Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

It's time to play which airline has the best and worst flights to Europe so far this Summer!

It's time to play which airline has the best and worst flights to Europe so far this Summer!

May 14th, 2001, 07:52 PM
TheQuizzer

This will be a good update from those of us who have traveled so far to those of you who are planning!

May 14th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Bill S.

Just returned from a round trip to Zurich with Delta... both flights left on time, movies were good, food going over was terrible, and food on the return was very good. Saw a lot of teed-off Lufthansa customers in Zurich when their pilots decided to take the day off.

May 14th, 2001, 08:15 PM
richardab

I know people will disagree but...

Thumbs up - LUFTHANSA from Los Angeles to Frankfurt. The flight attendants were friendly than usual, the food was better than usual (but not great), arrivals were on-time and no one yelled at me! My inter-Europe connections were also OK, but the food was horrible. Lufthansa is also very efficient in boarding the aircraft. I hate to brag (brag brag) but I have Star Alliance Gold status and Lufthansa's treatment of me was nothing but respectful offering quick check in and complimentary use of lounges (even though I was book in coach class). This is great since I acquired that status on United.

Thumbs down - UNITED. Sorry. I am a dedicated Frequent Flyer and usually like United flights. My flight from Munich to Washington DC was disorganized and the food was gross. I think they are using Lufthansa chefs. Actually, in case you didn't know, United uses "Skychefs" in the USA and Europe which is owned by Lufthansa. The United flight was comfortable thanks to that extra leg room in Economy Plus but the flight attendant had a little too much attitude. The videos weren't working well and the flight attandant told me to write a letter because complaining to her had little effect since she was one of the "little people". A lot of good that did me on a 9 hr flight! I had a connection from Washington to Los Angeles which was on a 747 and was lucky enough to snag a seat in the upper deck in business class as an upgrade. Nice end to a long trip!

May 14th, 2001, 08:18 PM
richardab

Bill just reminded me of that day off the pilots have been taking on Lufthansa. Don't blame the airline, blame the pilots. i think they want a 35% pay increase. Hell. I only got 3% last year! They are being unreasonable. I think they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

Be careful of flying Lufthansa on Thursdays this summer until this thing is settled.

May 14th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Bill

British Airways has always been the best for me. And Continental has always been the worst...except for Tarom - Romanian Air Transport.

BA flights seem to always be half empty and there's plenty of room to stretch out on the middle row of 4 seats or so and have a good rest. And there's always a fresh supply BREWED hot tea served with a smile. The food is good and there's actually a little pampering going on by flight attendants who actually seem to like their job!

Continental has to be one of the most profitable airlines around. They're crammmed packed full of people with no place to stretch out, the flight attendants give the overall impression that they were fooled into this job with promises of a glamouous career and seem resentful that they've somehow, in their oppinion, become nothing more than flying waitresses. The tea is just a cup of warm water with a do it yourself tea bag. And the food always seems like somebody went bargain shopping.

And finally, Tarom. If you can imagine the stinch of 250 Romanians, who have been traveling all day, all taking their shoes off at the same time, you can pretty well guess what 8 hours in a Tarom Airbus feels like.

I even got a lecture on Freedom by a fellow passenger.

"You are American? YOU are NOT FREE." He said as he lit up a Marboro after takeoff. "In Romania, WE are FREE. You cannot even SMOKE in YOUR country!"

And then the cabin began to fill up with smoke which was actually a welcome relief considering all the bear feet.

And there was not sleep to be had because if there's one thing a Romanian know how to do, it's push the Flight Attendant button. So it was Ding, Ding, Ding...all the way across the Atlantic.

But to give them credit, the BA or Continintal flight attendants would have committed mass murder had everyone started pushing the FA buttons...but for the TAROM FA's it just another day at work.

And to be honest, I did join in the Dinging and it was kind of nice to be waiting on hand and foot without having to get up.

Oh...and the food...it was excellent. The food kind of made up for the smelly cabin.

And there was one other little bothersome detail...TAROM kind of figures as long as they get you there, you really don't need to know about where their gonna stop at in between.

May 15th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Pat

Thanks Bill! Great report! Great sense of humor too.

May 15th, 2001, 03:51 AM
xxx

We flew American Airlines from Chicago to London this spring. It was surprisingly pleasant. Both flights left on time and arrived early. Flight attendants were courteous and the food was tolerable for airline food. But, by far, the biggest difference was the extra 2 inches of legroom between the seats. I didn't think 2 inches would make such an impact!! It was especially roomy (for coach) on the 777. What impresses me the most is that American has done this throughout coach and has not limited it to only a few rows for their frequent flyers. There is a thread regarding American on the airlines section.

May 15th, 2001, 06:36 AM
kk

In the last decade I've always flown Continental from Houston to wherever I was going in Europe--London, Frankfurt, Paris. This year, however, I could not use my FF points on Continental and had to use them on Northwest if I was to go at all (for free). I'd read so much awful stuff about NW that I was dreading it.

I was pleasantly surprised! The food was the best I've had on any airline in 20 years. The liquor was free in coach. The flight attendants were pleasant. All went well...we did the Houston-Detroit-Frankfurt route, and return.
There were only two drawbacks. NW planes seem a bit older and on the way back from Europe, the bathrooms weren't working very well. The attendants did keep getting them back into working order and were even pleasant about doing so. Also, the flights left a bit late (90 minutes), but we did make up time. All in all, I would be fine with taking NW again. (And they even settled their strike before we flew.)

