Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

it's the annual Oxford/Cambridge Goat Race (or, more reasons to love London)...

Mar 29th, 2002, 10:36 AM
beth anderson

hi all,

another quick post in... only in London (on the Big Breakfast) can you see the annual Oxford/Cambridge Goat Race...

I'll post in a few highlights right now, more later..

reasons to love London:

on random walks, you see sculptures resembling Giacometti artwork in people's frontyards (whether it is genuine or not, who knows...)

you can walk through Hampstead Heath on a beautiful, blue sky, sunny, crisp morning and watch the dogs gamboling around - I think there is a Newfoundland club nearby because this morning there had to have been at least a dozen of them running around.

The Tube Art/Ads! I swear, you don't need a guidebook -just walk around with an A to Z and use the Tube for suggestions on Things to Do. my recent favorites included the November art- In Flanders Field poem, everywhere... anyone have any favorites?

the truly bizarre art exhibits. there is one right now on The Body - don't ask. it looks rather gross but I have heard if you can look at it quite clinically it is very interesting. If I go I will post back...

The incredible people you meet. The other day I had lunch with a gent, another friend of a friend of a friend - he started his own company, he is writing a book & should publish it once he's put some finishing touches on it (I'll be sure to keep an eye out for him) - and he's been quite helpful with my searching. He lived in America for a few years and said he encountered only warmth and kindness there - wants to pay it back whenever he can.

of course Sheila, and Sheila's (and now my) friend the Baroness. Where else can you get not only a personal invitation to stay with a Baroness but also a promise that they will put a paintbrush in your hands once they've moved to their new digs (they plan to redecorate).

Silly place-names. (St. Andrew by the Wardrobe? nuff said)..

anyway, I am in London for a while yet, any questions, post in - I will answer when I can.

The weather is GLORIOUS, by the way...

have a great Easter!!

Beth

Mar 29th, 2002, 10:54 AM
elaine

Hi beth
great hearing from you.
You mean you're not going to see the annual Cheese Race (wherever and whenever in the UK that is)?

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:05 AM
beth anderson

IT' ME!! Back AGAIN!! Having a lovely day with my new friend, the KING of Brunei!! He just happened to bump into me as I was leaving Margaret Thatchers house after tea. She serves the MOST WONDERFUL tea that is especially hand-picked for her somewhere?? in Ceylon by the most charming little Ceylon peasants. She gave me the name of a friend of hers that would LOVE to have me come visit for a few months and so I will TRY to pick the tea, won't it be a WONDERFUL experience? Maybe now the KING or is it Sultan?? is a good bud of mine, he will fly me over in his private jet. Well, of course I will post all this as it HAPPENS because I know you poor saps who read this have nothing as EXCITING as ME ever in your lives!!!!! GOODBYE FOR NOW!!!!

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Sheila

Oh, for God's sakes.........

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:17 AM
beth anderson

nice try- I have a good idea who this is though, by the way - funny how you never get my email address correct (maybe you are aware of the fine lines around cyber stalking - through personal experience? hmmmm...)

it's easy enough to find out who this was though..

and btw, you can't be Beth Anderson, so don't even try..

<wink>

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
S

Beth,
great to hear from you! I loved the Heath! Did you see a lot of magpies? I was amazed at the size of those things
Please-message for the Baroness-I can paint! I can even stencil! call me !!!
Love~

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Flory

I love Beth II's trip report, almost as funny as the original.

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Moonbeam

Way to go Beth...don't let the nut cases stop you from posting your travel reports. I love what you are doing and you have such fun doing it!

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Sheila

Oh, for God's sakes.........

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:54 PM
rob

Beth, if that is the real Beth, lighten up...a little parody is not the same as stalking!

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Pearl

OK, real Beth, you know, don't you when you post your messages they are going to get different responses. I think it is nice to be parodied, lighten up as the other writer suggested.