D'Argent is very stuffy, and frankly, they were pretty obnoxious. I've had dinner at both and would never go to Tour D'argent, again.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:16 PM
ohuh

If you are going to splurge and want it to be truly memorable, go to Taillevent or Alain Ducasse.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:22 PM
just

Of the two..I'd do Tour d'Argent...JV is rather touristy! Or since I want to see what's really new ..I'd do Ze Kitchen Galerie!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Graziella

The tour d&aacute;rgent has become too touristy , Expensive but not worthy it in my opinion.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Ira

It is unlikely that Tour d'Argent will accomodate 7 foreigners at one table. Ruins the ambience to have too many tourists.<BR>Agree with ohuh about the other restaurants.<BR>OTOH, I have found that you can have a more pleasant experience for much less money at a 2 * restaurant.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Grasshopper

Lisa, My daughter (22) and I went to Jules Verne last December. We had a wonderful time and I'm really glad we did it. Consider lunch as an option. It's less expensive (still about $150 for two) and you have a better view in daylight hours. The service was great, the place was full of Parisians and the food was excellent.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xxxx

interesting comment about Tour d'Argent not accomodating too many foreigners at one table. I've eaten there twice. Both times it was virtually all Americans except for a couple of French businessmen entertaining American associates. I assumed that the place was all American or geared for Americans. do regular French couples go there?

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Ian

Lisa<BR><BR>Jules Verne would be the best choice for a 'very' special occasion. The Tour l"Argent, Taillevent etc might have better service and/or better food (the Taillevent is a notch above in both), but the JV wins for ambience.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
xxx

If you pick JV, prepare to open your wallet, WIDE. We ate dinner there two years ago (and I'm sure prices have not decreased)and it was $150 usd per person for an appetizer and entre and one glass of wine. I would've felt better if they just charged a flat fee for the view instead of charging such ridiculous prices for the food (for example lobster claw appetizer $75, an 8 oz filet $50). Just my opinion.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Gretchen

There is a prix fixe meal at lunch and dinner--about $65-75/ at lunch with wine. Dinner is about double this.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Mike

We were looking at having dinner at JV, Tour D'Argent, or Taillevent, but after doing some research and assessing some of the restaurant recommendations on this site, I think we will pass. Might consider lunch at Altitude 95.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Stcirq

Are you doing this just to gain points for eating somewhere famous in Paris, or are you really interested in great French food? If the latter, there are plenty of places you could eat besides the touristy Jules Verne or Tour d'Argent where you would LOVE the food and service but couldn't make quite the PR splash back home. If I had to pick between those two, I'd pick Le Tour d'Argent. If I had an unlimited selection, I'd go elsewhere.