May 15th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Kevin

I've flown to Europe from various East Coast locations 24 times over the past 10 years. I've flown all of the major international airlines: BA, Virgin, United, Continental, Northwest, Lufthansa, American, Pan Am, etc. And I've flown each more than once. The only trend I've been able to discover is that no airline consistently delivers a good or bad flight. I have good things to say about each airline, and bad experiences with them all. It's hit or miss, so I simply go for the lowest fare.

By the way, it's not summer yet.

May 15th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Maggie

Just got back from Boston-Zurich-Prague, Vienna-Zurich-Boston flights on Swissair-----a truly bad experience and we had had high hopes for the well run Swiss!! Plane was an airbus which gave new meaning to the word cramped---I swear the seats were the narrowest we have ever experienced and the leg room non-existent. The food on Boston-Zurich leg was inedible------and I am not a picky eater at all. The meal was cold, chicken sort of grisly--ugh!!

On the return trans-Atlantic leg we requested emergency row seats and were told yes ----unfortunately, when we got to them they were in the row behind. Don't know if it was human error or what but our brief hope of leg room was dashed. Went for the pasta dish on the way back and it was okay.

Ironically, the short hops from Zurich to Prague and Vienna to Zurich were far better----very roomy leather seats, leg room and decent sandwiches. Staff (except for the one who messed up on the emergency row seats) were uniformly professional and courteous. Flights were on time except for the return trans-Atlantic which was delayed for two very long hours. During the delay, no info was provided at the gate where many of us were waiting since we had come in on connecting flights. All in all I'd give Swissair a C-.

May 15th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Mel

I've flown transatlantic on Delta, Aer Lingus, US Airways and British Airways. Delta I would rather not fly again, but would if the price was right. Aer Lingus was small, a bit shabby, but really nice crew. As I've said on another thread about problems with airlines, BA screwed up royally (no pun intended) on one flight, but I'm a FF with them and have taken several trips that were wonderful. They seem to arrive on time even when they depart late, the food is edible and, even if you don't like what they've served, you can count on them returning pretty quickly with ice cream, juice, etc. shortly. Also, I took US Airways Philly to Gatwick last September (because of a great deal) and I was VERY happy with the 330 airbus. It was new, had plenty of legroom, great entertainment system, decent food. I would fly a US Airways 330 again (though their stewards left much to be desired--luckily I didn't make any requests, but woe to those who did!) I will give Virgin a try in the near future because I've read so many positive things about them.

May 15th, 2001, 09:35 AM
bill

american ord to lhr was an hour late because they piddled on the ground in ord. return flt had to be the lasiest crew i have ever seen. they served the worst meal i have had in over 70 crossings and then went nite nite. had to go to the galley for water all day. that crew should be fired, but they probably will be striking soon.

May 15th, 2001, 09:54 AM
mike

Flew Icelandair in March and April. These were my first flights with them and they will be my first choice from now on. Very good food (as good as NWA, which I fly all the time because I'm based in MSP), and newer aircraft (again, compared to what I usually end up on with NWA). Nice crew, very helpful.

May 15th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Chris

Virgin Atlantic to England is the winner. Great in flight food with a Bailey's or brandy afterward & you get a remote control at your seat and an individual viewing screen next to your chair. You can watch any of 4 movies playing at any given time, play video games or listen to music. Also, if you know Brits, you know they're good about their drinks. If you can fly 'em, I would-I'm looking for an excuse to fly them again myself.

May 15th, 2001, 10:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I am with Kevin on this one. I have flown about 6 different airlines and made at least 18 flights to Europe and it really depends on the luck of the draw. Which day--which crew--the weather. I really cannot tell much difference--it is always an endurance contest for me.

May 15th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Jane

Flew from BWI to Shannon recently on Aer Lingus. Won't ever do it again, if I can help it.

Seats more cramped than on most domestic flights I've been on. Food tolerable, although by the time the attendants reached our seats, they were out of one of the two dinner choices. This happened coming and going. (And we were in the middle of the plane, not the last to be served. Seems they could plan these things a little better.)

Overall, the service was lousy. Attendants were unpleasant and unhelpful. After dinner was served, they all disappeared for hours. No one came around with beverages -- we were told we could help ourselves to (warm) drinks that were stacked on an empty seat next to the lavatory.So much for drinking lots of fluids to avoid jet lag.

May 15th, 2001, 01:48 PM
alan

This is from last year. But flew to Europe twice, once on BA, once on Iberia. BA was excellent both ways, very attentive and courteous, good food, etc. Iberia was a lot better than I hoped for after reading all the comments. Food OK, leg room acceptable, cabin crew professional and courteous if not friendly. I usually fly NWA to asia, always had good service.

May 15th, 2001, 02:27 PM
James

I agree with Bob the Navigator. It's always an endurance thing, especially if you fly coach and it's roulette whether your flight is wonderful or not. Recently my Lufthansa plane was dirty and the food was awful. Everything in the plane shook the entire flight. Like riding in an old car. I haven't had problems with Aer Lingus except for the usual cattle car experience. One should always remember US to Europe has tail winds which make up a lot of time. My last two flights from US to Ireland arrived 1 1/2 hours early!!! Both left on time from US.

May 16th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Rita

On our "non-stop" flight via American AL
last October from Paris to Los Angeles, we made an unscheduled servicing stop in Salt Lake City. Every toilet on the plane wasn't working! Told that the holding tanks were full.

May 25th, 2001, 11:37 AM
xxx

xxx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO