Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jogging/Running in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jogging-running-in-europe-609188/)

mamaj Apr 20th, 2006 07:06 AM

Jogging/Running in Europe

We will be traveling this summer to Sweden, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium. Do people jog in these places- or will I look like a total idiot running through the streets?

j_999_9 Apr 20th, 2006 07:10 AM

Running is OK in those places, but there's the problem of logistics in some of the older cities. It's just darn hard to find places to run along the crowded, narrow streets. A lot will depend on which cities you visit, moreso than the countries.

historytraveler Apr 20th, 2006 07:16 AM

The only place whee I got stares was in Russia. Maybe it was the tights!

Parks are usually a good place as well as along rivers and canals. If you go early morning (my favorite time) you can actualy run about anywhere as there is very little traffic and almost no one around.

wally34949 Apr 20th, 2006 07:19 AM

With all of the walking I do in Europe, I don't think I need to go jogging, but I agree with historytraveler

RSSmith Apr 20th, 2006 08:02 AM

This doesn't answer your question directly, but the post reminds me of my honeymoon in the Greek islands. We were on Chios and stayed in a very non-touristy area. I went running early one morning and did get several "what is that crazy lady doing??" looks from farmers along the road. I am laughing just recalling it.

enzian Apr 20th, 2006 08:30 AM

mamaj---

I haven't run in Sweden, but I have run in the cities of Oslo, Bergen, Munich, and Berlin, plus Copenhagen, London, Venice, and Kyoto. I try to find a park, walking path, or at least a pedestrian zone close to our hotel, but usually end up running a few blocks on city streets to get there. I try not to annoy the commuters hurrying to work, and have never felt the sting of any kind of disapproval. In some places you may see other runners, but not right downtown in the larger cities. I asked a Norwegian friend about it, and he said that while they would choose to go to a sports center to get their exercise, it was just fine to run in the cities.

P_M Apr 20th, 2006 08:42 AM

If you do go running, I wouldn't try it on cobblestone roads. Too easy to trip.

Queenie Apr 20th, 2006 08:55 AM

Each of those countries have huge running communities with races throughout the year – you will not look strange running.

I would ask for a map at the hotel desk before I set out to prevent getting lost – they may also have advice on where to go.

I would be a bit leary of trying the wanderweg trails in Germany and Switzerland . Although quite lovely, it is very, very easy to get lost and that 30 minute run may turn into 2 hours.

Also, take a card with the hotel address in case you get lost. And put your name and an emergency contact on the card in case you become ill, etc.

If you go early in the morning, as soon as it is light, you should have no problem.

mamaj Apr 20th, 2006 08:58 AM

thanks for all the responses- I too feel I will walk WAY too much each day, but since I have just started running about a month ago and I don't want to lose the endurance I will have built up by then! I just have visions of people looking for a pursesnatcher or asking me where the fire is! LOL

enzian Apr 20th, 2006 09:25 AM

If you are dressed for running, people will know you are running for exercise, not in flight from a fire. Have fun.

lucielou Apr 20th, 2006 09:29 AM

I live in Dublin and run most evenings, last May I visited Belgium and was very surprised to see no body running in the parks or streets, I spoke to my Belgian friend about this and he siad " its just not done there".