JoeTro's London trip report with parents

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

JoeTro's London trip report with parents

This is a bit belated, but here goes. This would have been 2 weeks ago.

SATURDAY

I met my parents in London on a Saturday, from Oxford. We were staying at 22 Jermyn Street, so I easily Tubed it from Baker Street. The hotel was nice ... cute decoration, plenty of space, but definitely noisy at night.

We first went to Kensington Palace via Tube. I got my parents Oyster cards. My Mom really wanted to see the Diana stuff, which I enjoyed. I'd been there before and liked it a bit more than I'd originally thought, but it is still not my favorite. Something about it just seems a little dull or empty.

We then took a taxi to the London Eye, because it was pretty overcast and looked like it was going to pour. I've never seen so many people in one place! We bought the Fast Track and got on fairly quickly, just before the rain started. I really enjoyed the flight.

Finally, we metroed to the Monet exhibition at Royal Academy. Mom is not into art that much, and she was tired, so she basically parked herself in a bench upon arriving at the Monet, but Dad and I really enjoyed ourselves. As always, the exhibition was in a small space and crowded. I preferred the paintings over the drawings and especially loved the last room.

It was really started to rain, so we wandered a little around Picadilly. We ate at an Italian restaurant next to Fortnum and Mason (have fogotten name), which was good. I had a nice pasta filled with fish.

We then went back to the hotel, as my parents were really jet-lagged!

SUNDAY

Had breakfast at a chain cafe near hotel, and then went to Royal Mews. Liked it more than I thought I would. We next went to the Queen's Gallery, which I really enjoyed. The focus was Italian art, which I usually don't like, but I somehow managed to really enjoy myself here. The audioguide was very good.

I remember it was raining pretty good at this point. I'd really wanted to visit Spencer House, as it was one of 2 days the gardens were open, but the weather was not cooperating, and since we'd already seen Kensington, my parents thought it would be more of the same. It was also pretty cold out. I can't remember exactly what we did, but I think we wandered more around the shops/arcades in Picadilly (most of which were closed on Sunday), and then walked a little around the Circus and Regent's Street.

We had dinner at Bentleys, I think it was called, on Swallow Street. We all had fish and chips, which were very good but quite overpriced for fish and chips.

MONDAY

My parents left early Monday, but I stayed in London for the bank holiday. I'd really wanted to visit St. Albans and Hatfield House, but it was cold and rainy outside, so I went to the V and A and the British Museum. I somehow managed to see most everything I wanted to in both places, which is quite a feat, but at the same time I feel like I just kept moving the whole time, rarely stopping to actually spend any time looking at anything. Both places were quite busy. I enjoyed the Kylie Minogue exhibition. I love her music!

Lunch was at the Harrods Cafe across from Harrods ... I wanted to eat at L'Metro but couldn't find it. Dinner was at Ultimate Burger near the British Museum, as I was really in the mood for a Burger, and I thought I probably wouldn't be able to get into Arbutus. The Burger, fries and milkshake were very good, but a little pricey, about 10-11 pounds.

Took the Espress back to Oxford around 7.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:44 AM

you guys squeezed in a lot - Your folks must be troupers to make Kens Palace, the Eye, the RA and dinner on their jetlagged first day.

The first time I went to the Mews I didn't think I'd enjoy them either, but really did and have been back twice over the years.

Too bad about the weather.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
yk

Thanks for posting! Glad you and your parents had a good time - too bad about the weather.

Was the Surrealism show on at the V&A when you visited?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Great report, JoeTro! You did a lot, especially on that jet lagged Saturday! The hotel must have been convenient; interesting that it was noisy. I hope to get to the Queens Gallery and the Mews on a future trip.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Oops, meant to add that must have been a heroic effort to see V&A and British Museum in one day.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Janisj: Yes, they did manage to do a lot the first day, though they flew business, so they shouldn't have been too tired

yk: the surrealism was on, but I skipped it in favor of Kylie. I'm just not that into surrealism.

noe: yes, it was a busy Monday. Probably not the smartest idea to see perhaps the 2 biggest museums in London on a crowded Bank Holiday with crappy weather, but there we are.