JoeTro's quick and dirty Glasgow report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be short, but I at least want to get something out there. Thanks to noe and everyone else who helped with planning.

I visited Glasgow March 17-19, with EasyJet.

March 17:

EasyJet from Luton. I was very worried about the construction that had just started, but I was not delayed in the slightest coming from Oxford. I was one of the first 10 to check in, so I get a good position in the queue to board.

I arrived in Glasgow in the late morning, and then proceeded to get lost for a bit. I needed to reach Kelvingrove Hotel in the West End, and I basically took the wrong stop from the airport bus. I wandered around to the main square (name escapes me right now ... maybe George Square) and found the Tourist info office. I finally then figured out where to catch the bus I needed to the hotel. It stopped right in front.

My room was not ready, but they put me in another one that was. It was room 3, right next to reception. This could be a bit noisy at times, especially in the mornings for breakfast, but it meant no stairs and a big bed for just little old me. The room was pretty nice, with a nice table, chairs and flowers. The TV was not so hot though, only 4-5 channels and nothing news-related.

I set out for the Kelvingrove Museum, which was very close to the hotel. This was my main reason for coming, as it had just re-opened. It was an amazing museum and reminded me a bit of the museums in Vienna that were so pretty from the outside. I loved the paintings here, especially all the Scotish colorists. I love impressionism, and it is neat to see it represented in other countries besides France. The French paintings were also lovely, as, really, was the whole museum. It wasn't just art, which was kind of neat, but I went fairly quickly through some of the sciencey stuff. I'd say I spent 2 hours here. There was an organ concert taking place in the main hall as I was leaving, so I stayed for a few minutes extra to listen. That was very neat.

I then walked to Hunterian Museum. It took a few minutes to find. I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I love Whistler and enjoyed the paintings there, but many were not on display because they only have so much space. I decided not to go to the Mackintosh House there. The weather was bad so perhaps I should have stayed, but I chose not to. The giftshop had some good sales, and I stocked up on 2 big Whistler posters for 90 p each. These didn't fit in the bag I took with me, though.

It was raining fairly good outside, but I wanted to wander around the University. The Chapel was closed for a wedding, which was disappointing, but I visited the quads and just wandered around. It was raining really hard now; I was totally soaked! I wandered around Byrnes Road, booked an early meal for tomorrow at Number 16. I stopped at a coffee place very near the hotel for a smoothie and to dry off, and then made my way back to the hotel.

By this time is was 4 pm. I was super tired as I'd gotten no sleep the night before, and the weather was so bad I didn't want to go out again. The next thing I knew it was 10 pm. Oops! I got a ton of sleep that night.

March 18:

Was spent at Pollok House and Burrell Collection. Rather than raining all day, it decided to snow. It was coming down pretty hard as I was waiting for the bus, and I caught a cold at this point I'm sure, but it was worth it.

I was afraid I'd missed the Pollok House stop, as it seemed like I'd been on the bus for a while and was going past some shady places, but I suddenly saw the sign for the entrance.

There was a courtesy bus at the front entrance to take people up to Pollok House, but for some reason I decided to walk. I made it halfway and then got trapped by a bunch of mud that I didn't want to walk through. So, I trudged back down to take the bus.

I really enjoyed Pollok House. The gardens were nice for early March, and the house was very impressive with a lot of art. On top of that, I got in free, but I paid 4 pounds for a guidebook.

I then took the courtesy bus to the Burrell Collection, which I also enjoyed very much. I'm a bit hazy now on the details, but I know that the paintings were very strong.

I made it back to the hotel, again around 4 or 4:30. My meal was 5:30, so I rested for a bit and then walked to Number 16. I'd forgotten about this while booking, but it was Mothering Sunday, which gave them a reason to up the prices a little. The meal, though, was one of the best I have ever had. I had three courses with wine for about 22 pounds, which is a fair amount by my standards, but it was totally worth it!

Early bed that night.

March 19:

was spent in the City Centre. Lots of walking around and shopping. I took the tour of the City Chambers at 10:30, which was impressive. There were a couple of annoying people on the tour, though.

I wasn't quite sure what to do after, as there were several sites I wanted to see with little time for them all. I eventually decided on the LightHouse, mainly for the view up top. I was a bit diappointed. Architecture just isn't my thing. The Mackintosh floor was kind of interesting, but the view was not as pretty as I was expecting up top. I had lunch at the cafe there, which was very good. I had a burger and free for fairly cheap.

I wanted to go to St. Mungos, but it would have been a bit of a walk and the public transport was not good. I didn't have much time, so I decided to skip it and go back to the hotel early, so I would not miss my flight.

The flight back was uneventful. I had to wait a bit before I could even check in, as I was super-early.

Feel free to chime in with questions.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Nice report. Well what was the best meal= what'd you have?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

A nice fish-cake as the starter, risoto (maybe spinach?) as the main, and sticky toffee pudding as the dessert. I'd never had sticky toffee pudding before. I thought it would be more like a liquidy thing rather than a cake. Forgot how pudding often just means desert.

My goal now is to have banoffe pie.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Your report reminds me of one visit to Glasgow in April 2003. I too stayed at the Kelvingrove Hotel and visited the Kelvingrove Museum. Unfortunately, the latter was in the process of closing for the renovations that are now completed. The first floor was open but the painting galleries were closed. But still an interesting trip and a neat city. Thanks for your report.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks for posting this, JoeTro. Glasgow is so rarely covered in trip reports here.

Art history was my major undergraduate field of study and I love museums, but most of my family is bored by them, so I rarely get to as many as I'd like. It's interesting to read about your museum-packed trips.

I agree that the restored Kelvingrove was a treat, inside and out. Did you get to see Dali's Crucifixion of St. John of the Cross? It was on one of the galleries upstairs. The Scottish Colorists were good, and also the Glasgow Boys. And several gems in the painting galleries on the first floor.

The Burrell was an interesting collection - so many different kinds of art. Medieval stained glass and ivories, needlework samplers, Islamic rugs, Asian sculpture. The painting collection was small (located in a few rooms up a stair) but had some very nice French works.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the Lighthouse. We went when it opened and there was a very good exhibit of the design work of Philippe Starck.

I'm making a note of the restaurant for our next visit.

btw, if you're still planning to visit Berlin, you will not be disappointed. The museums are amazing. And there are so many! It would be a shame for you to miss Dresden, though. The Green Vaults are incredible and the Old Master collection at the Zwinger was quite nice.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I loved the Glasgow boys too. I did see and enjoyed the Dali painting.

Now I remember the Burrell! It was excellent. There were so many different kinds of art. I don't think I've seen that many periods/places represented. I spent at least 2 hours there.

I am visiting Berlin in 2 weeks. I would love to see Dresden, but there is so much in Berlin to see, and I'd like to take a day trip to Potsdam, that I don't think I'll have time. Dresden is on my list in the future, though, when I have more time.

I hated museums when I was kid, but now I rush around to as many of them as possible. Studying in Europe and traveling alone helped me realize what I liked and valued in traveling.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
yk

Still waiting for your Vienna trip report!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Yeah ... sorry about that. It could be a while for that one, if I can remember what happened.

In two weeks I leave for Budapest and Berlin and I VOW to have a trip report for that soon after getting back.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Glad you enjoyed Glasgow although sorry you were unlucky with the weather. Not that quick a report ! You certainly packed a lot in.

I assume you are not interested in contemporary art but if you are, & fancy a repeat visit, there are plenty of galleries and artists' spaces to visit.

The same weekend we were in Berlin for our second visit and it is one of our favourite cities - you'll love it.

Do I gather you are an American but living in southern England ?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, there are always more places to be seen anywhere, I suppose. I'm not very keen on modern art.

I'm an American living in Oxford and relishing the ability to travel (though it's been not as often as I'd anticipated).

I'll post an itinerary soon about Berlin for review. It'll be hard to fit everything in there for sure!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM

In case it helps here's a link to my Berlin trip report from 2 years ago - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34614269

Haven't had time to update it yet with what we did this year.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I used your Berlin report quite a bit, Caroline, especially for restaurants, (and I thought of you every time we passed the Opera.) I'm working on my Berlin trip report now, and it's shaping up to be LONG. I loved it so much I'm already hoping for a return trip to Berlin with my husband in September!

To bring this back to Glasgow, here is the trip report of my summer trip that started with 10 days in Glasgow:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34870457

I wish I'd been able to get to Pollack House, and the Tenement House intrigued me as well. I'm a fan of the People's Palace as well - amazing building right on the Glasgow Green, and a very interesting collection.

Looks like after coming to Scotland/Glasgow 3 of the past 4 summers, that 2007 will be a 'no Scotland' year for our family.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>a 'no Scotland' year</i>&quot; (but Berlin is great to)

JoeTro: Very nice report! There - that didn't hurt, did it

I know you are trying to get in lots of weekend/short trips - but the time sure does pass/get filled up fast doesn't it? I lived near Oxford for 5 years and tho' I managed to go to a TON of places, there were still scores of others I missed just in the UK and even more on the continent.

You are going to school - I didn't work or go to school so had even more free time than you do. So you are doing <u>really</u> well. I always like seeing your questions on here because I know you are making the most of your time and usually ask about really interesting places/trips.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM

How kind of you to say so, no847 - so glad to be of use. Berlin is great, isn't it ? As is Glasgow, of course ! Actually we came back from Berlin saying we should have 'holidays at home' too - eat every meal out, visit museums etc
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind words, janis. I so appreciate all of your help with my many UK questions.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:48 AM
yk

&lt; Author: JoeTro
Date: 04/10/2007, 08:08 am
Yeah ... sorry about that. It could be a while for that one, if I can remember what happened. &gt;

That's more of a reason for you to write a trip report, so that you'll remember what you did!

BTW, I'm also glad to see you visiting so many places - as long as you don't fail your finals.

I lived in London for a year as a junior year abroad, but that was over a decade ago. Unfortunately, back then, it was before the Chunnel or budget airlines, so I didn't get to visit as many places on the Continent as I wish I could. (I did take overnight coaches to Paris and Amsterdam.) On the flip side, it gave me opportunity to visit other parts of UK including Wales and Scotland.

Enjoy your upcoming trips!