Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   It's coming home, it's coming home, Football's coming home (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/its-coming-home-its-coming-home-footballs-coming-home-228974/)

kate Jun 7th, 2002 05:54 AM

It's coming home, it's coming home, Football's coming home

England 1 Argentina 0<BR><BR>About time too<BR><BR>David Beckham for Queen<BR><BR>Non English (and Argentinian people) won't appreciate the significance of this, but our fierce football rivally goes back 60 years (the Falklands War was a scrap in the playground in comparison)

Dominic Jun 7th, 2002 05:58 AM

I've just read that bookies expected to take &pound;12million in bets on this one game (that's $17.5 million or 18.7million Euros). <BR>This game obviously meant a great deal financially as much as in footballing terms. 20% of the working population took a days holiday to watch it.<BR>And what a match!!<BR><BR>Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land!

Anon Jun 7th, 2002 06:00 AM

Kate<BR><BR>WELL DONE ENGLAND, agree with that sentiment...<BR><BR>"scrap in the playground" though ??? Try telling that to the hundreds of soldiers who gave their lives for the Falklands!<BR><BR>

marta Jun 7th, 2002 12:49 PM

he laughs best...

x Jun 7th, 2002 12:52 PM

Oh Marta now it's "he laughs best", presume you mean, He who laughs last laughs best???<BR>We got the last laugh though didn't we, after the Argentinians terrible unsportsmanlike behaviour and jeering after beating England at the last World Cup!!<BR>Not content with trying to play us fairly, you trip Owen up on his way to goal!! The penalty was really what you deserved! You only have yourselves to blame. If you had played fair, he probably would not have even scored at that point.

Adam Hayden Jun 7th, 2002 01:21 PM

On yer bike, dyke.

marta Jun 8th, 2002 08:30 AM

Dear X,<BR><BR>I learned it to be "he laughs best who laughs last" Shame on my English teacher!<BR><BR>By the way, I don't deny that you got what you deserved. I'll just add another saying that my father always repeats: Wait and see.<BR><BR>

Uncle Sam Jun 8th, 2002 08:38 AM

Go USA!<BR><BR>Go England!<BR><BR>Go Germany!<BR><BR>Go France....now, all the way home!<BR><BR>US

david west Jun 8th, 2002 04:21 PM

Absolutely wonderful.<BR><BR>It is hard to explain why England and Argentina have such a deep seated rivalry (but it existed lomg before the Falklands).<BR><BR>This is the first MAJOR match Ingerland have won since 1966 in the World Cup. (if you need to know what happened after that ask any passing Scotsman)

Sheila Jun 9th, 2002 12:49 AM

It has been suggested to me the the silver lining on the cloud if England won would be that the English would STOP TALKING ABOUT 1966!!:)<BR><BR>I have to say, however, that I discern real support for the English up here, this time

Adam Hayden Jun 9th, 2002 04:41 AM

What you really mean Sheila, is that the middle class friends of yours who prefer rugby but have decided to support someone at the world cup because it's 'trendy', have decided to support England. <BR><BR>How would you know the general concensus up there in Scotland?

Sheila Jun 9th, 2002 05:07 AM

Actually, I suspect that mostof my rugby supporting friends are going with our traditional second best team.<BR><BR>But my staff, very few of whom could be described as middle class, and certainly are NOT rugby supporters, insisted on getting an extended lunch hour on Wednesday to go and support England. None of the local pubs and clubs in Aberdeen, were taking bookings because they were all full; and believe me, people might grin quietly if England got beat, but they would not turn out in their thousands to support the opposition in the middle of the working day.<BR><BR>The tone in the press and on the radio is different and more supportive; and, in any case, I did not claim to know the general consensus, just that I (personal pronoun) discerned support.<BR><BR>But if your response is typical it will no doubt disappears where it usually goes.