jewlery or no jewlery?

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Ramy

jewlery or no jewlery?

It is safe to wear my engagement ring if in Paris or Italy? I went several years to Paris and thought it was safe- but friends are telling me not to wear any jewlery.
Ramy

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:48 AM
colleen

Hi Ramy,

I just got a beautiful ring for my birthday that I won't wear on my trip to France next week--I don't want to stand out--(with the exception of my great big white tennis shoes, jeans, baseball cap and a fanny pack;-) Anyway, I've been advised in the same way--wear nice, inexpensive jewelry, leave the good stuff at the bank. My sister-in-law who is traveling with us, however, will wear all her jewelry--her motto is that "there's no use having good jewelry if you can't wear it!" She just flips the diamond to the inside of her hand when she feels unsafe.

Quite a dilema…

Colleen

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Linda

Good heavens you wear it home don't you? Women in France and Italy wear rings, likewise other jewelry too. Unless you have a 20 ct. diamond or something wear what you normally wear. I wear my rings (and I have a very decent sized diamond I might add) where ever I go. As for other jewelry, a nice simple gold chain or pendant is what I wear - take a look at the natives, you will see they are wearing jewelry. Use common sense and do not hang out in dangerous areas or dark streets, etc. I'd use the same precautions as at home. Always be careful but don't be paranoid.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:02 PM
s.fowler

Just "topped" a recent thread on this topic for you.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:15 PM
jhm

If you have a piece of jewelry that attracts attention (hanging pendant necklace/diamond ring), I would hide it while on mass transit/walking at night (i.e. put pendant inside blouse/turn ring so that diamond faces palm of your hand rather than back of your hand).

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:15 PM
peter

some plain jewlery will not attract attention to yourself..a diamond or other precious stone of any size will. since there are people who are looking for just such oppertunities, why take the chance of being harmed or losing sosmething that has sentimental value. if robbed your chance of recovery is nil.

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Mary Ann

On 3 trips to europe and one to OZ and NZ, I have always worn my diamond engagement ring and never felt unsafe. The problem can be not just for theft but for losing something, especially if you are making many stops. I never take the ring off, so that is not a problem. When it comes to ear rings or necklaces, most of which you take off to swim, sleep or shower there is a chance of loss. So I usually take minimal jewelry in those categories or take cosmetic pieces that if lost would not greatly upset me.
On the vacation you want to relax and enjoy yourself and keep worries to a minimum (like praying for great weather). If it will worry you to take it, leave it at home.

Old May 19th, 2001, 06:03 AM
carol

I think my chances of getting mugged are much slimmer when I travel in Europe than when I go about my business at home. That may be, in part, because I try to avoid places that I feel are "dangerous". Stay-at-home types THINK I'm very adventurous, but my adventurousness is limited to going alone to remote towns and countryside where there Americans rarely visit; I'm a complete chicken when it comes to crime-ridden urban neighborhoods, home or abroad. In typical small and medium sized cities (e.g., Siena) and relatively "safe" of large cities (e.g., Paris), I think rings and very securely fastened earrings are fine. However, necklaces that can open, earrings that can slip of, and big rings that you may remove for certain activities are probably not so safe, simply because it will be nearly impossible to retrace your sets to find lost and misplaced items as your might in your own neighborhood and workplace.

My own solution is to wear fake pearl earrings, nice silver earrings that tend not to slip off, an inexpensive necklace that goes with a lot of clothes, scarves instead of necklaces for other tops, and no rings. But then again, though I do wear gold and genuine jewelry at hope, I really don't wear anything extremely valuable. However, I tend to temporarily lose post earrings in my own bedroom, and I remove rings for dirty or greasy or rough activities and bathing, so I'm someone who should probably avoid taking certain items on trips.

Old May 19th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Jody

I don't wear a lot of jewelry even at home, my engagement ring hasn't been on my finger in months! I have a wide gold wedding band that I never remove, only wear earrings in evening with certain hairstyles, and am a big woss so I don't have pierced ears so buy inexpensive goldtone loops with clips so no problem if I lose those. If my ears were pierced I would have no problem with wearing studs, but I'd steer clear of loops as a friend had one pulled from her ear and was knocked to the ground, however this was in dallas so don't know if that counts.

Having said all this I do wear a Rolex and a gold and silver bracelet on my left wrists and a heavy gold link bracelet on my right all the time. I really don't worry too much about theft I am more afraid of forgeting them on the night stand. I now loop them around the nosepiece on my glasses , works for rings too, Can't find the side of the bed without the glasses so when I pick them up I just automatically put on my watch, etc.

Old May 19th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Ellen

I'm in Rome right now (having a wonderful time I might add), and have worn my rings and watch everywhere without any worries. I am fairly observant, and have not noticed anyone giving my jewelry a second glance. Just keep a watch around you, just as you would in any large city worldwide.

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:56 AM
Angela

This is always a hotly debatd issue on this site, but I will give my input and experience. For me, the fear in Europe is not theft (after all I live in downtown chicago and the crime is not any worse there than here) but the fear for me is LOSING a piece of jewelry. Therefore, I do not take jewelry that must be taken on and off or changed each day. I do however take my engagement and wedding ring which I never remove for ANY reason from my hand so I have no chance of losing them. My wedding set is antique and valued at over $20,000.00, but I would feel worse if I took it off to leave at home and forgot where I put it! I think its safer on my hand.

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes safety depends on you, your and your precious ornament's security is in your hand but it is not in all the cases.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff - you registered to respond to a 12 year old thread.