Crazy American Tourists?

Search

Crazy American Tourists?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy American Tourists?

What is the craziest thing you have ever seen an American tourist do in Europe?

The crazist American tourist I encountered was recently in the Louvre courtyard in Paris, early in the morning just before the museum ticket office opened.

Walking in the courtyard farthest east a guy comes up running to me asking in a blathery sort of way: "Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa,' whilst weirdly crossing his hands over his legs - he looked like he needed to find a toilet rather than looking for the Mona Lisa.

Obviously a Yank from his speech I said "what about the Mona Lisa?"

He retorted he wanted to know how to get in to see the Mona Lisa - he was in Paris on business and had only a few hours left in town - I explained to him it was in the Louvre and the ticket line was in the next courtyard, which I walked him to, in front of the glass pyramid.

He was now calmed down and I learned he was actually from a town just 15 miles from my home town.

He went on his way to the Mona Lisa and I thought to myself - wow how would have a Parisian to French person reacted to this guy acting like a nut case as if it were life and death to get into see the Mona Lisa?

In retrospect I should have told him the Mona Lisa had been stolen the night before and thus he could not see it or some such bull!

WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE THING ABOUT AMERICAN TOURISTS MAKING FOOLS OF THEMSELVES?

Just curious.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Athens,an American woman in a loud voice yelling " What is that THANG?" at the Parthenon.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Giving a talk outside Notre Dame to a group I was chaperoning, and a guy in close to full American cowboy gear (jeans, hat, boots) comes up and taps me on the shoulder and says "'Scuse me, Miss, you sound like you know yer way around here. So how do I get to the Lawyer Valley?" I said "Well, it's not in Paris, it's about two hours south of here. You'd have to drive or take a train." He strokes his chin and says, "OK, then. I guess we'll have to look into that." I said "Have you read about it? Did someone recommend you go there?" And he said, "Well, I've heard people talk about it, and since I'm a lawyer I figured I'd better check it out."

Even my students' jaws dropped.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Be hard to take the cake over StCirq's experience. Incroyable as the French may say!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM

I watched a wife (girlfriend?) slap her husband in a restaurant in Baden. From New England from the accent.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Enjoyed seeing Richard Simmons passing between San Marco and Rialto in Venice. People would point and say, "It's YOU!" and he would immediately respond by saying, "Yes, and it's YOU!!!" and would greet the family and banter with them as if they were best friends who hadn't seen each other for a whole month.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Shouldn't this be in the Lounge?

Seen worse from Euros in the US and, Euros in Europe and Aussies everywhere.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Tour group in Switzerland at a large dinner table. A man asked for ice. The ice is late coming, he took a knife and started banging on the glass to draw the waiter's attention. His red-faced wife unable to stop his banging.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a Paula Deen show where she went to Paris. It had so many cringe-worthy moments that it makes the ugly American look handsome. Between her southern accent mangled French and her oblivious attitude, it tops any episode of Bizarre Foods for inducing squirms.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM

There was the American golfer at Killarney golf course yelling at the starter that it was crazy that there were no yardage markers in the fairway (like there are on North American courses). "How am I supposed to know how far I am from the gawdam green if you don't have gawdam yardage markers in the fairway? What a fuc%ing joke."

Mind you I have heard worse from Scottish golfers.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Took an organized tour several years back - lots of examples from that, including the woman who insisted the Amalfi coast was "just like Florida" and these other women littering more than once. Also one family kept losing their son, but they were Greek. Worst/best example was woman who touched the c. 5th cent BC carving at the museum in Delphi. A guard saw her and yelled at her. "But there wasn't a sign that said 'do not touch'" she protested.

On a similar note, two women touching the walls all over the Nasrid Palaces at the Alhambra (but they were Scandinavian).

