Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jewish Memorials in Paris: Which to see if limited time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jewish-memorials-in-paris-which-to-see-if-limited-time-386137/)

jrjcolllins Jun 29th, 2008 09:38 AM

Jewish Memorials in Paris: Which to see if limited time?

We will be in Paris in September and would like to see at least one of the Jewish memorials. In reading guidebooks I found the Memorial de la Deportation (near Notre Dame), the Memorial de la Shoah at 17 rue Geoffroy l'Aisnier, and the Musee d'art et Histoire du Judaisme at 71 rue de Temple. If you could only see one or two, which would you choose?

avalon Jun 29th, 2008 09:47 AM

I'd chose if only 1, ther Deprtation Memorial or if 2 that and Art and History

Christina Jun 29th, 2008 09:56 AM

The museum, but a museum and memorial aren't the same thing at all, and don't take the same amount of time.

MelJ Jun 29th, 2008 10:12 AM

If you're stopping at Notre Dame, the Deportation Memorial is just across the small, lovely park at the rear of the cathedral. It takes just a few minutes to descend, pause and remember--it's not something you need time to "tour," as a museum would be. So it needn't be considered part of an either/or.

I haven't been to the Musee d'art et Histoire du Judaisme, but plan to see it when we return.

bilboburgler Jun 29th, 2008 12:01 PM

I agree with MelJ.

amer_can Jun 29th, 2008 12:10 PM

The Deportation Memorial is a spot for comtemplating our good fortunes. It is very moving..crystal dots evoking deported souls. Jewish or otherwise it is memorable. Easy to find behind Notre Dame and well worth the few minutes of your trip to help realize what we have!!!

adrienne Jun 29th, 2008 12:34 PM

You should stop in and see the Deportation Memorial if you're in the area. It will take about 10 minutes to see it and it's a very worth-while 10 minutes. I've been there several times.

I couldn't find the Shoah Memorial since I didn't have the street address. I saw 1 sign pointing in the direction but that was it and I didn't have time to search more. I don't think it's very far from the Jewish Museum.

I'd highly recommend the Jewish Museum. I spent a couple of hours in there (but you could see it in a shorter time). Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

"What a wonderful small museum. What I liked most were the photos throughout the museum of ordinary French/Parisian people and the short bios telling of their heritage and their feelings on being Jewish. My second favorite thing was the 19th c. wooden Austrian Sukkah hut (for the harvest festival) with three colorfully painted interior walls showing a view of Jerusalem, a shield with the first 10 words of the 10 commandments, and a view of an alpine town.

The museum contains illuminated Haggadahs (prayer books), 16th-19th c. marriage contracts, vases and other ceramics, Torah cabinets, 16th-18th c. circumcision implements, incredibly ornate 16th-17th c. wedding rings, paintings, menorahs, wedding clothes, and scale models of 16th-17th c. Polish wooden synagogues".

jrjcolllins Jun 29th, 2008 12:41 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

ira Jun 29th, 2008 02:10 PM

Hi jr,

If you will be in the vicinity of the Rue de Rosiers, look ofr the plaques on many houses in memory of the residents who were deported.

((I))

AnselmAdorne Jun 29th, 2008 03:06 PM

Ira's note just reminded me of the plaques you will find on some schools in Paris. Here is a photo of one on the exterior wall of a school in Village St-Paul, between rue St-Antoine and the Seine:

www.pbase.com/anselmadorne/image/57760621

It is roughly translated as: "To the memory of the pupils of this school who were deported between 1942 and 1944 because they were born as Jews, innocent victims of Nazi barbarism with the active complicity of the Vichy Government. They were exterminated in the death camps. Let us never forget."

If you happen to visit Père Lachaise, there is also a memorial to the deportees in the south-east corner of the cemetery, right beside Le Mur des Fédérés:

www.pbase.com/anselmadorne/image/91521390

Anselm

jrjcolllins Jun 29th, 2008 04:07 PM

Thank you Ira and Anselm.

StCirq Jun 29th, 2008 04:24 PM

There's also a wing of the Musée de l'Armée, on the Boul. de la Tour Maubourg side, that's devoted to the Resistance, which I found fascinating.

tower Jun 29th, 2008 06:55 PM

jrj:

>>>"To the memory of the pupils of this school who were deported between 1942 and 1944 because they were born as Jews, innocent victims of Nazi barbarism with the active complicity of the Vichy Government. They were exterminated in the death camps. Let us never forget."<<<

Similar wording is found on a plaque on a former schoolbuilding behind Marianne's Restaurant on Rue de Rosiers. A number of years ago, we happened onto this building when they were having a very moving memorial service for the 170 children who were deported to the east to their eventual deaths. The name of each and every child was slowly read by an elder of one of the mourning families.

The deportees memorial between Il de Cite and Ile St. Louis, as described by several posters above is a must see.

stu t.