Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Judge rules Visa & MC must give customers refunds for hidden coversion charges (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/judge-rules-visa-and-mc-must-give-customers-refunds-for-hidden-coversion-charges-305243/)

HowardR Apr 9th, 2003 05:00 AM

Judge rules Visa & MC must give customers refunds for hidden coversion charges

A California Supreme Court judge ruled that Visa and MasterCard intentionally concealed da 1% currency conversion fee and must give customers refunds. I haven't seen anything yet about how this will be carried out.

ira Apr 9th, 2003 05:17 AM

Hi Howard,<BR> My guess is that the lawyers will get about 775 million and the rest will go to shipping and handling.

lynnek Apr 9th, 2003 05:55 AM

Ira, too funny!!

sfowler Apr 9th, 2003 06:36 AM

Good one ira -- thanks for the info Howard -- at least it's a moral victory :)

RufusTFirefly Apr 9th, 2003 08:10 AM

More than a moral victory--makes other corporations/businesses pause before they bury info on hidden fees.

Budman Apr 9th, 2003 08:15 AM

After the lawyers get their cut, you'll be lucky to get 50 cents back.

HowardR Apr 9th, 2003 09:03 AM

Regardless of how much the cardholders get, perhaps the most important thing is that the nondisclosure practice will stop.

Christina Apr 9th, 2003 09:28 AM

do you have a reference for what you cite? I just wondered if that's final or old news as there was a preliminary decision on that in February. VISA is headquartered in California so it would affect all their customers, but MC is not, so it would only affect California MC customers. <BR><BR>I think they deserve a judgement against them (and I will be owed something by VISA if so) because they do try to hide the fee. When I first heard about this foreign currency conversion fee, I looked all over my terms they send when you get a card and it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Lesli Apr 9th, 2003 09:33 AM

Christina, there's another thread on this topic, and I posted the following link there: http://news.findlaw.com/business/s/20030408/financialmastercarddc.html<BR><BR>Not very detailed, but since the decision just came down yesterday, it's the best I could find.<BR>

rex Apr 9th, 2003 09:40 AM

Cited from news articles on recent legilsative changes afefcting class action suits:<BR><BR>In a class action suit against Cheerios over a food additive, with no evidence of injury to any consumers, lawyers were paid nearly $2 million in fees, or approximately $2,000 per hour. Meanwhile, consumers in the lawsuit received coupons for a free box of cereal. <BR><BR>A class action suit was filed against a music record label to recover the money that consumers paid for albums by the phony, lip-synching group Milli Vanilli. The lawsuit resulted in the plaintiffs receiving a reward between $1 to $3, while lawyers� fees were $675,000.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

Jim_Tardio Apr 9th, 2003 09:56 AM

You should also be aware that most banks issuing your card also charge a conversion fee...and it is usually higher than what MC &amp; Visa charge.<BR><BR>So, in addition to the 1% Visa, MC charge, you're almost sure to get another 2-3% tacked on to it.<BR><BR>I didn't notice it when the dollar was stronger, but with the conversion to Euros it's painfully obvious.<BR><BR>If anyone knows any cards that don't add their own fee, please pass the info along.

Lesli Apr 9th, 2003 10:20 AM

MBNA charges no additional conversion fees on top of those charged by Visa and Mastercard. The last time I enquired, Visa's charge was 1% and MC's 2%, so I use my MBNA Visa as much as possible when charging anything in foreign currency.

starspinners Apr 9th, 2003 10:45 AM

Jim_Tardio,<BR>Unless its policy has changed since my last trip outside the US, my Capital One VISA does not charge the extra 2% fee.

flygirl Apr 9th, 2003 10:48 AM

Ira, it won't be shipping and handling - it will be a bunch of 50 cents off coupons for each purchase you make over 50 bucks using your Visa/MC. and yes, the lawyers will get about a billion bucks out of it.

Jim_Tardio Apr 9th, 2003 10:51 AM

Thanks for the tips about MBNA &amp; Capital One. I was also considering a card issued from a European bank...specifically a Lufthansa card.<BR><BR>Does anyone by chance know if European issued cards charge a fee?

Lovejoy Apr 9th, 2003 10:57 AM

Here is a link to the decision by a California Superior Court,not the Supreme Court, in todays San Francisco Chroncle. Both Mastercard ,and Visa said thy will appeal the decision.<BR>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...;type=business

DB Apr 9th, 2003 11:31 AM

Let's see:<BR><BR>The conversion rate is 1.6:1 and you want $150, so it took our embedded (re: needed for other things and already paid for) computer 100 nano seconds to make this computation, so we are going to charge you $3.00.<BR><BR>I guess they just need the money.<BR>