Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jules Verne Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jules-verne-restaurant-434937/)

friskygz May 24th, 2004 08:55 AM

Jules Verne Restaurant

Hi All,
My sister and I are leaving for Paris on Friday May 28th (Yippee!!!) We are considering dining at the Jules Verne at the top of the Eifle Tower. Has anyone gone lately? What should we expect to pay per person? And what should we order? a Kir? Champagne? Appertif's? any suggestions on Lunch or Diner? Should we book a reservation before we leave Sacramento California or wait until we get to the Hotel?

Bon Voyage!
Frisky

DonTopaz May 24th, 2004 09:01 AM

Book a reservation before you leave; they can be difficult to get.

Order whatever you think you would enjoy. A Kir is typically enjoyed before the meal, not during it. You might want to try a Kir Royal, where the cassis is mixed with champagne rather than vin blanc.

The menu will be the same at lunch or dinner. I'd suggest dinner: at this time of year, sunset is very late in Paris (well after 9pm), so you'll enjoy a constantly changing sky.

Thomas May 24th, 2004 09:14 AM

My concierge in Paris informed me that dinner reservations at Jules Verne were difficult to get and were booked till August. Lunch would be easier. So I booked for lunch on June 30. I believe it is best to have your hotel book your reservation. One website shows dinner menu at 122 Euros, while lunch is 55Euros. The A la carte menu shows
160 Euros.(I am not sure what that means). Hours are 12:15-13:45 for lunch while dinner shows 7:15pm to
9:45pm. You really should double check.
Click Jules Verne Restaurant Paris on a search engine, like Google, or other.

parisonmymind May 24th, 2004 10:17 AM

We have never been able to get reservation at the Jules Verne. We tend to plan our trips to Paris on short notice and they were always booked. Our next trip is for Thanksgiving week (thanks to those Air France fares). I called last week and booked a lunch reservation for my birthday (finally!).

Good luck with getting reservations. My aunt and uncle stayed at the Hotel Meurice and the concierge was able to get them reservations with just a few days notice.

Airlawgirl May 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

If you type in "Jules Verne" in the search box, you will find several posts concerning this restaurant.

Grasshopper May 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

Frisky, Go for lunch, it's cheaper, easier to get reservations, and you can see everything (in the daylight). It's a long affair. I think we were there over 3 hours! Have fun. We made our reservation through www.reservethebest.com You need a local phone number (your hotel # will do).

kat1 May 24th, 2004 12:06 PM

friskygz

Whenever you decide to go, lunch or dinner, watch out for the nesting pidgeons!!

Kat1

westiedogs May 24th, 2004 12:12 PM

My husband and I went for lunch about 3 weeks ago and it was wonderful (try to go on a clear day). It is very hard to get a reservation (a table right next to the window gets booked way in advance) but out conceirge was able to get us close. Lunch was about great and it was fun going up in your private elevator. I say go for it!! Just e-mail your hotel now--don't wait till you arrive.

friskygz May 24th, 2004 03:46 PM

Thanks for all of your tips! I've heard that it could cost upto 150 euros per person.... Has Anyone experienced high prices recently

RonZ May 24th, 2004 04:31 PM

To reserve directly, I suggest doing so by fax, including your Paris phone #. They will return a form letter you can show to the elevator operator.

Gretchen May 25th, 2004 04:12 AM

The 150E price would be for dinner which you will not get reservations for at this late date. It could be that for the 2 of you with a nice bottle of wine at lunch.
If you cannot get reservations before you leave have your hotel call when you get there--there are often cancellations and availability at the last minute--for lunch.

DonTopaz May 25th, 2004 04:25 AM

About menus and cartes:

The 'menu' price is for a fixed set of dishes: you choose 1 each from 2 or 3 appetizers (entrees), 2 or 3 main dishes (plats), and 2 or 3 desserts. Coffee is usually included, but wine is not. The menu at lunch is almost always much less expensive than the menu at dinner (and some restaurants offer the menu only at lunch).

The 'carte' prices are for when you order from the regular menu. (It gets confusing, because the English word 'menu' translates to the French word 'carte.') Unlike many U.S. restaurants where the lunch menu (carte) has lower prices than the dinner menu, most restaurants in France have the same 'carte' at lunch and dinner.

friskygz May 26th, 2004 10:12 AM

Thanks so much for all of your tips!
I will try the website: www.reservethebest.com

I'm getting excited about our journey !!! Yippee!!!