Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Jacket & Tie required at Al 34?? Please say it isn't so!

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to all the rave reviews (and the fact it seems to be one of the few restaurants open on Sundays) we were hoping to give Al 34 a try. But, I was reading a review in the NYTimes & it stated that a jacket & tie are required. Is that a fact?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:44 PM

Well I can say it isn't true but truthfully I don't even know where this restaurant is. Which country and which city? I would think that if the restaurant review stated a jacket and tie were required than a jacket and tie is required. More information would help and also have you gone onto Google and typed in the name of this restaurant along with the city and country to see if the restaurant has a website. That might give you more accurate information. Best wishes.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM

If you mean the one in Rome, you should check out the reviews herein under "Restaurants". The rants seems to way outnumber the raves...

I don't understand why a jacket and tie would be a problem? A tie takes up no room in the suitcase and a jacket is handy to have along anyway. And, at more elegant dining establishments, wouldn't you want to present yourselves more elegantly? I know my husband just looks "nicer" when dressed in a tie and jacket. And, he knows the results of wearing same will be far more than just fine dining.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:54 PM

Interesting post! I tried AI34 (ie. Air India Flight 34) last Sunday. I can report that there was the usual mixture of sarees and jeans on board. Dress code seemed just the same relaxed mix as on any other longhaul flight.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM

Hi djkbooks, ROTFL, I understand exactly what you said!!! There is nothing like a well dressed elegant man! CinCin!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:09 AM

Well, gee,no problem with wrinkles, "Aunt Ida" , if you take a microfiber jacket--or even a silk blend. My husband just wears his blazer as his daily jacket, rather than something like your ever popular plastic poncho.
To the original poster, would your husband go to an elegant restaurant in San Francisco or New York without a jacket?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM

I tried slacks and a jacket made out of that microfiber junk. It didn't crease and wrinkle as easily, but when it did, it was a total disaster. It was very hot, too--like wearing plastic. Never again.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:42 AM

Rufus, there is microfiber and then there is microfiber. Of course, we all know that microfiber is just a new generation of the much maligned "polyester". I bought a pair of micofiber slacks that were indeed heavy and didn't seem to breathe. But now I have two other pairs that are light as a feather and very, very comfortable. They look like a million bucks when I take them out of the suitcase.

I agree with the theory that a blazer makes a perfect "jacket" to take along. First of all I always fly with mine to ward off the freezing AC of airports and airplanes. They'll even hang in for me in the plane if I don't want it. And please, how much room or weight does a tie take?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

Wore my microfiber slacks to a funeral this week in 90* heat. No problem. Get the good stuff.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM

Such ugliness, AuntIda. Why not just post your vitriole under your usual snobby moniker?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:08 AM

There is no need to "press" any jacket. If it becomes wrinkled just hang it in the bath with the hot water running - any wrinkles disappear in a few minutes. (The lengths and excuses some men will go to not to have to look halfway decent!)

If you're going on a hiking holiday fine. But why a jacket in an elegnt restaurant is such a chore (but then I think most that protest really would prefer pizza and TV anyway).