Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jogging in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jogging-in-paris-122617/)

suzy May 7th, 2001 05:39 PM

Jogging in Paris

I know I will be doing a lot of walking - but I will also be doing a lot of eating and drinking.....is it acceptable to jog in Paris? <BR> <BR>We will be staying in the 7th ast Duquesne de Eiffel - are there areas around there were I can go for an early morning jog?? <BR> <BR>This is a serious question - replies would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Suzy-Q

wendy May 7th, 2001 05:50 PM

Although I doubt you will gain weight with all the walking, if peace of mind in jogging is what you are looking for, head to the river. Run along the quays towards Notre Dame. Stay on the street sidewalks where it is level, not the river level, as I twisted my ankle onece running over the cobblestones.

Jon May 7th, 2001 06:42 PM

Suzy- <BR>Just be sure not to run by too fast...we hate it when runners cause a draft while we're trying to enjoy our cigarettes at the outdoor cafe tables. <BR>Have a great trip, <BR>j.

StCirq May 7th, 2001 07:24 PM

Suzy: YOu can certainly take lots of great jogs in that part of Paris - on the Champs de Mars, around Les Invalides and Le Musée des Invalides, and just up to the Seine and back, depends on how long you want to jog for. You won't be an anomaly - lots of Parisians jog these days, too - unlike in the 80s, when I actually got stopped jogging by a guy somewhere near the Place Ecole Militaire who warned me I was endangering my health...go figure.

Art May 7th, 2001 09:20 PM

Just don't wear a pink jogging suit!

Ann May 7th, 2001 10:13 PM

I've often seen people jogging in the Tuileries.

Melissa May 7th, 2001 10:37 PM

Jog around the Champ de Mars, that seems to be fairly popular. The joggers are much like Americans in exchanging greetings as you pass, only it's "bon jour" instead of "good morning!" You can also jog around the Luxembourg Gardens, and then you can say you've literally followed in the "footsteps" of every famous person in history! Have fun!

Randall Smith May 8th, 2001 06:51 AM

Dear Suzy, <BR> <BR>I'm always searching for places to run when on vacation. It is a great way to see the area from a different viewpoint and of coarse burn some calories. <BR> <BR>I have several runs in Paris. I agree with the above that the area along the Seine is one of the best. <BR> <BR>We are located fairly close to the Jardin des Plantes and the Jardin du Luxembourg, which are good places to run, you always see joggers there. <BR> <BR>I actually like running through the streets of Paris. If you look for the Bike lanes it's not to bad, but you definitely need to be careful. I just love running through 2000 years of history, by the outdoor markets, etc. <BR> <BR>One very nice run is on the Promenade Plantee, a converted railway coming into Paris. You can enter it in the 12me just up the street from the Bastille Opera House on Ave. Daumesnil, look for the flight of stairs on the same side of the avenue as the opera house. It is level with the 2me etage of the buildings you pass, and it gives some unusual veiws of Paris. I've only run on it twice now and haven't gone all the way to the end. It is also good for walkers, No Bikes or Rollerbladers!! <BR> <BR>Hope this has been helpful. <BR> <BR>RJS <BR> <BR>Finally the Bois de Boulogne and the Bois de Vincennes during the day. <BR> <BR>

Suzy May 8th, 2001 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the info on jogging - glad to see I won;t be out of place. <BR> <BR>One more question on the topic if I may - hope it doesn;t sound ridiculous - but what is proper jogging attire - running shorts and a tank top like I wear in NY ok? <BR> <BR>Thanks again. <BR> <BR>Suzy

StCirq May 8th, 2001 06:22 PM

Suzy: <BR> <BR>If you're actually out there jogging and looking like a serious exerciser, wear whatever you like. The Parisians who jog took their fashion cue from Americans. Just don't wear anything so revealing that you might be construed as something other than a serious exerciser.