Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Jason, Can you give us an update on the flooding?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Susan

Jason, we haven't heard from you and hope you are safe. Please give us an update when you are able. Our hearts go out to all of the Czech people in this terrible tragedy.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
ttt

topping

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:51 AM
kampa

The Na Kampa area is totally off limits and all businesses there are flooded. Tourists are helping locals fit sandbags to attempt to save the Stare Mesto -old square.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
up

up

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:34 AM
jason

A message for me! thanks Susan.

Well that new mop certainly came in handy. Chaotic last week or so but, things are settling down. Facts are as follows.

Old Town was not flooded.
New Town was partially flooded on the Na Porici/Florenc border and also flooded the Masarykovo train station. Main Train station was not flooded.
Prague 8 Florenc/Karlin is almost a disaster area with many buildings structurally unsafe an residents ar still barred from returning.

Mala Strana is generally OK except for Kampa. Anything with a "Na Kampe" address was flooded to at least the first floor. This also includes ground floor flooding at Residence Lundborg and U Pava. Authorities advising people to stay away for a few weeks whilst contaminated meat and sewage etc is cleaned from the area.

There is a list of affected hotels at http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/index.html

Transport

It was free but as of this monday it will return to normal. Trams (except for Prague 8) are running a pretty normal schedule but are frequently packed. Metro is 60% closed with Florenc and other P8 stations closed for the rest of the year. Lots of temporary buses running to get people in and out of town. Because of car restrictions in the centre, the ring road is really bad after 8am with delays of 2 hours being the norm. Trains going west and south are subject to delays due to railway work.

But the sun still shines.

Jason

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Julie

Jason, thanks for the helpful update. Glad you are apparently safe and in good spirits. Take heart.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Sylvia

TTT

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Rex

Jason,

Just asking your personal opinion, not any official party line. Is the return of tourists to CR good for the country? or too soon?

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
mile

Jason: i'll be in Prague the 9th of sept. tell me something has the Charles
bridge open yet? and what happen to the
jewish quarter and cementary. Is it po-
sible to go and visit the quarter?
thanks.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 12:20 PM
jason

In answer to the last question, though I have not been across it myself, friends of mine say the Charles Bridge is open but, with the access to Kampa closed. The Jewish quarter was not flooded.

In answer to a previous question, businesses in the Old Town are booming as word got around that it was safe to stay there. The transport situation is not great and the Kampa area and parks will not be open for business for some time. Many attractions are affected in this area and there's a "whiff" in the air. As such, from a neutral point of view I would put off any visit until the spring or expect to be limited to the royal road and exposed to all the chemicals being used during the clean up.

Jason