Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ivitaly re: Palazzo de Olivia apartments (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ivitaly-re-palazzo-de-olivia-apartments-376079/)

Livette Nov 13th, 2003 01:12 PM

Ivitaly re: Palazzo de Olivia apartments

Hi there,

They e-mailed me back and said the rate would be 180 Euros and I'm debating if I should rent or not. Is it really worth that much? The other one in Campo di Fiori was about 50 Euro less but I've read such rave reviews on the Olivia.

Help me decide here. I need some convincing :-).

Linda

ecat Nov 13th, 2003 02:07 PM

Livette, You're right there have been good things mentioned about Olivia apartments, can you send a link of the Campo one so we can see a comparison of the two? Is there anything other than the price differance that hold you back from Olivia or Campo Dei Fiori?

Thanks, Eileen

Livette Nov 13th, 2003 02:49 PM

Hi Eileen,

Here is the link to the apt. in Campo Dei Fiori http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_campo.html

Honestly, price is a big factor here. However, I want to stay in good place being it's our first trip to Italy. I'm torn. What if the one in Campo is a dump. I text searched it here but didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Linda

ecat Nov 13th, 2003 03:04 PM

Hi, Linda

I just looked at the link. IMHO as much as I rave about Sleep In Italy I think the Olivia would be worth the extra 50 Euros.

I don't thinks the Campo is a dump but it does not look as nice as the other one and Campo's is on the 4th floor no lift.

Just depends on what you're after really - both apartments are in very central areas, almost right across the street from each other so that's not really an issue.

Hope this helps!

Eileen

Livette Nov 13th, 2003 03:11 PM

Eileen,

Thanks for the input. You know I have to say the no lift was a big turnoff because of my parents. However, the terrace was appealing and almost canceled out the no lift issue. But then again I found no reviews here on this place and tons on the Olivia.

I really want to start of the trip on a good note so I just may go with the Olivia.

Thanks again :-).

Linda

p.s. Watch me e-mail them back and then find out the apartment I want is booked!

lvitaly Nov 13th, 2003 03:32 PM

Hi Livette-Wow!What a loaded question! I know the Campo Di Fiori area gets rave reviews for the location as well.
I think like Eillen said, look at the comparisons first.Is it a company of some sort you are renting from? Most people have pleasant experiences from that but as one thread that was going around here on Fodors said they had a negative experience from it.They did not get the place that was offered to them. This can make or break a vacation for some. You have to take that into consideration if you are the type of person that lets it roll off your back so to speak, or would it upset you? For me, i made the decision to go with Palazzo Olivia not only for location but the service i was getting from them first thrue e- mails. I hade alot of questions and i e-mailed them to death!I liked that they responded in a timely manor.I was also arriving in Rome by myself at first and i liked the idea of them handling the airport pick up for me. They also had no problem with me arriving at 11pm at night.I just knew i would be well taken care of and that was also thrue the trust of so much positive feedback on other forums as well as this one. When my parents arrived the next day they wereequally impressed with the apartment as well as the location. The apartment itself is simple but charming. I felt so comfortable and safe there. We drove the owner Stefano probably crazy with questions, directions etc. He has a lot of patience and is there for anything you need.When the big blackout occured through Rome he came by the apartment in the morning and apologized for not having electricity. As if it was his fault!When we left Sicily and forgot to arrainge pickup to bring us back to Rome for our last night before departing we called Stefano to help us.He arrainged the pickup and we were not even returning to Pallazzo Olivia!My point in all of this is you have to weigh the security of who you are renting from.Is it important to you? Is it worth the extra money? For me yes - you i dunno!!! I would return to Pallazzo Olivia in a heartbeat and never look back.I think the personal touch does it for me.Take a deep breath and look at all of your options.

lvitaly Nov 13th, 2003 03:50 PM

Livette- In the picture for Sleep in Italy it looks as if the bed is in the same room(living room) as the couch/bed.If that is true would you want to do that? Palazzo Olivia apt. has a separate bedroom actually away from the living room were the couch/bed is. Just wanted to point that out.For me i liked the privacy for night time. Did not have to listen to BOTH parents snore:)

ecat Nov 13th, 2003 03:58 PM

ok just to add more to the mix :) check this one out http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_panico.html

I have stayed here before and loved it! And Igor the owenr is very nice. Since you have your folks with you this one may be nice, it's central yet very quiet. Also to consider Campo Dei Fiori is a pretty young croud at night, very fun but can be loud.

All for now..

Barb Nov 13th, 2003 04:04 PM

I'm considering Panico too, where exactly is it located? How far from P. Navano? How many beds does it have?

ecat Nov 13th, 2003 04:58 PM

Hi Barb,
I think it's 38 Via Panico you can check the street at www.mappy.com

It's about a 10 min walk to Pizza Navona and a 10 min walk to the Vatican just across the Castel St. Angelo Bridge.

It has 2 br 1 is enclosed 1 is a open loft. Both rooms had 2 twin bed pushed together for a double.

Livette Nov 13th, 2003 08:07 PM

Ok I finally decided to go with Palazzo de Olivia e-mailed them and am waiting for a response. Ivitaly, after reading your detailed experience with the service they provided it's hard to look any other way? That is exactly what we are looking for to start our dream trip. Really, I can't thank you enough for all the feedback.

