Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris parks for kids - Tuileries/Luxembourg/Villette, etc.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Planning on building in some park time for our upcoming trip to Paris with our two kids (ages 6 & 8).

We plan to visit the Jardin des Tuileries for sure. Not sure about Jardin du Luxembourg (heard there is a nice play structure and coffee area). And, maybe EITHER the Parc Villette (the architectural structures with various mazes/gardens sound neat) OR the Jardin d'acclimatation.

Can anyone adivse as to which park they would pick given my kids' ages? Is Jardin d'acclimatation mostly kiddie rides? My husband and I are interested in architecture so I am leaning towards the Parc Villette (which still sounds like fun for kids). And is Jardin du Luxembourg a must-see?

Any recommendations for grabbing lunch in these places? Are the cafes around the Tuileries any good? Are we better off buying a crepe from a street cart? Or grabbing jambon baguettes from a nearby boulangerie?

Merci a l'avance!

Lisa
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:55 AM

Of all of those, I'd skip the Tuileries, but given its in the center, you'll probably be around it at some time or another. i would never carve out special time to go there for the kids, it is mainly a formal park for looks as far as I'm concerned. Now it is true in the summer they have a ferris wheel, but I just don't find the Tuileries very attractive as a place to hang out. No, I don't think of any great places to eat around it, nor great cafes. There will be some carts selling junk food in it, as I recall, nothing I'd call a meal. I don't remember anything but candy or drinks, but wouldn't ever eat that kind of junk anyway, so maybe didn't pay attention.

I think the Luxembourg Gardens are more attractive as a place to hang out. NOt sure what you mean about coffee place, if you mean in the gardens itself. There are some cafes or ice cream shops right nearby it towards rue Soufflot or on rue de Medicis. Not to mention McDonalds or Quick (fast food). here are lots of places to buy something to eat around there, on the east side. Jardin d'Acclimation is more of a destination with rides, some activities (ie, funny mirrors, boat ride down a small canal), pony rides, animals, etc., it isn't just a park as much as the others, especially Tuileries. I"ve seen kids there your age and older, and younger. YOu can check it out http://www.jardindacclimatation.fr/ It probably seems a little old-fashioned to today's children. Maybe this is a good description http://goparis.about.com/od/parisfor...k-In-Paris.htm

Of course, it is harder to get to, I mainly went by it on the way to Bois de Boulgogne.

There is a nice little park for children near the Marmottan museum, actually, and pony rides there, also.

I haven't been to Villette so can't comment on that, but I'd rate Luxembourg over Tuileries. Actually, I have been there to that complex as a whole, to the music museum. I think of it as a destination for a cultural center, they have concerts, open-air films, and lots of open park areas and play areas for children. I guess they have the Science museum out there which I haven't been to, you can go to taht kind of thing in any major city.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:05 AM

It's a little out of the way, but consider the Parc des Buttes Chaumont

http://www.pps.org/great_public_spac...=366&type_id=1

And yes, Luxembourg rather than Tuileries.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM

Here's info on Luxembourg focused on kids. It would be my first choice.

http://www.luckylittletravelers.com/...rg-garden.html
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Okay, bumping Tuileries for Luxembourg. i couldn't figure out if there was something special about Le Jardin d'acclimatation. Re: Villette - it seemed like a neat park for the kids with some interesting architectural details. And yes, we were not planning on visiting the science centre (although I had heard it was excellent because it didn't seem particularly "Parisian").

Menachem: Would you go to Parc des Buttes Chaumont over Parc de la Villette?

THX.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Edited to add: I think one of the reasons I had Tuileries down was because you could rent sailboats for the kids (?). And I noted two cafes for lunch (Cafe Renard or Les Medicis).

Merci!
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM

I was recently there with a 2 and 8 year old. Luxembourg was the #1 on my list, but believe it or not, we never made it there. There are so many little parks/playgrounds around, imo, that you won't have to go far to find a place to run around/climb up and down. In addition, my kids (the 2 y.o. esp) loved all the carousels around town. You will most likely find yourself at Tuileries, so don't fight it We also went to the Zoo/Jardin des Plantes.

I also considered both la Villette and Jardin l'acclimation, but we just ran out of town. We were there for a week!
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Definitely Luxembourg Gardens, we took 2 9 year olds and they had a ball! Even my 12 year old decided to try out the playground, great fun for all especially on the flying fox!
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Unlike other responders, I vote yes for Tullieries if you are there in the summer. I combine trips to the Louvre or the Orangerie with stops in the Tulleries for the rides there. In the summer, what looks like a traveling amusement park sets up there and my son who is now 7 has loved it since he was 4. We sit and have drinks while his much older siblings or cousins take him through the rides. It looks just like those traveling carnivals that pop up in towns in the US, except with better food and drinks, so if you hate those types of carnivals, then don't bother. Luxembourg is also a great choice and would be my first choice for play as in running around and climbing on play structures.nnTo me it is most like a US park with play structures and benches and all my children love it. It is a great place to play and for your children to play near and possibly meet French children. We go there for more of a park and less of an amusement park experience. Be prepared though if you are from a large American city, the structures have some areas that we no longer have in my home town because people were worried about children falling off and getting hurt. Jardin d'Acclimation is basically an amusement park for little ones. I am bored silly when I am there but my son loves it. We have only been to Parc Villette once and the weather turned overcast and cold so we are planning on visiting it again on our annual trip this summer.
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM

The area around La Vilette seemed a bit grungy. I'm not sure it's worth a visit, though you're right, there are some interesting weird architectural structures around.
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
cw

Jacobins, the toy sailboat rental for kids is at the Jardin du Luxembourg not at the Tuileries.
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
cw

Sorry--jacolis. Darn auto-correct.
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Coincidentally, another poster posted a link in another thread about a city break in Paris with kids from The Guardian:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-to-paris.cfm

The author also recommended the Jardin du Luxembourg (and a little-known cafe nearby called La Bonbonniere de Marie). I am adding the link to my trip planner.

We are going to drop La Villette and Jardin d'acclimatation. We will take up the suggestion to visit Montmartre and Parc Buttes-Chaumont.

Merci!

PS CW that auto-correct is too funny. I guess it figures that my name got changed to be associated with the French revolution on this thread!!
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Of the parks of Paris, children would absolutely prefer La Villette for its incredible selection of activities -- the giant dragon slide, the adventure playgrounds, the submarine, the submerged bicycle, the echo discs and speaking tubes, the bamboo forest, and the vast prairies to run around, just to name a few of the attractions.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't want a child to be at an amusement park in Paris,
but simply be with nature and a few activities like the rental sail boats and the puppet shows.
These are things they will never experience at home.
We have all kinds of rides and ferris wheels in the USA
These are something different..
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Cw, there is a sailboat rental at the Tuileries as well as at the Luxembourg.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM
cw

Thanks grandmere. I had only seen them at Luxembourg.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM

Menachem: Would you go to Parc des Buttes Chaumont over Parc de la Villette?

Answer: yes. When my son was younger, we only used to go there because there is a skatepark nearby, but we always loved Buttes des Chaumont for its fairytale atmosphere. It's also got the rental boats, and those are nicer imo than at Luxembourg. Buttes des Chaumont can be explored, Luxembourg is far more formal.

have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wbihWoSMM
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM

Buttes Chaumont - hasty typing
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Coincidentally, there was an article in my paper's weekend travel supplement with some suggestions OP might find useful:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...amily-friendly

If your French is up to it, here's the official website on Paris parks and gardens, including children's activities:
http://www.paris.fr/pratique/paris-a...-squares/p4952
map:
http://parcsetjardins.equipement.paris.fr/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -