Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   It's hot in here! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/its-hot-in-here-218964/)

Allie May 10th, 2002 09:04 AM

It's hot in here!

First of all, this is NOT a troll. I am going to Europe this summer. I am recovering from cancer and my chemo sessions have left me quite bald with patches of frizzy hair. This trip is a celebration of sorts- remission!! I know it's going to be humid in August.I really don't want to wear my wig (too hot) and am wondering if my bandanas or head scarfs would go over well in places like Paris or Rome. I'm terribly self-conscious about it.

kate May 10th, 2002 09:12 AM

Don't worry, scarves or a bandana will be absolutedly fine.

JohnL May 10th, 2002 09:19 AM

You go girl, and you'll be fine. As a matter of fact, budget for some beautiful silk scarves while you're traveling. The important thing is, you're THERE. Have a wonderful trip.

Brooke May 10th, 2002 09:25 AM

Allie when Princess Caroline had a rare skin condition and she lost her hair she wore Hermes silk scarves around her head sort of turban style. I thought it looked great. Also you can shoot for Grace Kelly look and just tie it under your chin and wear some chic sunglasses. Have a great trip!!!

Allie May 10th, 2002 09:45 AM

Thanks, everyone for your words of encouragement. It's very reassuring. JohnL, you're right- the point is that I am THERE! I'll try not to lose sight of that. Thanks, again!!!

Mandy May 10th, 2002 09:45 AM

...wear your scarves a la Audrey Hepburn!

elvira May 10th, 2002 09:46 AM

Heck, the shaved head look is IN, so you might end up foregoing the head cover all together (you could get your head tattooed or pierced - no kidding, I've seen both)!<BR><BR>The head scarf wrap a la Grace Kelly still looks so cool even after all these years. You might even look into a pretty hat - not one of those cotton things you scrunch down over your ears, but a pretty straw (city hat, not a beach hat) might actually be cooler than the scarf.<BR><BR>You might get some looks, but no different than you'd get in New York - a little curiosity that they can't hide quite fast enough...<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip - you know what? Why not go into a chi-chi shop in Paris or Rome or wherever and ask a saleswoman for a suggestion? She might have the perfect hat, or a new way to tie a scarf and you'll come back to New York wearing it and everyone will want one and then you'll be a trend setter.... just, please, don't get your head pierced.

Vincent May 10th, 2002 09:52 AM

Or even better, as far as "anything goes" attitude,try London, no judgmental looks, everybody's minding their own business, you'll always find somebody with a "weider" look !

Elina May 10th, 2002 11:36 AM

You can even shave your head bald, and nobody cares. Our minister of enviroment is a woman (in her fifties), and last fall she lost all her hair due to breast cancer treatments. She appeared in public both bald and with lovely scrafs tied different ways around her head. I actually thought that she looked better like that than with hair. Scarfs do look great! And because you are not a minister on duty, you can also wear a cotton bandana.

cd May 10th, 2002 12:11 PM

Hi Allie!<BR>I don't know what kind of wig you have, but they make a "no-cap" wig composed of rows of wefting sewn to elastic bands. They are lighter and cooler than other types of wigs. In our area, we have a wig rack that deals mostly with chemo patients. I bet someone in your area specializes in chemo patient wigs also. Whatever you decide to wear, have a great time!

Betsy May 10th, 2002 07:30 PM

I agree with all, I just wanted to say cognratulations on your recovery and have a wonderful trip! What a wonderful way to celebrate life. By the way, a friend of mine who I think is cutting edge hip, wears bandanas all the time like a cap, tied in back. Way cool.