Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I've done a Search, But Looking for Info on 3 Florence Hotels

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
nancy

Would anyone have any info on the following?
Hotel Ritz-
On the Arno, no info here on Fodors.

La Scaletta- Any updated info?
I've read all the past posts on this hotel

Hotel Principe- also along the Arno.

Appreciate any new info.
Thank you very much.

Aug 24th, 2002, 10:30 AM
JBX

Nancy,
Have you checked for comments on this the Trip Advisor? www.tripadvisor.com I don't read them frequently enough to gauge the value of the feedback; did notice there is a vigorous thumbs down opinion posted on that site about the Hotel Ritz. Described their one night stay as "Ritz is the pitts" and suggested that other choices on the Arno would be better.

Aug 24th, 2002, 11:52 AM
nancy

JBX- thanks much.
Will check into the site you mentioned.

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Judi

Hi Nancy,
We stayed at the Ritz last November (the price had dropped to around $100 including breakfast) and at the price it was a good deal. We had a lovely room with a balcony and we had pleasant conversations with the evening manager; the hotel was pretty empty. It is a bit away from the city center but not far. If I were traveling alone I think it would be too far a walk, however.

I was in Florence in June alone and stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco which has a better location and is a great little hotel.

I can't help you on the other two hotels.

Have fun in Florence!

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Cheryl

We had a horrible experience several years ago at the Scaletta...The beds were horrible, we had to wal hrough what lookied like several 'private' rooms with laundry scattered all over, and the final indignity was when we were screamed at for staying out too late and waking the owner's son! The only redeemable thing is the view from the rooftop, but honestly you can fnd that everywhere in Florence!
The hotel Principe is nice, but needs a renovation..musty and dark. I know nothing about the Ritz.
We stayed at the Lugarno last trip and this trip we found a small new renovated hotel on the Villa Tornabuoni that is called Antica Tornabuoni...the hotel is in an old tower with the hotel rooms on the 4th and 5th floors. Relatively speaking, the rooms aren't that expensive. We found this and other interesting hotels on the charmingtuscany.com website.
Good Luck

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:55 PM
carla

I'd like to stay in Florence some time next year-hopefully-and I've begun emailing several hotels there. The one that I may consider is Il Guelfo Bianco partly because the staff seems pretty easy to communicate with and the rates they offer are reasonable enough. I am interested in their annexed rooms which are in what used to be another hotel nearby and it's called the Cristallo.

If not Il Guelfo Bianco I'd choose the Loggiato dei Serviti Hotel which also has a good location and offers reasonable rates.

As for one of your choices, La Scalletta, I've read that the only good thing about it is the location. Other than that it's very old-fashioned without much upgrades for which management is unapologetic about. Plus it has what seems like unending hallways. Therefore, what the previous poster mentioned is true.

Sorry, but I haven't heard about the Ritz nor the Principe.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Sherri

Dear Nancy;
I stayed at the Pricipe a few years ago and thought it was a nice room for the money; I don't think it was more then $150 I was in Florence in late Oct. If you want to see photo's log onto www.florenceby.com I think it's under 4 star hotels.
Good luck
la dolce Italto the top for Nancy

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:12 PM
nancy

thenks guys,
your input is very helpful !
One thing I think is important in hotel choice,
Besides a comfy bed
is how the staff treats it's clients!
I like friendly and helpful-
and will put up with a slightly
lower than usual (standards ) in a hotel as long as the people I have to deal with are nice.

I will look into the others you have suggested.
and yes, Judy,
I will have ablast in Florence.
It will be the beginning of a 50th B-day celebration trip for myself,
that I will be taking with my 2 children (teens)
and a friend.

Sherri- I LOVE your name!!!!!