Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Jersey Islands - Travel and Hotel Question

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Planning trip to London and Paris for late June - would like to break up the two with some time at the beach so we are considering Jersey. How is the best way transportation wise to do this? Fly London/Jersey/Paris, Fly London/Jersey/London and then chunnel to Paris?, Train to south of England, then ferry to island and then Ferry to France with train to Paris? Help please . . .

Also as we will be staying in London and Paris with reward points we are looking for a nice splurge in the hotel department. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:37 PM

Will you be returning to London from Paris?

Keith
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Hello Keith - I have an open jaw flight reserved (althought not yet ticketed) which will allow me to leave from Paris. Any help is appreciated!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:44 AM

18 months ago, seats on British Airways airplanes on this route were EXTREMELY cramped.

http://www.flybe.com has some great airfares between London and Jersey. I flew with them when they were still British European and was much happier than with BA.

No one has direct flights from Jersey to Paris, and flying that direction is pricy.

I really enjoyed the ferry to Saint-Malo and would be tempted to go that route and on to Paris by land. Be sure to make a reservation. I didn't and had to go on a waiting list. Though that was a holiday weekend.

Keith
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Went to bookstore today looking for info on the Channel Islands - VERY limited. Am I crazy for considering this? Studying the land route on the France side to see how fun it could be. Thanks again - Cathryn
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Try Insight Guide Channel Islands.

Also, if you go to Amazon.com and search on Channel Islands, the new Search Inside The Book feature will let you read the sections devoted to the Channel Islands (and other attractions) in various guides. You can read up to about one quarter of amany guides online for free.

Have fun!

Keith
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you VERY MUCH! Finally got a chance to check out your info and I am very excited. Appreciate your time - Cathryn
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 04:09 AM
jmw

From time to time I've read good things about the Channel islands, but cannot recall a single specific source. I'll be very interested in your impressions upon your return! J.

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:03 AM

fyi
The British tourist authority in the US (I think it's visitbritain.com but there are many similar websites) has an excellent brochure on the Channel Islands.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Hi there Cathryn

I come from Guernsey, the second largest of the Channel Islands, though I now live in London. If you are thinking of going to the Channel Islands in the summer I would definitely consider Guernsey rather than Jersey - for the simple reason that from Guernsey it is very easy to take day trips to the smaller islands of Sark and Herm, just across the bay. They are both incredibly beautiful and unique - particularly Sark, which is the world's last surviving feudal state! (It is run by the Seigneur). There are no cars allowed. You have to either go by foot, bicycle, or by horse. I adore Sark and I guarantee you will never find another place like it anywhere in the world. Oh and Guernsey is pretty cool too! It always makes me think of how England must have been 50 years ago. There are fabulous beaches, cliffs and countryside and the culture is a very unique blend of English and Norman French.

This is the Sark website

sark-tourism.com

The Guernsey tourist board also have a website at guernseytouristboard.com

The local directory and web engine can be found on spidercrab.net

The easiest way to get to Guernsey and Jersey is, as someone suggested, via British European from Gatwick. Aurigny fly from Stansted, and I think BA also fly from Gatwick, though as I only fly BE these days I no longer know. From France Aurigny fly from Dinard. Just look up their website. Otherwise you can get a boat from St Malo with Emeraude (sp?) Lines or Condor - or at least you could a few years ago.

Hope this helps!

Caroline
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Sylvia

>It always makes me think of how >England must have been 50 years ago.

Yes indeed. When we were there an incomer said, "Have you noticed that people leave babies in their prams outside shops?"
I love the low speed limits too. Sark and Herm are well worth a visit. Didn't Herm win an award in "Britain in Bloom"?

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for info. I looked at flights and they seem quite reasonable. When you post something and there is little to no feedback you wonder - is this going to be the coolest and most uncrowded thing ever or am I an idiot? I guess I'll have to go see!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:43 AM
jmw

I'm reading "A Place of Hiding" by Elizabeth George, set on Guernsey. (Did I hear "who cares?" Well maybe.) J.