Notices

January in Portugal-Where to go?

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 08:12 PM
Nancy

January in Portugal-Where to go?

Looks like I may get to go to Portugal for 4 or 5 days in mid-January. What's the weather like at that time? Any suggestions on what to see in only a few days or where to stay? Thanks for your help!

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Monica Richards

With only 4 or 5 days in Portugal, I would go to Lisbon and the surrounding areas, especially Sintra. There's plenty there to keep you busy! Not sure what the weather would be like, but even if it's raining you will have a great time.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 02:25 AM
Cristina

Despite the great weather of Portugal, there are rainy days, mainly from november to february. It does not mean intensive rain everyday, but you should bring your umbrella, although you might be lucky and find a sunny week...
Find information at the national tourism board site www.portugalinsite.pt
or ask at our local office in your country, find adress at - www.icep.pt

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 05:32 PM
Betty Ann

Nancy, We have stayed at Hotel Metropole on Rossio Square - about $100/night. GREAT location, you can walk to so many places. You might want to do a search on *trolley car #28*. You'll find my post from Dec '98 on what to do in Lisbon for four days. BTW, the hotel is very quiet (our room was on the third floor overlooking the square) and the front desk staff is very helpful. Enjoy!

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 03:42 PM
Susan Evans

Nancy:
We just got back from 2 weeks in Portugal (Lisbon & nearby towns). We got really volatile weather: sometimes heavy rain in the same day as lots of sunshine. 'Don't know about Jan. weather (except it doesn't snow in Lisbon).
I would urge a visit to nearby Sintra - especially Pena Palace. In Lisbon, we enjoyed the monastery & cultural art center in the Belem district (& a great naval museum with explanations in English), the castelo in the Alfama district (there is a fado museum too), & the National Museum of Antigue Art (1 of its buildings -modern - is lovely) in the Lapa district, & the Gulbenkian Modern Art Museum. Their best museum, the Gulbenkian, is closed for 6 months renovation, to our great disappointment.
We stayed at the Best Western Eduardo VII just off the Avenida near the Pombal circle (lots of noisy traffic but we had double paned windows). Our last few days, we stayed at the Britannia on a quiet side street off thee Avenida. (A lovely hotel but not cheap. 3 star but would be 4 if it had a restaurant.)
The main tourist bureau on the Avenida Liberdade is quite helpful.
Have a great trip!