Jody -- How was Parc des Marechaux?

Jan 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Jody -- How was Parc des Marechaux?

Hi Jody,

I was just wondering how you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Le Parc des Marechaux in Auxerre.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:26 AM

We were delighted with it!

It was easy to find coming into town. It is located on a quiet residental street but about a 7 minutes walk right into the center of the old town. There is ample parking, a pool and a pretty garden.

The staff, one of whom is an Englishwoman married to a Frenchman, were always pleasant and helpful, offering suggestions and making dinner reservations.

There is a nice lounge where you can have a drink before going out or on coming back. Our room was well furnished and overlooked the garden and had a small balconey.

I have pictures somewhere on Ofoto. I'll find the link and post it for you later.

We didn't have breakfast there but my DH looked at the buffet and said it looked pretty good. We are not breakfast eaters, just coffee.

If you go to Auxerre, make sure to stop into the tourist office and pick up a map of the Cadet Roussel trail. It really leads to all the right places and with the sidewalk markers is easy to follow , either the whole way or in parts!
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Here are some pictures of Auxerre and the hotel

http://tinyurl.com/y4zx2r
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Jody, thanks so much for posting your lovely pictures -- I cannot wait to be there! How many nights did you stay in Auxerre? Which room did you have? Have you posted a trip report? I would love to read about your experiences.

I e-mailed Parc des Marechaux last night for a reservation for 3 nights. Based on recommendations by MaisonMetz, I requested the Murat or another of the larger corner rooms. (It's a bit of a splurge, but it is our last 3 nights in France.) I wasn't sure if I should also be requesting a room in the back, for a garden view, or what would be best.

We will definitely visit the tourist office in Auxerre for the trail map and maybe the city pass for reduced admission to the cathedrals. I know we will want to take a side trip to Vezelay and maybe to Bazoches afterwards to get a glimpse of the Morvan. Where did you go to get that picture of the footbridge over the Cure? There is so much to see, but I don't want us to be rushing around all the time.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM

We were there for 3 nights.. driving in from a tiny place between Beaune and Dijon. We arrived on a Sunday morning after stopping off in Avallon on our way, Sundays in Auxerre and most other places in the countryside can be a bit of a disappointment.Nothing is open! We finally found someplace to have lunch..and it was really good. We were there around the 19th of November..a few places we wanted to eat and visit were closed for holidays after the busy season. But the woman at Le Parc suggested other places and called around for us. We were in room ,Berthier...we all had a good laugh about my pronunciation! I really wish I knew her name..she is the manageress and is a delightful person.

I booked there too on the recommendation of Jo..MaisonMetz!

Sunday was a bust food wise! We ended up having dinner at the same place we had lunch..not that it wasn't good but it was really the ONLY place open!

The hotel made a reservation for us on Mon. for La Salamandre..it was probably the best meal we had in the month in France!

We were to drop off our car on Wed for the train back to Paris ...but the train left at 5:45 AM so we had to drop off the day before and changed our plans to do Vezelay on Monday and Auxerre on Tuesday. Actually we dropped the car off on Monday on the way back to the hotel after Vezelay..saved a day's rental!

We went thru Foret de Morvan on our way there. There were some intersting caves to stop in along the way..but the DH gets in a car and wants to arrive where he sets out for!!!

The picture of the Cure was taken on our way to Fortenay to see the abbey. We just kind of wandered around and found lots of lovely places to stop and at least take pictures. Unfortunately we hit the abbey while it was closed! They have limited hours in fall and winter.

I don't remember paying for any admissions to anyplace! Maybe it's different in season. We had some really lovely coversations with locals..especially with the owner of the antique shop just before the main church! His English was almost perfect.he learned it from a tutor from Memphis..ELVIS!!

I've gone on too long..you'll have a lovely time... Go and Enjoy!

Jan 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM

ttt for kay
Jan 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Jody. We arrive on a Sunday from Beaune, so I guess I know where we will be eating. LOL. Maybe we will stop for lunch before we get to town so we will have some variety between lunch and dinner.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM

Thanks, Jody!!