Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Janis/UK itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/janis-uk-itinerary-356469/)

Ljyoung Sep 9th, 2003 12:27 AM

Janis/UK itinerary

OK Janis: What do you think of the idea of saving a bit of time and flyng into Scotland and:

Highlands ( 3 nights )
Durham ( 2 )
Lake District ( 2 )
N. Wales ( 2 )
Cotswolds ( 2 )
Bath/Wells ( 2 )
London ( 3 )
I have to work in Scotland as my husband's mother hailed from there and as she has passed on, he has a real interest in returning to his roots. Not to mention, when I toured Gteat Britain in 1982 I loved Scotland and always looked forward to a return. If you're out there, let me know what you think. As before, thank you.....L.

janis Sep 9th, 2003 07:31 AM

Well others will have ideas too - but this is MUCH better. Flying into Scotland and out of London will give you a lot more time w/o having to drive all the way up country and then back south again.

The only minor change I might make is cut Bath/Wells to one night and add one night to London. Even 4 nights barely scratches the surface. In a day and a half you would have enough time to see Bath and Wells/Glastonbury. And the extra day in London will let you see more w/o having to rush so much.

Dave_ Sep 9th, 2003 08:56 AM

I haven't followed any previous discussion on this but to me it does seem like too may stops. I would at least cut out Bath/Wells altogether and add your two nights elsewhere (maybe both in London but it obviously depends on your preferences).

You will be doing a fair bit of travelling and I often think that two nights anywhere only gives you one full day which isn't much time to explore and get a real feel for a place.

Other than that, I think it looks like a good set of places to go to.

janis Sep 9th, 2003 10:56 AM

Dave: you are right, this is a lot of traveling - but it is half what they were originally planning: Lyme Regis through N. Wales and the Lakes to Oban and back down through Durham and the Cotswolds to London. They've already cut out a few places and are staying a couple of nights each place along the way. This is sooooooo much better than that itinerary.

And - except for the day from the Highlands down to Durham - none of the travel days are very long, two hours tops.

Not ideal perhaps - but pretty good for the places they want/need to see.

Ljyoung Sep 11th, 2003 09:20 AM

Hello janis and dave: thanks for your feedback. I've had the pleasure of visiting Great Britain on two past occasions. My immediate family has never been. My visits previously have included London, Portsmouth, Brighton, Salisbury, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Inverness. With my family, I am interseted in seeing some things I have not seen as well as give them a broad taste of GB - we can then look to return and focus our time in a fewer # of locals - places we all really gravitated towards. That's kind of the plan. Again, thanks much for all of the comments. They have truly helped me to improve upon my previous plans.