Elaine, I did check out that apt. you recommended but after some debate I finally chose the Olivia.

Boy this was a stressful decision! :-) I've almost finalized my apt. choice for Venice (Palazzeto da Schio) so now that leaves Florence. I can't wait to get the accomodations set so I can move on to really structuring my itinerary.

Thanks all for you help.

Good night,
Linda

ecat Nov 13th, 2003 09:19 PM

Linda, Good job! I know it can be stressful trying to choose something without seeing it. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the Olivia. Let us know!

Eileen

Patrick Nov 14th, 2003 05:40 AM

I remember also looking at that Campo Fiori apartment when I was trying to find a place through sleepinitaly.
I immediately eliminated it for the following reasons:

It is not what we call a fourth floor. Don't forget that is actually what we'd call a fifth floor with no elevator! Now that's a hike up and down, especially if you pop in and out a lot like I tend to do.

I didn't like the bed being completely against a wall in the bedroom. One person has to climb over the other to get in and out.

I didn't like the idea of no shower, only a hand held shower with no place to "hang" it on the wall for a proper shower.

Although others have commented on the "IKEA" furniture in the Palazzo de Olivia apts., this furniture looks really cheap and awful. And it does have one of those futons for the only real seating in the living room -- I find them horribly uncomfortable as a place to sit and watch TV or read. The other furniture is what I always think looks like really cheap college-dorm-this-will-get-us-by stuff. The place doesn't appear to have even an ounce of charm.

I also have booked Palazzo de Olivia for early June.

lvitaly Nov 14th, 2003 06:22 AM

Good chioce my Fodors friend:) You will be satisfied.As Patrick just pointed out in the previous thread the no lift thing is not good. Old buildings can sometimes have more than unsafe stairs and going up and down several times a day can become difficult. Infact at Pallazzo Olivia their stairs are spiral,a little dark and a little slippery due to the old stone. Be carefull if you decided to use them.I slipped and fell on my hands and knees (missed the last step). It was real dark from the blackout. I did not see the last step:( I made sure my parents did not use them.Also, if you do get it, and you are interested in taking a city tour, there is a company called Green Line Tours that has a bus stop on the main street right around the corner of the apt.It is one of those tour buses that you can hop on and off all day long if you decide to want to visit something. You can also stay on it and just take a tour of the city to familiarize yourself with the city.

Livette Nov 14th, 2003 12:36 PM

Ivitaly,

I have a problem with the method Palazzo wants their deposit. They want a wire transfer and honestly I am not comfortable doing that. I would much rather pay with credit card and she said no. I think I remember reading that Patrick paid his deposit with credit card?

I-mailed her back and said either credit card or no deal :-(. Shoot! I was really excited about this place too but I will not do a wire for a deposit. I feel more at ease using my credit card and having full record of it.

We'll see what she responds.

Linda

Patrick Nov 14th, 2003 12:59 PM

Yes, that is weird. I emailed asking if I could sent traveler's checks instead of the wire transfer. I told them I live in a small town and a wire transfer is both difficult and expensive (true). But they emailed me back saying I could do the deposit on a credit card which I did.

4Janet Nov 14th, 2003 02:28 PM

I too am staying at Palazzo Olivia in May 2004. I have read nothhing but great reviews of this place especially on the SlowTrav site. This had always been my first choice because of the lift, the location and have heard great things about how helpful Stefano is. Also about how clean the apartments are. I have never been to Italy and am really anxious. I like being close to shops and restaurants as I don't plan on cooking. Have a great time.

Janet

lvitaly Nov 14th, 2003 03:09 PM

unfortunatly i dont know what to tell you and i dont understand. In my situation i requested the apt. around mid-Sept. and was to occupy it on Sept.25. They happen to have a cancellation so i got lucky. Not much time in between for a wire transfer and to tell you the truth i never knew anything about that untill i think i read it sometime back on Patricks post.All i had to do is sign a contract she( Carla) e- mailed me . (Are you working with Carla?)I then faxed it back. They also asked for a credit card # to hold it.No charge to hold it.But then again the timing was a few weeks away as opposed to close to a year. I dont understand at all. Is there anything on there website that says they need a wire transfer? Is this something new?May i ask how much do they request and if you cancelled do they refund?What a dissapointment.For how nice they are and treat you i am perplexed.

Patrick Nov 14th, 2003 04:14 PM

This thread got me to thinking earlier today. It was 9/10 when I emailed my credit card number for the 30% deposit, which was acknowledged the next day and reservation confirmed. But I just checked my last two Master Card statements including the one that came today and nothing has ever been charged. I just emailed Palazzo Olivia again making sure everything is OK with the reservation. Maybe like Ivitaly says, it is just to hold the apartment, but I had the impression they were going to charge the deposit to my card.

lvitaly Nov 14th, 2003 04:57 PM

Patrick- Since you seem to be well traveled, is it customary in Europe or anywhere for that matter to ask for an up front fee or deposit so far in advanced? (I hope i dont get slammed for a potentionally dumb question!) Their asking/and or policy of a wire transfer for 30%of upfront fees so far ahead of time seems absurd.