From my first trip to Europe - woman in the Sistine chapel loudly declaring "I don't know, I'm just not crazy about paintings on the ceiling."
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Passing through the lobby of our hotel in Prague, we observed a young couple checking out and preparing to depart. The husband hoisted a backpack-slash-suitcase onto his back. It was the size of a dishwasher, and I thought he was going to collapse under the weight. The wife, carrying nothing, held the door open and asked, "Ready?" I've often wondered how the rest of that trip went...
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM

I think it should be in the lounge and I'm a bit surprised that the topic is focused on Americans. In the past twenty years, I've witnessed just one " crazy American" experience but apparently old stereotypes still exist. Such behavior has little to do with one's nationality and more to with one's attitude,lack of sensitivity or just plain ignorance.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
historytraveler, I agree. One year in a museum in Paris,
There was a French Speaking couple, maybe from Belgium.
They had two of the most obnoxious children I have ever seen in Paris. The parents took their time looking at the paintings and photos, while the two children ran wild, bumping into everyone and worse, lying on the floor of the doorway into the next room where everyone had to step over them.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM

In Palermo two weeks ago, I had the misfortune of dining in a ristorante when a group of eight Americans entered, took their seats, then sang "When the Saints Go Marching In" in loud and not very tuneful voices!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Some really laughing out loud good stories!

Many years ago I was in Rome before Easter, during Easter and after Easter.

Easter is when the tourist season seems to begin. Everything in Rome seems to be very normal before Easter.

I was on a bus sitting in the back when this really heavy-set woman and her thin husband got on board. They were craning their necks every which way, then all of the sudden the woman got up, screamed "Look! Harold!" moved over to peer out the window on the other side of the bus while carelessly smacking several passengers with her suitcase size handbag. She did this several times during the bus ride.

Even sitting in the back, I cringed and thought, "Oh, no! American tourists! I'm not with them!"

A couple of days later on another bus, who should get on board and take the seats across the aisle from mine? Mr and Mrs Harold, of course! This time, her handbag didn't miss my head.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Seeing eel on a market stall - "hey look they eat snake here too!".
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM

While on a Globus tour of Italy....

Ok, everyone except my grandmother and I were from the USA or Canada,

This one couple were very enthusiastic, very outgoing, very vocal, citizens of the USA. It was all fine, they are actually very charismatic, funny people....until.... We attended an Opera in Venice. Yes that's right folks, a prestigious Opera in Venice, in a gorgeous theatre. This lady, sitting pretty much right next to me, (right before the opera began) struck up a discussion with a young lady from our group about the brand of thermal underwear that she wears. Our tour director sat bemused at she began to explain (in a voice loud enough for half the room to hear) all about how "Cuddleduds" are the best thermal underwear in the world, about how they keep her warm while she waits for her husband in bed etc.... I tried to shut down the conversation, but alas....she was not embarrassed to discuss such things in a beautiful Venetian theatre. I sat, trying to ignore (laughing inwardly at our tour director's face) the fact that I was now associated with this discussion....my cheeks displayed my shame, but thankfully, the opera began! Seriously embarrassing.... Do Americans have no shame!
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Such behavior has little to do with one's nationality and more to with one's attitude,lack of sensitivity or just plain ignorance."

I agree with historytraveler. No nationality has the monopoly on ignorance or boorishness. I love reading the stories, but naming the nationalities just leads to a "Well you just hate the (insert nationality here) arguments"

A cringeworthy recollection: We were on a bus in Gozo (Part of Malta). It was quite warm in the bus, and a German couple opened their window. An immaculately dressed, elderly 'Gentleman' with a very upper glass accent came storming up from the back of the vehicle - probably 7 or 8 rows of seats further back, slammed the window shut shouting about F*ing Krauts and how "He hadn't fought for 5 years against Nazis so they could do what they pleased on buses"

I think he may have had mental issues - genuinely deranged rather than "crazy" in the sense of this thread.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 04:22 AM

Several years ago on an organised bus tour, a Canadia filming the Eiffel Tower on her video camera asked other passengers 'So what country are we in?'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -