Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Jewelry for Rome, Florence trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/jewelry-for-rome-florence-trip-930438/)

Mutti Apr 5th, 2012 01:43 PM

Jewelry for Rome, Florence trip

My husband and I are leaving in two weeks for a trip to Rome and Florence. While going over my wardrobe with my sister, she was surprised that I am taking-wearing on plane-my 30th anniversary pearl necklace. I told her it would be on me or in the safe at the hotel. I also have a diamond solitaire necklace that I wear for everyday-insured. I've not been to Italy before and just read some of the pickpocket posts, so I'm feeling a little unsure about my jewelry. I am also wondering about leaving something so valuable in a hotel safe. I am a cautious, careful traveler, but can I have some opinions from some travelers who have been to these places before? Thanks, Mutti

BigRuss Apr 5th, 2012 01:50 PM

Keep the stuff you'd hate to lose at home. Why would you bring it other than for your own vanity?

Mutti Apr 5th, 2012 01:53 PM

Not vanity--since this is an anniversary trip and the pearls were an anniversary gift, I thought it would be nice to wear them to show my appreciation to my DH. OTOH, don't want to stress if opinion is they would be too tempting for thieves.

Weadles Apr 5th, 2012 01:54 PM

Don't bring it! Buy some inexpensive jewelry in Rome and Florence. Leave the good stuff at home.

jent103 Apr 5th, 2012 01:59 PM

I wouldn't take either, mostly because I'd be afraid of losing them in an unfamiliar environment where I'm out of my routine. The only jewelry I tend to take is my watch, a ring that is on my finger unless I'm asleep or showering, and an inexpensive pair of go-with-everything earrings. For me, it's not worth the risk.

You could say the same for an iPad or camera or whatever, of course, but a) those are a little harder to fall out of a bag unnoticed, and b) don't have the same sentimental value that your pearl necklace does.

Sassafrass Apr 5th, 2012 02:00 PM

Why do anything that will add to stress or worry when you travel? My personal philosophy: Never take anything on a trip that I would be upset if it is lost. I didn't follow my own advice on our last trip, and spent far too much time making sure I had not lost or misplaced a favorite necklace. Everytime I took it off, I was checking constantly to make sure I knew where I had put it. Just stupid on my part. I vow never to do that again. Buy some good looking , but inexpensive (ok, cheap) pearls. Leave the good ones home. Why tempt theives with a diamond?

StCirq Apr 5th, 2012 02:07 PM

I never, ever travel with good jewelry. It's up to you, of course, but IMO it's a completely unnecessary risk.

Mutti Apr 5th, 2012 02:11 PM

Thanks, all. You have made me reconsider and I'll explain to DH what I was hoping to do and then tell him that I got a cheap substitute--the necklace, not the husband!--for the trip. Why court stress while on vacation? thanks for helping me see the light. Do I have to tell my sister she was right??

StCirq Apr 5th, 2012 02:13 PM

No, you just come home and tell your sister you didn't have any problems with the jewelry (she doesn't have to know WHICH jewelry).

immimi Apr 5th, 2012 02:23 PM

Years ago I left a cherished ring sinkside in an Autogrill.
Did't notice it was missing until that night and many many
miles along the road. Since then I've left anything 'good'
at home and exercised my KISS philosophy. So far I've got
the last S down pat...

deedeedee Apr 5th, 2012 03:04 PM

Make sure you put them somewhere safe in your house while on vacation.

Be a shame to come home & find it GONE ...

raincitygirl Apr 5th, 2012 03:34 PM

I have taken some good jewellery with me on trips to Rome,Paris, Venice and Tuscany. I am very careful and do not take rings off to wash my hands etc.
However, on our next trip we are going to Naples and I think it'll be costume stuff only as it is a bit stressful always being aware of it.

I always put my jewellery in my safe deposit box at the bank when we go away except for the few things that go with me. deedeedee is right, how mad would you be if you were robbed while away?
Last year on my Western Med cruise we were on a bus into Florence and the couple in front of us were on the cell phone dealing with just that. They were from San Francisco and their son had gone over to check their house, and they'd been robbed. She was very upset to learn that all her jewellery (which had been in a safe in the house) was gone, she had a few things with her, but all kinds of heirloom pieces and sentimental things....all gone. Not to mention all the other things the thieves took.
We had to admire this couple, they took the attitude that it wasn't going to spoil their trip and they were really fun.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 5th, 2012 03:44 PM

raincitygirl, thank you for spelling JEWELLERY correctly!!!!!

Why do Americans spell the word j-e-w-e-l-r-y???

That drives me bloody bonkers!

What kind of neighourhoods do you people stay in that you are afraid to wear your good jewellery in Rome or Florence?

I can't see someone nicking your pearl necklace at the de Russie.

Tschuss,
Pepper

rfbk50 Apr 5th, 2012 04:01 PM

You're taking the best keepsake - the man. Leave the jewels at home. You misplace things more easily on vacation because you don't have the same routine as you do at home.

Pepper - putting a u in neighborhood drives me crazy. Just kidding!

raincitygirl Apr 5th, 2012 04:03 PM

Well you are welcome Pepper! Put it down to my Canadian upbringing and British heritage and lots of teachers (mother, granny, aunts) in my life. All sticklers for CORRECT spelling.

denisea Apr 5th, 2012 04:23 PM

Actually, Pepper...jewelry is how it is spelled here (sorry just because it's American doesn't make it wrong) and it is quite acceptable. Surely, you are aware that the British and Americans spell many words differently. Even the Chanel website spells the word according to UK or US customers. If it's good enough for Chanel, then it's good enough for me. It's my understanding that both spellings are used in Canada.

The attitude and CAPS really drives me bloody bonkers.

nytraveler Apr 5th, 2012 04:41 PM

Not a good idea. An engagement ring is usually OK - very hard to get off and unlikely to use. Any other real jewelry should stay at home. I usually take a toy watch and any other jewelry is faux.

This is like getting on the NYC subway in a mink and fou fou diamond necklace - it legal and you can do it if yOU want - but it's just not a great idea. Save those things for a time you won;t be trAveling and are much less likely to lose/forget them - or have them snatched.

As for spelling - there are different ones acceptable in different places. In the US honour or colour will fail a kid on a spelling test - and amongst, betwixt and whilst are classified as archaic forms.

raincitygirl Apr 5th, 2012 04:52 PM

You say tomato, I say tomahto.....how about we spell it joolry then? LOL.

immimi Apr 6th, 2012 11:37 AM

Is it 'knit-pick' or 'nit-pick'? <g>

nytraveler Apr 6th, 2012 11:39 AM

It's nit pick. It doesn;t have anythig to do with knitting - but with people picking bugs (nits - young of some insects) off each other.